View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Frankel or So you think 

Frankel or So you think
frankel 63%  63%  [ 17 ]
So you think 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 27

Frankel or So you think 
Handicapper

Why don't we grow a pair and send at least a few group horses over year round as well instead of saying how rubbish aussie form is?

I think we all know this is not going to happen for one reason and that is why bother? with studs being the be all and end all of horses career nowadays sending a horses to australia to run in a race which studs won't see as as prestigious shall we say as a home race makes no sense. It's all about the money in the end and by going to australia you just aren't uping the stud fee.

But with the aussie form it does stand up very well especially the Cox Plate form were SYT beat zipping and Whobegotyou is near enough faultless every horse but 1 had run place in a G1 and 8 in the field had won a G1 sounds like good form to me and tbh i'd have that form over the ARC form anyday

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 am
Group 1 winner

I know it's unrealistic Davey but you know even sending one or two over at group 3 level, unless the owners are Australian or want to keep it at stud there it isn't going to happen, just think that it would be nice for us for a change to send horses elsewhere instead of just expecting for them to come to us, getting better with more british horses going to Dubai and America but the prize money isn't shabby down under, an average race at Caulfield is worth around £50,000 and if the aussie form is "rubbish" then why not head out there and clean up for a decent amount of prize money instead of racing for £2000 over here!

I like Whobegotyou a lot and the cox plate form is very, very good! The fact SYT has won it 2 years in a row is pretty special as well, was a slow renewal but check this out:

'So You Think has covered the last 600m in an amazing 34.92 seconds compared to the last 600m by crack sprinting mare Black Caviar of 35.26 seconds in winning the 1200m Group 2 Schweppes Stakes by a comfortable 5.5 lengths earlier in the afternoon.'

Workforce can chase Poet down, yes... Try chasing that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:49 am
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
i have watched the race a few times now
i am not anti workforce
i do have connection with ballydoyle and have family that work there
and i am a fan of the coolmore opperation and have been known to be a bit biased towards them in the past
But on this subject i am saying it as i see it
i think moore had to throw everything at workdorce yes he went a length
or so clear at the end but he was hard ridden for a good while.

and as for poet yes he gets credability for beating elusive pimpenel and
jan vermer the jockeys ride was tacticly right and those above horses
could not get to him i still think poet is a par horse.

I really like both horses and will certainly eagerly await a clash between the two. For me, I couldn't say which I would back in a race between the two. (the trip would certainly be crucial IMO).

But pjrhodes, you really need to take off those Ballydoyle tinted spectacles and watch a rerun of the Brigadier Gerard again?

Ryan Moore gave Workforce one tap with the whip and basically just kept him up to his work. If you think that was throwing everything at Workforce then I find that amazing!!

Lets hope they both clash this season though.

IMO he had to work too hard to beat a par horse in poet if i was a
workforce fan would not fill me with confidence
first and formost i am a racing fan i love frankel and he not a ballydoyle horse
love good horses whoever trains them
yes do have connections to ballydoyle and do support them want to see them do well
but i dont need to hype up SYT
just say things as i see them with this topic

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

was quite annoyed with DB's comments as much as I respect him, the "worth jack" aussie form??

Maybe my phraseology was a tad unclear.
Put aside the track record, and the seven length victory and just focus on the fact he won a Derby on only his third start. Then on only his fifth start, he belied a bunch of stats that said he couldn't possibly win an Arc, by winning an Arc. It may have been an average Arc, and it may have even been an average Derby, (though still a mile clear of this years' renewal), but it was a ridiculously good double achievement. What So You Think achieved at the same age, over in Australia doesn't even come remotely close, hence in comparison, it's 'worth jack'!!
(The phrase Bart Cummings used in his rant about UK racing which annoyed me, in the same way that it annoys me when people view French, Japanese, American, and Australian racing as automatically inferior because it doesn't take place on their doorstep.)
Even going season for season, I'd still say Workforce comes out ahead, but it will only ever be conjecture, because comparing two horses who raced in different continents, at different ages, over different distances, with vastly differing experience levels, isn't really worth doing if your looking for accurate results.
I respect that people see something with So You Think, far better than this years' form and figures suggest; Rightly or wrongly and to a lesser extent, I've taken the exact same stance on Siren's Song, but having done that, it would make no sense to then turn around and attack the form lines of a Blue Bunting or a Dancing Rain, in order to strengthen my opinion!!
I admire the flexibility of So You Think, though in a small way it makes me doubt him even more, and I hope he turns out to be as good as some believe him to be, but for now I'm not convinced. Maybe, I'm slightly biased because of my Juddmonte loyalty, but I'd like to think that the World Domination fiasco showed that if I am, it's not by much.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:25 pm
Group 1 winner

That is why you are respected pal, come back with a good answer instead of an argument like a lot of people on here, I agree that it is very hard to compare different continents, opposition, times, distances etc, I just personally in my opinion believe that So You Think is a more consistent, quicker and solid animal, notice that I didn't say better either.

Everyone has their opinions I just read your statement wrong about the "worth jack" aussie form and apologize. I too also was annoyed with Bart Cummings rant because he is a bit of a twit anyway and seemed a bit of sour grapes. I was only attacking the form line of Workforce to prove that the win wasn't as solid formwise in my own opinion as to anyone else's which again is opinion and will not be backed up unless they truely ran against each other. Which again probably won't happen as SYT is best over 10 and Workforce over 12, maybe AOB will step SYT up for the King George?

But again he has Await the Dawn as well as I don't see workforce running over 10f again this season so it may never happen but if we are touting the Eclipse or Juddmonte as the "Race of The Century" with SYT, Await the Dawn, Frankel, Canford Cliffs poss Cape Blanco etc then I would hope Stoute would take workforce but again that is 99% unlikely to happen even if the public wanted it and as mentioned by Davey it's all about the money these days and not the public! Just hope we get to see them against each other, all fresh, proper ground etc maybe more than once to see what the better racehorse is!!!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 pm
Group 1 winner

I would certainly subscribe to the theory that Jan Vermeer and Cavalryman are Group 1 winners but not Group 1 animals; However, I think that the performance of Workforce is being downplayed, because people are unwilling to upgrade the performance of Poet; But, time will tell.
I think So You Think and Workforce will clash at some point this year, but doubt it will be anytime soon.
Looking at it, a lot of the entries past and present for Await The Dawn were and are focussed at a mile and ten furlongs. Breeding also suggests ten furlongs should be his ideal trip, so although I certainly wouldn't oppose him staying the twelve furlong test based on his run at Chester, I think if one of the two stepped up to twelve furlongs, it would be So You Think. That said, St Nic appears as if he will have some sort of say at twelve furlongs, all be it, I'm still not sold on him.
The two main targets laid out for Workforce are the King George and Arc. They hope to give him a race before both, but ground and scheduling will play a major factor in that happening. Conditions at Ascot make the Prince Of Wales unlikely, while the Eclipse falls too near to the King George for comfort, so the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud the most suitable. If he did tackle ten furlongs in a G1, it would most likely be the Juddmonte, but a lot would depend on Frankel.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Well Poet was a highly regarded animal as a 2yo and was huge value e/w at 16/1! Be interesting to see what happens this year! The St Cloud race seems very viable I think but would Stoute risk it or send Workforce fresh!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Must admit So You Think has gone up in my estimation. If you take all the hype and the stupid price out of the equation, he ran a very very good race. This was his first actual test this side of the world, and he wasn't far off passing it; I'd certainly now class him as a horse that could give Workforce a lot to think about, though probably more over ten than twelve.
There isn't a hope in hell he wasn't fit today, but something that hasn't been mentioned much is that the UK/IRE and Australian seasons don't sync up. With that in mind, technically the horse is running out of season and could well improve when the Autumn comes. Today showed he is not the best thing since sliced bread, but it also confirmed that he is a damn good horse and that is all I was looking for. The mile to middle distance divisions look uber-strong this year, with plenty of mouth watering clashes still to come which can only be a good thing.
It's just a shame Bart Cummings won't be able to enjoy it as much as the rest of us!!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:30 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree completely with that. At least he didn't trail in last.

And Rewilding is a very good horse who has been messed around a fair bit by Godolphin. They need to calm down, cut out the globetrotting and send the stallions around the world, not the racehorses.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:43 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree wholeheartedly as well, hopefully on that Rewilding has improved as a 4 year old and is another top horse to make these clashes that bit more exciting!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:44 pm
Group 1 winner

Wow, Frankie hit Rewilding 24 times with the whip.

Maybe not such a good ride after all

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm
Group 1 winner

he cant get it right Rich, eased up and lost place at Epsom then hits the shit out of Rewilding. Although most hate him John Mccririck obviously has a great point, these jockeys are not learning from these 2 or 3 day bans and worthy bans need handing out ie 20 - 30 days and maybe then they get the message about horse welfare.

On a side note was totally discusted that Fallon went on BBC tv and complained that the money was rubbish at smaller tracks and it wasnt worth travelling and he was struggling to make a living!!!! Hang on Mr Fallon what about all the punters over the years that you have cost being a bent jockey (and still is in my opinion). Totally thought the BBC was bang out of order having him on tv to millions to complain he couldnt make a good living

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Well getting it right would be something in between. Somewhere between dropping your hands and beating the life out of the horse.

They need to reverse the result. That's the only thing that will stop it, it is the same as using performing enhancing drugs.

Fallon is a joke, all me me me. Yes, prize money is bad but it's bad for everyone. Talk about that Kieron and you'll get more respect.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 pm
Group 1 winner

His comment " Im only going to Kempton cus l have a ride for the boss or else l would not be going" Welcome to the real world where you have to work to make a living!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 pm
Group 1 winner

He should join that celebrity programme where they do other jobs. Get him down the sewers, he'd be right at home with all those discarded needles :lol: Him and needle nicky. :wink:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next