View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Scatters or anyone ... 
Group 1 winner

Post Scatters or anyone ...
Scatters wrote:
I only play the flat races and this is a huge ask, but can some one please tell me the differences in the following race comments that are usually attached to a horses run:

Comfortably
Readily
Impressive
Easily
Not hard pressed
Cosily
Canter
Soon clear

Do they mean all the same thing or is there a slight performance indication from the wording? If there is which one is better and what order?

I also have another lot of comments such as:

Stayed on grimly
Stayed on
Stayed on well
Stayed on strongly

Does this mean that if a horse “stays on strongly” it should get another furlong?

Has anyone done an analysis of the race comments and what they mean to determine form?

Scatters,

you wrote this post some time ago and I was curious if you found the answer, maybe other trainers could comment too.

Thx
Stu

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:37 pm
Group 3 winner

I don't really look at the race review, unless it's a good time - ideally at least 5 seconds below standard.

I also follow the theory of if your horse puts up an official figure of 90 or more first time out, or maybe races over 5f badly then suddenly rated 90+ when over 1m2f for example, then it's a decent horse. But this is how I judge my horses..

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 pm
Group 1 winner

According to John Francome 'cosily' means:

The horse has been whipped and scrubbed along for five furlongs and wins by a dimishing nose. :D

He also thinks every horse looks okay in the paddock as there are never any negative paddock picks on channel four.

Steve

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm
Group 3 winner

An example of what I was saying about ratings and times came to light when I played my game this evening...

He ran over 5f at Nottingham and won by 12l, "Made All. Canter." Handicapper rated him 111 after the race.

It was first time out 2yo and breeding suggests 6f, and after such a good looking effort to the eye, he was only 1.5 seconds under standard! To me, this would then make me wait with him until later in season to put him over 6f which to my mind would make him into a better horse.

After a while, I trialled him against an older horse who had won a few group races over 6f and he won on bridle - making my theory of times and ratings being true to my mind[/list]

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:52 pm
Group 1 winner

Anadin, I never got a reply and to this day I still don't know if there is any difference.

Mark would be the only one I guess who could answer.

It would be nice to know.

Cheers

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]