View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 British Champions Series/ British Champions Day 

What do you think about BCS?
Success 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Indifferent 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Pointless 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10

British Champions Series/ British Champions Day 
Group 1 winner

Post British Champions Series/ British Champions Day
It's now entering its fourth season of existence, with yet more 'exciting' innovations, so I think it would be interesting to hear your thoughts- has it made a positive difference to racing? Has it made any difference at all? Is it a waste of time and funding? Is Champions Day all it's built up to be?

I'll start the ball rolling by saying that I don't really see the benefits it has brought, to me its just a glossy rebranding, I know some leading figures have praised it but I can't really see that it has made any changes. I also think that Champions day is massively overrated, as because of where and when it is you can throw form for the rest of the season out of the window and whilst there is good racing, on the whole I find it to be quite unsatisfactory, in particular last years edition in the mares race and the sprint.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:14 pm
Group 2 winner

Post Re: British Champions Series/ British Champions Day
I think the series has been a success, the prize money and quality of top racing has been good. I've been to all 3 champions days so far and I quite like it. It has an end of season feel to it but still produces some quality racing including in my opinion the race of the year last year between fahr, Cirrus and ROTW.

I'm still not sure it's in the correct spot on the calendar sandwiched between the Arc and breeders cup days but I'm not sure where else it could go, it

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 pm
Group 1 winner

i do like it but it can be improved

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

The ground ruins the races imo. Hugely favours soft ground horses. And where it is some of the best horses will go to France or America.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:43 pm
Group 1 winner

Ground situation could be averted by running at a different course, Newmarket was never as soft as Ascot, problem is apart from Ascot only other viable course would be York but weather would potentially be worse, as I suspect it wouldn't ever go back to Newmarket. timing appears to be set in stone now with Irish Champions weekend starting up

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:18 pm
Handicapper

I say it's pointless because no one ever aims to be at the top of a division. It doesn't give you anything. No new races added either.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]