View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 League Handicap Ratings 
Group 1 winner

The minimum rating for entering in Group Hcps should be gone, is this not the case?

Will address the other points in a bit

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:26 pm
Handicapper

there are no races over 5f until week 13 in the US other than a maiden and 2 0-80 handicaps. surely this has to be addressed.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:23 pm
Group 1 winner

If the game ratings are being used then why bother using the 3-run rule to make the league more realistic?? You may as well scrap it. I thought the point of the 3-run rule was so that someone could consider 3 attempts made by a horse and then judge the level that horse should run at, which will be reflected in a high or low rating?? I'm quite shocked there isn't a dedicated handicapper already?? Frankly it makes no sense.

The point of the 3 run rule is that after 1 run, where the horse could have been blocked in or got worked up you may not have a clear picture of the horse's ability. Also, the way the game calculates ratings depends on it's existing rating (which is fair enough) and an approximating mathematical formula. Repeating such a calculation over and over tends to the correct answer (the horses actual rating).

Secondly, the rating in the game is not a "realistic" rating. I.e If you gave Speedito 30lbs and raced him against Canford Cliffs it would not be a draw. If this is something people would like to see we could start off with higher ratings to begin with.

Thirdly, should we exclude the best horses from the handicap? Wouldn't people like to meet the best horses on a level playing field? I'm not saying Scatters should enter his horses in a handicap but I'd like to face Speedito getting 12lbs. Why is Arkle so revered? Because he ran in handicaps carrying the equivalent of John Prescott.

Lastly, I have run a trial 1m race over the straight mile at Ascot using the ratings from this week. and the runners from the 2000 Guineas and the Lincoln.

The first 10 horses were covered by 1 1/2L
In that 10 was the top rated horse (Speedito) and the 2nd lowest rated horse (Heavyweight)
The first 6 were covered by 0.7L
The winner won by a head from the middle of the weights

Pretty sure the chief BHA handicapper would be pleased with that, since the handicap in the last at Kempton was a 7f race and the first 6 were covered by 7L.

As Liam says, what needs changing are the handicap limits due to the changes and that is something I will look at. I think in an ideal world a handicapper would be great, however I don't believe such an intensive job will improve the game in any noticeable manner. I'm happy that the game does a good enough job and I'm going to stick with it for now.

I appreciate the feedback though and I'm happy to change things if it is clearly a problem. I've looked at Babylon and he is probably 2lbs higher than he should be but a strong performance in the listed event has slightly stuffed him. Given that performance I don't think handicaps are the right choice for him.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:14 pm
Group 1 winner

there are no races over 5f until week 13 in the US other than a maiden and 2 0-80 handicaps. surely this has to be addressed.

This is an issue I will look to resolve asap. USRA schedule is not great, next season I have something planned that will be awesome.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm
Group 1 winner

Rich do you know why i cant nominate speciosa for the g3 hcap ack ack in the usa week 6 - cant figure it out bud!!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:42 pm
Group 1 winner

I'm having the same problem trying to nominate Fable for the g3 h/cap Miss Preakness in the US.

I have a sinking feeling it's ineligible because of its rating (91).

Am I right in thinking g3 hcaps are for horses rated 90 or less?

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 pm
Group 1 winner

that may well be why kev but this would be too flawed to use with the game handicapping system

i have horse placing consistently at group level ineligible for the g1 hcap - i think the rating has to be over 95 or 100 or something - which basically means only scatters could nominate a horse haha.

hopefully will be changed

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:25 am
Group 1 winner

I am looking to get that removed, it is because it is rated too highly.

I have removed the G1 Hcp this week and replaced it with a G1, I didnt realise there was a physical mechanism in place to stop entry until recently!

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2