View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Winx 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Winx
It's now called the 'Spot the Aussie Cup' the 'Where's Wally' of horse racing.

In all fairness to the Japanese - they won the Cup maybe 10 years ago and you could feel the vibe that they were going to keep coming out for the rich pickings - then Australia had some horse virus outbreak that killed trainer Vic Rail and a heap of thorough breds and the Japanese Racing Authority banned Japanese horses coming to Australia until it was all safe.
Don't be fooled - Japanese racing is very strong.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:51 am
Group 1 winner

Don't have time to answer all the various replies here- however disregarding the effect of a 1 lb extra weight allowance effectively disregards the effect of weighting in horse racing- it will have an impact and in tight finishes 1lb is more than enough to edge it. Highland reel was racing at 3lb worse off to her at the time than he would have done elsewhere in the world- as I said equivalent to 2 lengths, and was far from his best. He clearly improved in following seasons. Add to this that all his best form was found over 12f. Why don't we measure Winx based on the races she lost as a 3yo before she clearly improved? And thus have those that beat her as better than her? Because it would appear we're holding a different light to winx than we are other horses. And the proximity of Benbatl to her, 2 lengths, away, regardless of how easily you can say she won it, is a far cry from the 5 1/4l that roaring lion put into benbatl at York. That sad enough to me about where she would sit in Europe- a decent horse, g1 placed in the top races perhaps and maybe winning a lesser g1 but nothing special. She had everything in her favour that day and should have beaten benbatl by way further to really prove how good she was.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:34 pm
Group 1 winner

And the simple fact is with Australian racing- to go back to a post about European racing losing its prestige- the best European horses will always stay in Europe- Australia makes it very difficult to get a horse into the country- the quarantine period is 4 weeks, and at the time of the spring carnival it is the closing season in Europe- the Arc is run just 3 weeks before the Cox Plate, and whatever people say, this is still the most prestigious turf race in the world, if not the most prestigious race altogether. It has the history, the heritage, the greats, the track, and the burning desire of the Japanese to win this race, which despite having sent their very best they've still been unable to, shows the kind of race it is. Money isn't everything. Let's be honest- the Pegasus World Cup, whilst a great idea, might be the richest race but it comes nowhere near to the classic in terms of prestige and heritage, as well as being run at the wrong time of year. Just using these two as they are on the face of it very similar races. The fact that horses like Side Glance can go to Australia and win Group 1 races that are worth over £1m, whilst having won at best group 3 races in England, having not won a race in a year and a half prior and not winning another race after, to me shows the disparity.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:47 pm
Group 2 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
Don't have time to answer all the various replies here- however disregarding the effect of a 1 lb extra weight allowance effectively disregards the effect of weighting in horse racing- it will have an impact and in tight finishes 1lb is more than enough to edge it. Highland reel was racing at 3lb worse off to her at the time than he would have done elsewhere in the world- as I said equivalent to 2 lengths, and was far from his best. He clearly improved in following seasons. Add to this that all his best form was found over 12f. Why don't we measure Winx based on the races she lost as a 3yo before she clearly improved? And thus have those that beat her as better than her? Because it would appear we're holding a different light to winx than we are other horses. And the proximity of Benbatl to her, 2 lengths, away, regardless of how easily you can say she won it, is a far cry from the 5 1/4l that roaring lion put into benbatl at York. That sad enough to me about where she would sit in Europe- a decent horse, g1 placed in the top races perhaps and maybe winning a lesser g1 but nothing special. She had everything in her favour that day and should have beaten benbatl by way further to really prove how good she was.

Ok Ubar, I'll put you out of your misery son, Winx is a DUD lol, and benbatl is far superior then her, and UK racing is far more superior then Australian racing, hope I made your day? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps. UK trainers should not aim thier horses to race in Australia all the better for our trainers to keep the purse at home. :wink:

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:51 pm
Group 1 winner

The Arc will always be the Arc and the Derby will always be the Derby and I am not disputing those races but not all Group 1 races are equal and my argument isn't about now but the future.
It's plainly obvious that the world over - except England - that prize money is excellent and reflects what good racing clubs and sponsors can do.
Australia with a small population, approx. 25mil, can pull out staggering prize money when England with it's far superior population, can't - then questions need to be asked.
The great English 3yos will never travel but I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the 4 and 5yo+ horses that are good horses that might have plucked a G1 somewhere or won a few G2's or is gelded or it's a good mare but the breeding potential mightn't be top flight - they are the ones that will come down under - and we're seeing that now.
The average owner is in it for the dough - and when the English owners return home from Oz, telling stories to other owners how their nag double it's career prize money running a place in an Aussie G1 or winning a G2 - ears will prick.
Once the horse is here and it performs well then the chances are the owners will sell to Australian or Asian interests and upgrade their business class seats to first class suites and sip Krug all the way back to Blighty.

It wont be your time honoured races that will suffer - it will be all the others. If English racing authorities keep on keeping on then sometime in the future you will see Listed horses winning English Group races because the G3 and G2 horses (and some G1) are preparing for the Aussie Spring.

I agree about Dubai - the money is amazing BUT from what I know, you can't booze on at the track, you can't punt and you're running a risk getting messy on the town afterwards and half the races are on the dirt which isn't appealing to Euro and Australasian fans. I think Dubai suits the racing market more in America than in England, for example.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3