View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Breeding diary 
Handicapper

Post Re: Breeding diary
Mwestwood wrote:
The point I’m trying to make is by this topic alone I see the same players hitting 100% potential horses in some cases very very often and then a few like myself who have put hours into the game and bought every single horse and have not even got close to that ?

I've played on average 5 or so hours per day since SO7 was released into Beta and from day 1. I get through maybe a season a day and average 150 horses in my racing stable. I have managed to get a few 100% unrealised potential horses and only 3/4 who made 100% realised. My best crop of horses by far have come in one game breeding to one stallion who took apart legends. That got me some mares with 90-100%. Then they eventually foaled one stallion elsewhere that got me my first 100%. Once you have 'the one', and you breed everything to it, it's still difficult to get 100% realised potential, but 90 comes along more frequent. Though I do have around 100 yearlings a year so my chance would be greater than if you only had 10 or so.

Mwestwood wrote:
If I had found 1 95% horse or maybe a 90% after 5000 horses but to not find one and then return to the forum to see screenshots of players having 5 or 6 of them just is a bit baffling

Like I mentioned above, the main reason people have more than one is that they've managed to get just one, which then leads to more.

I've never found anything at the weekly, 1yo or 2yo auctions across all my games so stopped visiting after a while. I started with some 70-75% mares from breeders auctions I'd collected in my transfer pool and bred to the sire mentioned above. Though I had about 20-30 mares, bred them all to him and ended up with around 7/8 of those getting to 90%+ as 5yo. If I'd bred 4/5 horses, chances are I'd have ended up with donkeys and I know I've missed out on some other very good AI stallions by doing just that.

From my perspective on breeding, I very rarely, if ever breed to horses from my chosen racing country. The foreign horses, especially at game start tend to be superior (from using a UK flat perspective I tend to find South African horses the best, but more in general for sprinters, USA for middle distance and Australia for stayers...though I'm sure others would disagree).

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:18 am
Handicapper

ikem007 wrote:
Mwestwood wrote:
The point I’m trying to make is by this topic alone I see the same players hitting 100% potential horses in some cases very very often and then a few like myself who have put hours into the game and bought every single horse and have not even got close to that ?

Mwestwood wrote:
If I had found 1 95% horse or maybe a 90% after 5000 horses but to not find one and then return to the forum to see screenshots of players having 5 or 6 of them just is a bit baffling

I am one of those who posted screenshots of high potential horses. It has taken me 200+ seasons to get these horses. I stopped going to auctions after about 30 seasons because I never found a horse at auction with more than 85% potential. The best way I have found to improve my horses is to breed with gamebred stallions in the barn.

Some people may call this cheating but I didn't play just one standard game, I played several games and imported the best horses from each game into my main saved game which now has loads of good horses in it.

If you have been playing SO7 for some time you should have some mares who have 60 - 80% potential. Export about 8 of these mares to the gamepool. Now start a new saved game but set the game to advance 10 years. I created a short 4 month schedule just for breeding. I wasn't interested in winning lots of races, just breeding horses. It takes my computer about 20 minutes to start the new game. Sell the 5 horses at the start of the game. Buy the breeding barn and look at the gamebred stallions. Here's one I just did.

Look at all those great looking gamebred stallions with lots of G1 winning offspring.

Now import those 8 mares into this game and breed with the best stallions. Skip thru the season until you can see the new foals. If they are any good, save them to the gamepool and import them into your main saved game. Sometimes you find just one stallion that produces a good foal, try repeating the breeding the next season with that one stallion and all 8 mares.

If there are no good foals, try repeating this process until you get some good foals.

What kind of foals should you be looking for?

It would be great if you found a 100% stallion but I found that initially I looked to improve my 75% mares to say 85%. Then repeated the above process to improve my 85% mares to 90%. There's now more chance then of breeding a 90 - 95% mare with a gamebred stallion to produce a 100% stallion of your own. I can't remember exactly how many times I had to do this but probably at least 20 -30 times always keeping the best mares to import into a new saved game.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:42 am
Group 3 winner

Jim It's interesting that u improve each bar separately , I just improved mine altogether in SO6. It goes to show there's lot of different ways to get great horses. Is it my US game but there seems to be a lack of long distance horses in game, a lot of horses that run in long distance races seem to have distance around 1m4.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am
Selling plater

Jim Murray wrote:
ikem007 wrote:
Mwestwood wrote:

Mwestwood wrote:

I am one of those who posted screenshots of high potential horses. It has taken me 200+ seasons to get these horses. I stopped going to auctions after about 30 seasons because I never found a horse at auction with more than 85% potential. The best way I have found to improve my horses is to breed with gamebred stallions in the barn.

Some people may call this cheating but I didn't play just one standard game, I played several games and imported the best horses from each game into my main saved game which now has loads of good horses in it.

If you have been playing SO7 for some time you should have some mares who have 60 - 80% potential. Export about 8 of these mares to the gamepool. Now start a new saved game but set the game to advance 10 years. I created a short 4 month schedule just for breeding. I wasn't interested in winning lots of races, just breeding horses. It takes my computer about 20 minutes to start the new game. Sell the 5 horses at the start of the game. Buy the breeding barn and look at the gamebred stallions. Here's one I just did.

Look at all those great looking gamebred stallions with lots of G1 winning offspring.

Now import those 8 mares into this game and breed with the best stallions. Skip thru the season until you can see the new foals. If they are any good, save them to the gamepool and import them into your main saved game. Sometimes you find just one stallion that produces a good foal, try repeating the breeding the next season with that one stallion and all 8 mares.

If there are no good foals, try repeating this process until you get some good foals.

What kind of foals should you be looking for?

It would be great if you found a 100% stallion but I found that initially I looked to improve my 75% mares to say 85%. Then repeated the above process to improve my 85% mares to 90%. There's now more chance then of breeding a 90 - 95% mare with a gamebred stallion to produce a 100% stallion of your own. I can't remember exactly how many times I had to do this but probably at least 20 -30 times always keeping the best mares to import into a new saved game.

Thanks pal, I’m very interested into seeing everyone’s take and approach to this game. My aim was to find a 100 potential game horse as then l think you will never beat that once you get deep into your lines but it sounds it may be a one in a million chance so get the best l have and use another method and maybe aim to get it 3rd gen.

By any chance have you shared your short format schedule ?? Would be interested in taking a look

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 am
Handicapper

Some short schedules that I created. They are not anything special but you are welcome to try them.

https://app.box.com/s/1gtqw1k63byh6mmk0yj38k0djvn4qygu

There are two folders in the download above. The folder called "Jim's Mods" goes in the mods folder of SO7 in the programs folder and the contents of the "Schedule" folder goes in the Exports folder in your document\saves folder.

There is a short UK schedule and a short US schedule that lasts about 5 months. They don't have every big race in them, they were only created for my quick breeding program. Feel free to modify them as you wish.

Jim

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:11 pm
Handicapper

ghosty wrote:
Jim It's interesting that u improve each bar separately , I just improved mine altogether in SO6. It goes to show there's lot of different ways to get great horses. Is it my US game but there seems to be a lack of long distance horses in game, a lot of horses that run in long distance races seem to have distance around 1m4.

Hi John

In SO6 I could do several bars at the same time but in SO7 I never found just one horse that had good all round bars. I found a couple of horses with good potential but poor bars in everything else. The same was true for the other bars I wanted to improve so it ended up being one or two maximum at a time. The most difficult bar I find to keep high is the cruising burst. For some reason I can get the other bars to breed fairly true except the CB.

With regards to long distance horses, I have never found any good ones in my US game but that may be because I don't have any races longer than 1m 4f in it.

Found a few half decent longer distance horses in my UK combined game but haven't done any serious breeding with them, mostly I have concentrated on the shorter and middle distances. I have been havibg problems with my sprinters so spent a lot of time on them. Up until the last couple of patches I had loads of horses who were sprinters at 2yo and 3yo but when they turned 4yo their distances jumped to 1m 2f for some reason but the latest sprinters seem to be breeding true.

The Avg Breeding distance is wonky. I have middle distance horses whose avg dist is 6f but they run best over 1m 4f. I have 1m 2f horses whose best distance is 2 miles. I just ignore the avg dist and base the distance I race horses solely on the stamina bar. It's because as 2yo I race horses at 5f - 7f, then race them as 3yo at 1m 2f and then when they turn 4yo they are racing over longer distances as their stamina bar goes up with age.

Jim

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm
Group 3 winner

I noticed that as well, u thought a horse was a sprinter then It's bar goes up to a miler and they turn out poor. Another thing I noticed with that is when they are sprinters they are front runners but when the stamina bar goes up they change running styles. I don't have much time to play these days but a few things like have wrong distances on horses gets on my nerves, all my horses on SO6 were right.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:58 pm
Handicapper

Just to give you breeders some encouragement with looking for horses above 90 potential.. I found this through persistence and patience. I have been in most of your shoes, frustrated at not been able to get past 85% potential, but keep trying. makes you want to play longer and when you get something you'll be satisfied. There are definitely horses out there, just gotta take the time. Like Jim mentioned before a good way to find these type of horses are to breed with your mares to international horses and anything that has won a group1 to 3 race, and there breeding have multiple offspring over 100 rating.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 am
Handicapper

Found another game horse at 95% potential, so just gotta be persistent as mentioned in my previous post.. This is only 8 seasons into a new game..

So i am breeding everything to it to see what it produces.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:34 am
Group 3 winner

I think the good thing/different thing about this game compared to other starter orders games is u never know if a horses potential is going to go up, u knew all horses in other SO games were going to go up and by how much but it's not like that in this game. I had a 90 percent 3yo who I thought would easily get full by 5 but only improved about 2 percent when got older and other times u think a horse has no chance to get full and yet nearly gets full. I find it interesting game even if I don't have full potential.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:36 pm
Selling plater

Mwestwood wrote:
nighthawk wrote:
Mwestwood wrote:
Multiple games and restarts and no 100 pot right up too 5yo ?

Game it be the game updates not working or what ??

As an armchair game designer, I'd make sure that restarting the game constantly trying to find a 100% potential horse is the kind of thing that a player *couldn't* do to short-cut the realism of the game. Playing the game that way is not the experience that Mark is looking to provide his players, nor should he based on his goals and vision for the game.

Those of us who use these tactics, while a perfectly valid way to play the game (because your way of playing is just as valid as any other, but I draw the line at blatant cheating), is not the intended play style that Mark is designing for. So, we have to work harder to try and get around the game systems that are in place.

Regarding whether the game is working for the purposes of finding or breeding 100% realized and potential horses, with some hiccups it seems to be functioning as I would expect. Mark's made it harder to create these kind of super-horse beasts in SO7 to add additional realism and challenge to the player.

Hi pal,

I fully understand what you are saying and in fact it’s what the game draws many players in is tomfind that special horse! The point I’m trying to make is by this topic alone I see the same players hitting 100% potential horses in some cases very very often and then a few like myself who have put hours into the game and bought every single horse and have not even got close to that ?
Is the game that varied that a certain version can create these special horses horses and not in others ???
It’s not a complaint I love SO and think 7 is the most detailed and deep yet BUT it seems to work with some people techniques and not others which is a bit crazy ? If I had found 1 95% horse or maybe a 90% after 5000 horses but to not find one and then return to the forum to see screenshots of players having 5 or 6 of them just is a bit baffling

Apologies for the condescending tone of my post; it was unintentional. I understand the frustration.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:41 pm
Group 3 winner

My first full potential horse . :D

I know people think its not possible but ive not played that much .

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:57 pm
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:

Been sayin this for weeks if not months :lol:

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
ghosty wrote:

Been sayin this for weeks if not months :lol:

I’ve just got a 100% potential 3 year old colt, it’s definitely going in the breeding barn. It was a starter horse so it is possible to get 100% potential horses as starter horses and in game. Just takes time and patience

It’s a 1 mile 3 furlongs colt and it’s won the Irish triple crown :D

Yasmin

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:35 am
Group 3 winner

Yasmin i hope u saved him first . :D Even if he doesn't pass it on straight away u got to keep breeding to him.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next