View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 
Group 1 winner

Post CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
I decided to post this because we are obviously all aware of Paddy Power's offer of refunding all losing bets if the favourite wins and after watching a few tipping videos and previews of the Racing Post website, it seems like quite a few people heavily involved in racing think that Sprinter Sacre is unbeatable. I, on the other hand, think that Paddy Power could not have put the offer up on a better race. At the odds Sprinter Sacre runs off at, I don't think he is anywhere near as certain as the likes of Hurricane Fly, Big Bucks, and Quevega. Even Sizing Europe has standout Cheltenham form which could make Even money look a great bet.

I can't get away with all of these 'good things' on the basis of demolishing some small novice races, albeit in good times with impressive jumping. I've been burned on Dunguib, Cue Card, Cousin Vinny who went to Cheltenham on the same merit and maybe that is the reason I think this horse is worth taking on. I just think in the hustle and bustle of the Arkle, something is going to put him under pressure and give him a real test and the one time I have seen that happen, he was beaten! Some people like these flashy jumpers who travel so strongly on the bridle, me being one of them, but I have now learned that at Cheltenham I am better off backing something that has real guts and fights all the way to the line. Therefore with this in mind and with the form on offer, I think backing AL FEROF with Paddy Power is a no lose situation. Firstly, I think he will beat Sprinter Sacre anyway but secondly, if I am wrong, I think Sprinter Sacre is the only other horse that could win the race. BUT I certainly wouldn't be sticking a few hundred quid on Sprinter Sacre at the same kind of odds I could get on Hurricane Fly and that is because one of them is only a potential superstar, with everything to prove, whereas the other is already one of the greatest hurdlers we are ever likely to see!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
i think if Sprinter Sacre was in queen mother CC he would beat sizing europe

banker in my opinion

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

you could be right pjr!!

Maybe I am swayed by the fact it is the second race of the festival and subconciously I could be worried about doing in a wad of cash before the bloody thing has even really started! I just think I could get a cheeky win on the Supreme, or be only a few quid down and then just have a 'safe' bet on Al Ferof rather than go in large on Sprinter Sacre

Must admit though I would be unsure about him winning the Champion on the back of a few novice runs! Would he really be ready for the Champion?? This is what I love about the Cheltenham, the excitement of the build up and the many different debates and opinions!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 pm
Group 1 winner

the bombproof yankee
sprinter sacre
hrricane fly
quevega
big bucks

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Bookies will be crying if they all win!!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 pm
Group 1 winner

Glad to see Unaccompanied in Quevega's race - an actual Group 1 quality horse to challenge her instead of a field of donkeys! I will back Quevega and Unaccompanied in the betting without the favourite market. Did that couple of years back with Voler la Vedette and it was nice and profitable, with the forecast thrown in

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:19 pm
Handicapper

Really don't see SS as a banker IMO as at this moment in time i am not entirely sure that his form against PC was actually form or hweather there was something wrong with PC would have helped if there was a Menorah or even a Kid Cassidy in there just to give the form some strength as it has so many holes in it at the moment that he can't possibly be seen as as much of a banker as

Big Bucks or Quavega

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:49 pm
Group 3 winner

Ive been against Sprinter Sacre ever since he won that egg and spoon race and became a ridiculous price, he does look like a monster, but he will have to be to pull the way he does and win. He is an excellent jumper and clearly has an engine but im worried that his best performances have been on flat tracks and he weakened up the hill last year after travelling like the winner, although that was hurdles and he was always going to be a chaser. I wouldnt mind being on at 7s and he might well romp in but there is no value in odds on about him and Al Ferof, who is the form horse, has proven himself at Cheltenham and is worth a bet against him for me.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 pm
Handicapper

I have taken the offer with Paddy Power as well with Al Ferof being my bet. I still think SS will win tbh, but as the OP mentions, bookies know what they are doing and generally get these things right!

Money has been coming for Menorah but I would be surprised if he makes it over the first half dozen fences & CC isnt adverse to clipping a few either. SS is by far the best jumper IMO and could have them beat before the hill becomes a factor.

I guess we will find out tomorrow! Best of luck, whoever you are on!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 am
Group 1 winner

wakey wakey ruby, can't sit that far off the lead for that long!How can H Fly finish a 2mile hurdle race behind Overturn?Dear me

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:10 pm
Group 1 winner

I thought that Ruby didn't ride the horse like last year, it was a fast pace and he just didn't get a blow in. Zarkandar finished fast but wasn't fit enough for this type of race, well done to Noel Fehily.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm
Handicapper

HurricaneRun wrote:
wakey wakey ruby, can't sit that far off the lead for that long!How can H Fly finish a 2mile hurdle race behind Overturn?Dear me

Judgeing by how the race seemed to run and by the time it would appear that HF was just ran out of stamina in comparision to the sprints he usually contest through no fault of his own in ireland and the Champion Hurdle last year which was run at over 3 seconds slower unless something comes up in the aftermath of the race i would put this down as the explaination as Ruby tried to ride the same race as last year as in get behind the leaders in the bend then ping off before 1 to go and speed clear but the horse seemed run off it's feet.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:

I don't think Ruby could do anything about it. Watching the race, even though they went fast nothing seemed to get into it from the back. The front two pulled a way clear and were up there all the way, I think Hurricane Fly and Binocular have done well to be placed where they were and it probably shows what good horses they were to get into it. Same with Zarkander, he seemed to get outpaced and then flew home, I think this time next year all being well Zarkandar could reverse those placings. I think Hurricane lost it before the race was off he got really stewed up, he looked better than last year I thought but he got himself worked up, had a lot of ground to make up on horses who weren't stopping and possibly his stamina was lacking in comparison to Overturn or Rock on Ruby.

I think if a lot of the jockeys could run it again they'd sit closer to the front two. I doubt any of them thought they'd keep going after setting such a good pace which is why it wasn't a priority to rush the closers.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:50 pm
Group 3 winner

MASSIVE pace bias this year, nothing has really come off the pace today to win barring alfie sherrin.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:36 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree completely Scotty, even Alfie Sherrin wasn't that far behind. I think Darlan and Zarkandar as I said will be ones to look out for later this season and next.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 368 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next