View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Canford Cliffs V Excelebration 
Handicapper

Post Canford Cliffs V Excelebration
Just thought I'd bring up a new topic and would be interested to hear peoples views on who people would favour out of these two great milers, would have been a cracking race. Both beaten roughly the same margin by Frankel.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 pm
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Canford Cliffs V Excelebration
A very tough one and not too sure who would come out on top. In terms of official ratings Canford Cliffs maintained a rating of 127 however Excelebration could only manage 126. Id just have to go on instinct and mine says CC would just come out on top.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:14 am
Handicapper

It is very tough and I don't think you could say for certain which one would win. Excelebration was a 3 time group one winner and would have won a few more if there was no Frankel around and if Frankel wasn't about we would possibly be putting him up there with the best milers. Canford won 5 group ones and I just think he was a little bit of a freak, the way he could travel and quicken, he also won 3 times at the Royal meeting which is a very special achievement, yet he couldn't live with Frankel. Tough but I would probably give the edge to Canford Cliffs.

Last edited by Frankel2012 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 am
Group 1 winner

Well if i had a Mare and it was a choice between the 2 i would take her to CC
i think he was the better racehorse too

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Canford Cliffs without a shadow of a doubt.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Excelebration. CC's turn of foot was always enhanced by running off a slower pace, and as such when he came up against a horse in a race not run to suit ie fast pace increasing to faster he was unable to respond, whereas ex excelebration was still the best of the rest whether the race was run to suit or not. CC would not have beaten goldikova if the race had been run at a faster pace.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 am
Handicapper

Ubar02 wrote:
Excelebration. CC's turn of foot was always enhanced by running off a slower pace, and as such when he came up against a horse in a race not run to suit ie fast pace increasing to faster he was unable to respond, whereas ex excelebration was still the best of the rest whether the race was run to suit or not. CC would not have beaten goldikova if the race had been run at a faster pace.

I respect your opinion but really don't get where your coming from with the analysis of Canford Cliffs, he was a horse who possessed a lot of speed and could go with any sort of gallop, when was he ever unable to respond in his races? It was only Frankel who he had no answer for. Sure the Hannon camp would have plenty to say about that comment.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm
Group 1 winner

CC was a serious horse Ubar and was not even right on the day Frankel beat him
in his career he won 7 from 11 he had a heck of alot of class

Ubar02 wrote:
SiriusChill wrote:
Anyone know why they ran the Turf Mile on the dirt???? :lol: Did you see that turf and those times?

Also with regards to Magician, while he was very impressive, I wouldn't put any money on him getting a mile and a half in England as particularly on the downhill course and with the firm ground as well, it's much more like a mile and two in England. It's a shame he hadn't been seen since ascot, but he will be a horse to watch for next year.

and the Comment that Magician won't see out a UK 1m4 race next term is a bit bizarre
horses generally get further with age yeats fame and glory just to mention 2
he has already won a breeders cup at 12 furlongs so why can he not win a UK 12 furlong race at 4yo does not add up
i think Magician will be a big player in the 10 - 12 furlong division next term
2 mins 23 sec YES is seriously fast for a 1m4 race BUT he saw out the whole trip no problem as a 3yo

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

CC Cv is pretty impressive, never out the first 3 and won 7 of his 11 starts. Drifted markedly in the Greenham when he would probably have won, then I thought the dip caught him out in the guineas as he was travelling better than any going down into it. He has then shown he is better than the two infront of him in that race. As Pj says he was a serious horse and possessed a great turn of foot.

Magician is bound to get the 1m4f in the U.K, no reason why he won't. He should be a major player in the major 10f, 12f races next year.

O'Brien got a pretty strong group of older horses to look forward to next year in the major middle distance races, Kingbarns/Ruler of the World/Magician. Will be interesting to see how he plots out each of there campaigns.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 pm
Group 1 winner

I know for a fact there was nothing wrong with canford cliffs in the Sussex, and I still think excelebration was better as he had a similar turn of foot to cc but was also able to operate off a faster pace whereas all canford cliffs wins came in slower races where top speed was more crucial and it was more of a dash for the line.

My point about magician is that 12f round Santa Anita on rock hard ground with the first 2 or 3 furlongs being downhill is a lot different to good ground around ascot- Santa Anita is a particularly easy course over a 1m4 on the turf for horses unsure of stamina. Yes, he appeared to stay on at the end but that would have been in part down to the fugue slowing due to being in front for so long and idling slightly and tiring as well
This video illustrates my point well http://youtu.be/F0cyKvkcKx4

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 pm
Group 1 winner

Ubar02 wrote:
I know for a fact there was nothing wrong with canford cliffs in the Sussex, and I still think excelebration was better as he had a similar turn of foot to cc but was also able to operate off a faster pace whereas all canford cliffs wins came in slower races where top speed was more crucial and it was more of a dash for the line.

My point about magician is that 12f round Santa Anita on rock hard ground with the first 2 or 3 furlongs being downhill is a lot different to good ground around ascot- Santa Anita is a particularly easy course over a 1m4 on the turf for horses unsure of stamina. Yes, he appeared to stay on at the end but that would have been in part down to the fugue slowing due to being in front for so long and idling slightly and tiring as well
This video illustrates my point well http://youtu.be/F0cyKvkcKx4

my god that horse absolutely flew home

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Broad appeal Negishi stakes 2000

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]