View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 
Selling plater

Post Re: CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
Hurricane Fly won his first champion hurdle at 7? not 5. He has been winning his grade 1's in Ireland against nothing. Solwhit was his main rival through the years and he is a staying hurdler. I have no doubts that My Tent is the horse with the most natural ability in that Champion, the way he pulls like that and still finished up the hill speaks volumes. As for The New One, yes it was unlucky that he got hampered and would have been closer, but there is a slight suspicion I have, as do many others, and that is that he is vulnerable to getting a little outpaced going down the hill when they quicken, albeit that he is always going to be finishing at the end. Jezki is obviously a very good horse when given the correct tactics and should be tough to beat in Punchestown.
After the race we do not have a definitive answer as to who the best 2m hurdler is, and many people will have their opinions as to who they think. If I had to say who I thought is the best 2 mile hurdler around at the moment, it would be My Tent Or Yours, just.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:23 pm
Group 3 winner

I know High Flying, I was meaning that the horse was good enough as a 5yo, even though he didnt make it to Cheltenham until he was 7yo because of injuries, the 5/6yo Hurricane Fly was absolutely electric, he beat that years Supreme winner 10 lengths on the bridle, hes a freak of a nature that he could still be this good as a 10yo.

Of course, My Tent is the fastest horse, he has so much speed but he does not have the full package. The New One as a Neptune winner and not really a natural 2 miler, was always likely to get outpaced a bit in this race, on that ground, against those horses, but despite that, he jumped that hurdle level with Jezki and My Tent and came out the other side nearly 5 lengths down having lost all momentum and still only got beat 2 3/4 finishing like a train. I have absolutely no doubt that he would have won, he would have come under pressure first, but he does more off the bridle and has more stamina than the 2 who beat him. He has his knockers, many of whom will never give him credit no matter what he does now, but I think he earned a lot of respect from a good number of them after that race. My Tent is almost unbeatable on a flat speed track, hes probably the fastest jump horses ive ever seen and given that the The New One is really a 2 and half miler suited to stiffer tracks he done incredibly well to nearly beat him at Kempton.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm
Selling plater

Yeah, he would have almost certainly won the 2009 supreme if he made it there.

As you say My Tent or yours is probably unbeatable on a flat track, especially with decent ground. I hope they keep him over hurdles next season, Reason being that it would be devastated if he were not to win a champion hurdle in his career, it would be a crime him not winning one. All of that natural speed and talent.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:20 pm
Group 2 winner

I hope they keep The New One over hurdles and give him another crack at the champion next year. A true run race with that hill at the end is perfect for him. He perhaps lacks the class of a MTOY but is all heart and keeps finding plenty for pressure. I wonder if they will go to Aintree again over 2 an a half?

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 pm
Selling plater

Pricey wrote:
I hope they keep The New One over hurdles and give him another crack at the champion next year. A true run race with that hill at the end is perfect for him. He perhaps lacks the class of a MTOY but is all heart and keeps finding plenty for pressure. I wonder if they will go to Aintree again over 2 an a half?

Yes they are going to Aintree. Wonder what his opposition will be?

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 pm
Group 2 winner

HighFlying07 wrote:
Pricey wrote:

Yes they are going to Aintree. Wonder what his opposition will be?

I would say maybe Zarkander again? Perhaps Melodic Rendevouz and MTOY. Also Mullins hasn't ruled out Aintree for Annie Power but its far more likely she will go to Punchestown.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:00 pm
Selling plater

My Tent will not go there. Melodic and Zarkandar would probably more than likely go there. Should be fairly easy for The New One, unless Annie Power turns up which would make it very interesting, however like you say she is probably bound for Punchestown.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:28 pm
Handicapper

The New One is my favourite jumps horse. Just love the horses attitude and will to win. In my opinion no horse touches MTOY for speed and natural ability but i feel The New One has more weapons and overall is the better horse just because he is more versatile. For him to get so close at Kempton says it all really cos he would of won in my opinion. My Tent struggled to beat him that day and needed that mistake at the last. The New One in my opinion is the best 2m hurdler in training but needs to prove it

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25