View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TOM 11 - next round of testing 
Handicapper

Post TOM 11 - next round of testing
I have released the race entry page which also incorporates the ability to scratch a horse from a race.

The page should correctly filter for:
- rating (eg handicaps including hurdles and steeples specific ratings)
- maiden status

Each trainer should only be able to enter one horse per race.

Each horse should only be able to enter one race per week.

I haven't yet added any logic to test for eligibility for banded or restricted races. I haven't added any logic to prevent horses without any starts from running in Group races etc altho this may be possible if the business rules are precise enough.

This is BETA testing - it shouldn't do any damage or at least nothing that can't be fixed before noms close for next week.

I would expect that we can decide within 24-48 whether this is ready for use or whether I need to do more work on it. It is by far the most complex page in TOM given all the scenarios and the different business rules so I can't guarantee it will run as quickly as the other pages. That said, it hasn't been that much slower either - fingers crossed.

I simply don't have the time to continue to develop the rest of the pages immediately but will try to get them done by early NY. At this stage, I'm only interested in the core functionality and we may need to keep TOM10 open for selected funtionality.

As always, I appreciate detailed feedback with any errors - eg horse(s), race(s), eligibility criteria etc.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 am
Group 3 winner

Just had time to do some testing

View/Enter Races - all seems fine but the nhc handicap races its only allowing me to enter horses that have run in a NHF race so i think its only taking ratings from them races and not chases and hurdle races

View All Stables - all good

View All Horses - all good but no form

View Your Stable - Says No career starts on all horses and there isnt a edit stable option and a trophy Room with all past group race wins and places and trophies will need to be added to the stables

View Noms - Cant scratch horses from here

Upload a Horse - Uploads not currently allowed. but this season you can upload at anytime

i also cant retire any horses but you can do this anytime in the season if you have the retirement spots left

i have also found if you enter a horse into a race though TOM11 it wont let you you scratch that horse on TOM10 site so be sure to remove the race entry after testing

I did all testing on the nhc side i will do some testing on uk and us later

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:45 pm
Handicapper

Your testing has been first class - it really does make it a lot easier when you get thorough testing and feedback. I realise it takes time but it undoubtedly saves pain later.

1. The handicap eligibility test was missed a key value in the criteria which meant handicaps defaulted to the two flat leagues. Handicaps should now work correctly and separately with flat, hurdles and steeples.

2. There was a small value difference between the scripts in TOM10 & TOM11 to enter a race. This meant that tho both TOM10 and TOM11 worked fined independently ie enter race & then scratch, if you entered a race in TOM 11 you couldn't scratch in TOM 10. I've now changed the script so that you can scratch in either TOM10 or TOM11, regardless of where you entered the race.

3. The retire& transfer options haven't been released for testing yet as such - I've just zeroed the values so TOM11 won't allow you to retire or transfer. I'd prefer to leave this testing till we are sure everything else is working as I don't like testing in prod!

4. I'll try to sort out the minor display problems over the next 24 hours.

5. Trophy room - I'll look at that later but I don't see it as part of the core functionality at this stage. I realise it adds a lot of richness to the league but I simply don't have the time to continue this level of commitment at least in the short term.

Thanks again for the testing David - it does help.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:03 pm
Group 3 winner

No Problem DD happy to help i know how important TOM is for the league

Keep up the good work

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Group 1 winner

Looked at ukra and found the following:

Once entering horse into a chosen race, the NOMS for that race do not show as 1 entered still remains as zero.

Unable to select horses to view previous races and horse info by clicking on the horses name.

everything else seems fine : for example

only able to enter chosen horse once for the week,

only able to enter one horse in a race,

once horse is nominated for a race, when clicking nominate horse tab for the same race i am able to scratch it.

only horses available for certain races have been shown when trying to nominate for races, tested them all ie

2yo... shows only 2yo available to enter no others

3yo... shows only 3yo available to enter

3yo +... shows my 3yo 4yo 5yo that can enter.

maiden races shows only horses which have not won.

Handicaps showed only horses that were eligable (correct age) and had the right rating to get in. 0-80 handicap 2yo mine was 87 did not show as available to enter, GOOD STUFF!

u get my drift im not writing them all! :)

Gender also showing correctly when trying to enter.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:13 pm
Handicapper

Bl00dy hell, you and Dave should go into business as software testers :)

Yep, I have forgotten to add a function to show noms for each race. Will add that to the list.

I also need to complete the following:
- view nominations for a selected race
- view race results for a selected race
- view horse details for a selected horse

I've left this to last as these are information-based rather than transactional. The Enter Race page is by far the hardest to code as there's so much going on and therefore so much opportunity for things to go wrong.

However, I think we're getting close to the point where people can start using the pages within TOM11 which I think are faster and more responsive than the pages in TOM10 which was the whole point of the rebuild.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:41 pm
Group 1 winner

Good work Dodgy, post when u want something looked at and if i got time ill have a look.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:40 pm
Group 1 winner

Would you be able to read this topic for me and give me some feed back regarding how the ratings are worked on TOM. Flat ratings that is mate, ill give you the jist of it quickly, Group1 winning horses are being rated at 90 something which then still lets them enter handicaps of 0-100, there is an example on this topic below of a horse that has not ran anywhere near this standard and is rated roughly 10 below, i guess what im saying and i know you are pretty busy with all you are doing but would it not be good if you could implement it to take this on board before the release of the new TOM that would give a rating of 100 + to group 1 winners as soon as they have won a group 1 race.

Please read the thread as lots of views have been cast, Thanks mate

http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/vi ... 3325#33325

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:03 pm
Handicapper

People need to understand that TOM simply is an information portal that through some dodgy code allows us to access the data from the game engine via the interweb.

In others words, TOM makes no value judgements whatsover, whether it be ratings, noms etc. Indeed, if people make mistakes with the horse's sex, there is no way of checking this.

The issue of ratings may be a valid one - I've briefly scanned the thread - but the ratings are calculated in the game engine (the old CK) and all TOM does is important the results of that into a database to make it easier for people to view it.

The ONLY difference between TOM and the CK is the starting handicap. While each horse has a starting handicap of say 75 in the UKRA, this is only to prevent the rorts of the past where horses could easily run poor in their first race and end up with a handicap in the 30's. It did happen.

However, this would mean a horse that starts its first race could enter a handicap which is obviously not realistic so TOM enforces a handicap of zero until a horse has run its first race in the league.

Hope this answers your question.

In terms of further testing, it's the mighty Group One Levin Classic tomorrow NZT and I'm telling everyone at work I'm on a course :)

I will release the last couple of key functions for testing after noms close this week - upload a horse, retire a horse. I may even get the results pages etc done as well. Once any bugs are fixed we can either migrate to TOM or run both systems in parallel - they use the same DB.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm
Group 3 winner

as long as we can do most of our stuff for the league

im more than happy with that..

appreciate all the hard work Guys

Paul

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:44 pm
Group 1 winner

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 pm
Group 1 winner

Dave im good with the way it is, if it was not for the league i would probably not even play the game, thought that you would be the best person to address the issue as you know more about TOM and how it works more then anyone else. Thanks keep up the good work.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 pm
Handicapper

No worries. It's useful to have these discussions as while there is a reasonable group of "current" trainers, there has been considerable change over the last 10 seasons.

I joined in Season 2 and I think the original TOM was released for SOPL 3.

All TOM was intended to do originally was make the noms process easier. We had to add the results manually at this stage until Mark provided the text extract file and we were able to import all that data.

I then added the ability to upload the horse files.

About three years ago, Dave F rewrote TOM to cater for the multiple leagues and introduced some great new functionality. My involvement scaled back as I've been heavily involved with my local racing club altho I stepped back at the last AGM.

Throughout all of this, there has been a lot of discussion about the league and the game. A lot of the things we want to make the league work better require an on line engine. However, that would require a completely different development model and detract from what is essentially a client app.

Like you, I continue playing because of the league altho my playing time has dried up yet again with work, TOM and other things.

For the foreseeable future, we will need to accept the limitations of the current hybrid model altho who knows where gaming will be in 5-10 years.

Hope this doesn't come across as pontificating but I must admit myself I never expected TOM to end up as it has.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:15 am
Group 1 winner

Tom seems to be more then adequate at the job it does for us to have our league running which to me is all that matters, Im pretty sure that if TOM had not been developed then it would mean no league at all! You have talked about the core functions whilst testing Dave and id have to admit this is all that is really important anyway the extras ie Trainers tables, finances and betting are a great addition but if they stopped working all together would it stop trainers entering, i really dont think so, not me anyway, just being able to see the best ive managed to breed against other horses is all i really like to see it gets a bit boring beating computer game horses by 5+ lengths every group 1. Im sure most others feel the same and anything you manage to sort out regarding the new TOM release is going to be beneficial to all. Thanks for the hard work you are putting in on it mate its much appreciated!

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:43 am
Group 2 winner

Great post Adam, I agree with everything that you said in your last post.
Also great work dave.

Matt

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next