View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Early Preview - UK Season 12 Week 06 Race 02 English Oaks G1 
Group 1 winner

Post Early Preview - UK Season 12 Week 06 Race 02 English Oaks G1
Please note there are still more entries to come and horses will have raced again before the Oaks. So this will be a live update as we get to the big race.
Maybe the bookie can join in here and give us some early odds to increase the excitement. Trainers please feel free to add anything I have missed or your take on the race. Enjoy all.

Course
Gates aren’t really important here but it is always an advantage to get near the fence so as to not loose too much ground and it being the difference in winning or loosing. All of the runners will have been untested at Epsom and this could throw up a few surprising results. The going will be important too, so at this stage cannot comment to much.

Amys (hackett)
At only start fantastic oaks trial over 2400m at Lingfield on the dirt track when widest runner throughout but still managed to win against some fancied runners going strong to the line. Put paid to 2nd horse Lions den, 3rd Streeter, 4th Bibibeg, 5th Black Ops, 6th Mudjeya, & 7th To The Rescue. That was an unbelievable run and is the deserved favourite in my opinion. Only query would be how she performs on the turf at Epsom but this will be the case for all the starters. Hackett has not left her side and I believe is spoon feeding her. Is primed for a big run. Let’s hope she gets clear running as she likes to race from the back. Hot favourite.

Full Flight (Ryan)
Top class filly who showed exactly what she is capable of at her first start winning doggedly over another classy Oaks hopeful Jeune on the dirt track at W’hampton over 2200m. Made its run from the back to challenge Jeune 300m out with a strong run but didn’t get the better of her till 50m where it started to pull away. Showed its staying power last little bit and is a huge chance. Word around the traps is that this is Hurricane’s best and favourite horse on the flat, and the stable is full of excitement at the future prospects of this filly this season. There is a heavy security presence 24/7 as they are taking no chances of any skulduggery occurring. Her next start will be over 2200m in the week 4 Cheshire Oaks at Chester on the GS going. It will give us a good insight on her performance on the turf with a bit of cut in the ground and if she performs to expectations, could well become favourite for the Oaks.

Golden Coat (D Robertson)
Bold front running filly who at first start at W’hampton on the dirt track over 2600m led from start to finish easily handling her rivals. She will again be racing over 2600m on the turf in the week 4 meeting at Chester in the Ormonde Stks. Will be looking keenly to see how she performs with a little bit of cut in the ground and show the expectations the stable has for her. She will meet Jeune that day and the result will give us a clearer picture of her prospects in the Oaks. Although untested over the Oaks distance is from a powerful stable and could be looking to get decent odds and pull a fast one over the bookie. Respect.

Juene (scatters)
Classy filly just beaten by Full Flight over 2200m at its first start but was not disgraced in that effort racing a little wider than the winner throughout. Second start showed class winning over 2400m on the heavy going at Doncaster racing from a rear position and outstaying its rivals. At its third run raced over an unsuitable distance of 2800m but accounted it self well coming 2nd to the tough horse Coca Cola. Will be racing in the Ormonde Stks in week 4 and is expected to run well. Very good filly but at this stage I think Amys & Full Flight might just have her measure.

Oh So Sharp (J Gorman)
Unraced filly but is entered in the week 5 meeting at Curragh over 2400m, the Listed Curragh Turf Race. Will need to show quality in the race to trouble some of the fancier runners in the Oaks but the trainer has strung a few wins of late and is keeping things close to his chest. Would not be surprised if it puts in a big race but with no form on the board cannot include in my selections. Outsider.

The Last Alberta (giddy)
Another unraced filly looking to upstage some of the fancier runners in the Oaks. Her first start will be in the week 4 meeting at Chester, the Cheshire Oaks over 2200m where it will meet Full Flight. Her performance that day will go a long way in determining her position amongst the runners in the Oaks. New trainer here showing a lot of exuberance and confidence. But you just don’t know until it races. Until then cannot include in my selections. Outsider.

Boinus Longbeard (Hemz)
First start toughed it out for good ½ length 2nd to classy filly Merlene from the K Robertson stable over 2600m on the dirt at Kempton racing from a rear position. Raced 4 & 5 deep first turn costing it a little ground but later managed to get nearer the fence and ran well to the post. It will be racing in the Ormonde Stks at the week 4 meeting at Chester where it will meet Oaks hopefuls Golden Coat and Jeune. Its good performance over 2600m indicates it will stay the Oaks trip all day and the Chester meeting will give greater insight on all the hopefuls for the Oaks. Respect.

Nigella (P Hogan)
On her debut came 11th to the highly fancied Amys and started well from widest gate and managed to find the fence racing in the pack before the first turn at Lingfield over 2400m on the dirt track. Was badly blocked for a run and cost it any chance of winning from the 1100m to the 500m when it saw daylight for the first time and made steady ground to the winning post. Second up run 8th to Merlene over 2600m at Kempton on the dirt track and again started well and found the fence and seemed to have every chance hitting the front about 450m out but could not hold back Merlene and the other placegetters. Wasn’t too far away last start and kept coming to the line over 2600m so should stay the Oaks trip and is from an outstanding trainer. Would not be surprised. Consider.

Cloverfields (staresy104)
The unraced filly is making her debut in the week 5 meeting at York, the Maiden Obsession over 2400m on the heavy going which appears is to its liking. This writer is looking forward with much anticipation on the race being run. With no form it his hard to select Cloverfields but don't dismiss the stable as it has won a G1 and G2 event already this year.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Scatters on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 pm
Group 1 winner

Bad news John - Full Flight may be heading to the USRA to finish her 3yo season and also as a 4yo next season. After doing some trialling a couple of weeks ago i realised shes a much better dirt horse.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 pm
Group 1 winner

Oh no, will miss the challenge but looks like your going to clean up in the US.

Is it definite she is going to the US?

I know there are opportunities in the US but the UK is more prestigious in my eyes. I'm coveting the Oaks :D

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 am
Group 1 winner

No it isnt definite at all buddy, will see how things play out. i didnt really upload a balanced stable at the beginning but the lesson has been learned.

Shes top class now matter what happens this season and i do hope for an Oaks run from her. May be uploading a 1m4f filly on friday depending on how UK goes as i have a nice horse called LADY MADONNA.

Also have a lovely horse for the USA - im not playing game much anymore so will upload her at 2yo so next season i can upload the 3yo. Shes a 6f 2yo called Faithful Friend and she is very good. Some big US races over couse of season for her and I think she will do well. Will come back at 3yo to UK as a 1000guineas hope. Nothing like planning ahead.

Ha, dont think Ill clean up buddy, think thats more your stable than mine.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 am
Group 1 winner

I have a very good 2600 to 2800m and maybe even 3000m colt. I wanted to enter him this season but am thinking of saving him for next season as nothing is as good as him in my stable. The competition will be hot next season with the likes of some of the senior trainers coming back and the huge improvement you have made Ryan it will be very hard next season. He might give me the edge. I don't know what to do as he dosen't perform at 4yo.

Choices!!

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 am
Group 1 winner

Amys will be a cert to start in the Oaks!

Think she will have a great chance in this working superbly at home but there is some tough competition which cannot be ruled out, after such a good first time out performance it was decided that she would not be risked in any more races.

Trainer was quoted as saying,

"Shes the best classic distance horse ever to have came through he`s stable"

During the interview he also said,

The J Gorman trained Oh So Sharp is a must to be watched on its first time out having heard about the great work she been putting in at home and what with the trainers quote of "THE OTHERS MAY AS WELL JUST NOT TURN UP" has to get your attention, Lets just hope she lives up to the expectation and does not finish dead last after a quote like that. :)

The trainers only reservations for AMYS come from the fact that hold up horses do seem to be struggling and that Epsom is not one of her favourite courses, just hopefull the gaps come and her class will show.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:50 am
Group 3 winner

I put up somewhere on the weekend that if all trainers who are intending running their horse in either classic to enter them before this evening (Wednesday) and I will put up some odds on TOM.

I'm going to tell people again in my own topic

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 pm
Group 1 winner

And thanks liam!!

Last edited by Scatters on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Group 1 winner

Latest entry to the Oaks field. First post has been updated too.

Boinus Longbeard (Hemz)
First start toughed it out for good ½ length 2nd to classy filly Merlene from the K Robertson stable over 2600m on the dirt at Kempton racing from a rear position. Raced 4 & 5 deep first turn costing it a little ground but later managed to get nearer the fence and ran well to the post. It will be racing in the Ormonde Stks at the week 4 meeting at Chester where it will meet Oaks hopefuls Golden Coat and Jeune. Its good performance over 2600m indicates it will stay the Oaks trip all day and the Chester meeting will give greater insight on all the hopefuls for the Oaks. Respect.

Last edited by Scatters on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:30 pm
Group 1 winner

I have just met with the Epsom racing committee and they are woeful to the fact that Full Flight might be scratched from the English Oaks!!

One of them was quoted as saying “I can't believe it. This looks like being one of the best fields in years and Full Flight has a great chance. We are expecting a huge crowd because she has a great following and the crowds come for her. I know there is an Australian entry in the race and we don't bloody want them to win the race!! After all it’s the English Oaks for crying out loud!! Oh and please don't quote me on this but I have already put 5000 on her".

Hmm, I think the he was speaking out of his pocket more than anything else. This writer hopes that she races because it is shaping up to be a cracking field.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:51 pm
Group 1 winner

FULL FLIGHT CONFIRMED TO RUN IN THE OAKS IN WEEK 6!!

Any plans to move Full Flight to the USA will be put on hold to give her a run the Oaks at Epsom Downs. The horse will use Chester as a prep run, but with the trip and course far from ideal the run is simply to get her to 100% for the 3rd classic of the season.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:59 pm
Group 1 winner

I just saw the Epsom committee man crying with joy :lol:

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:06 pm
Group 1 winner

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 am
Group 1 winner

3yo filly Cloverfields by the staresy104 stable has been entered in the English Oaks. The unraced filly is making her debut in the week 5 meeting at York, the Maiden Obsession over 2400m on the heavy going which appears it is to its liking. This writer is looking forward with much anticipation on the race being run. With no form it his hard to select Cloverfields but don't dismiss the stable as it has won a G1 and G2 event already this year.

Last edited by Scatters on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 pm
Group 1 winner

3yo filly Nigella by the P Hogan stable has been entered in the English Oaks. On her debut came 11th to the highly fancied Amys and started well from widest gate and managed to find the fence racing in the pack before the first turn at Lingfield over 2400m on the dirt track. Was badly blocked for a run and cost it any chance of winning from the 1100m to the 500m when it saw daylight for the first time and made steady ground to the winning post. Second up run 8th to Merlene over 2600m at Kempton on the dirt track and again started well and found the fence and seemed to have every chance hitting the front about 450m out but could not hold back Merlene and the other placegetters. Wasn’t too far away last start and kept coming to the line over 2600m so should stay the Oaks trip and is from an outstanding trainer. Would not be surprised. Consider.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next