View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Casual player question. 
Selling plater

Post Casual player question.
I have both SO6 and SO7 but i do not have much time to play and develop a full breeding program. My question is what game is better for a casual player? i have read many posts about the difficulties people are having with SO7 so is SO6 a better game? I have also noticed a lack of mods for SO7 and the lack of being able to trade horses in both 6&7 has kind of put me off starting the game again but i would like to give it a go again.

So what version of the game would you currently recommend?

P.S sorry for the rambling lol.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:19 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Casual player question.
My answer was daft and Yasmin answers much better.

Last edited by dragontrainer on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:46 am
Handicapper

I’d say SO6.

If you want pm me and I could send you a save with some horses in and you could try retiring to the game pool and putting them in a save of your own for SO6?

Yasmin

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 am
Selling plater

For a casual experience probably SO6 but you are missing out on the new features and improvements of SO7 which is a much better game in terms of realism and longevity (because it's much harder to dominate).

Can the breeding in easy mode in SO7 made similar to SO6? This would give casual players more of a way in and stop the complaints that SO7 is too hard while not ruining the game for those that are more happy with the increased difficulty?

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:21 pm
Handicapper

Here's what I'd recommend for SO7, beginner:

Start easy difficulty, and until other schedules have more play testing, UK flat.

Sell every beginner horse that doesn't look like it will win graded races. (so 80%+ potential, 75% or better speed, 30-50% cruising burst and several other bars at least half, 50% jump speed if jumps). You will probably sell all of them. You get nearly half a dozen. It is fine.

In easy difficulty the base breeding barn is also much cheaper. Buy it immediately. Not the more expensive stud barn. Don't buy any other buildings, and if your barn is empty, set all feed and staff levels to minimum.

Now since breeding is more important, so are bloodlines. Start going to the races! Pick up any mares that had a nice win in claimers, won a lot of claimers, or were sent to a claimer after an odd drop in class (like three starts which are: place in a novice, win a maiden, then sent to a claimer, I love those!). If the mare looks like it can win a non-claimer, give her a shot. If not, retire these to the breeding barn immediately. Also, anytime you see a horse win something well, check out his breeding. Start deciding what sire lines, or blue hens to look for when you breed to better sires, or buy in breeding/yearling sales. I never buy two year olds.

Now, go to the sire side of the barn (all AI for now). Sort by fee, lowest to highest. Pick the cheapest group/graded winners to cross with these mares. I'm talking 4 figure, low 5 figure cheap. If you see a lightly raced stud, with no group wins, but his produce numbers are good (AEI > .75, > 50% winners, at least 10% group winners), and he is as cheap, breed to him too. Match distances within 1-2 furlongs. So if the mare was a 6f horse, breed to 5f-7f horses. Longer go up to 2f different. Look at the race record, not the breeding indicator.

If any of the foals you produce look like they would run (same criteria for keeping a starter horse) then run them and see if you get lucky. If they win some, and are a mare, retire and breed. Only keep a stud if he wins you enough all by himself to buy you that stud barn. But probably you'll sell most of your first two years worth breeding. Keep buying mares and expanding stalls as you see prospects. Get a few cheap upgrades, like horseboxes or starting gates. Don't worry about the expensive broodmares at broodmare sales the first couple of years. But if a cheap (usually older one) is for sale and she has produced 2-3 stakes winners already, grab her. Do this until you always have several million and maybe half a dozen mares that have won handicaps as homebreds to retire.

Now you have enough cash to work on buying barn facilities, and expensive broodmares. And start picking mid-tier studs to breed with. By now you'll have an idea of the lines in your game. Don't overextend your finances! If you are cautious, within about 10-15 years game time, you should have all buildings, set staff/wages/feed back to highest settings and can buy an expensive broodmare or two if you like her in the sales. You can also pinhook in this stage (buy a yearling at the sales, sell it at two). So carefully, without overspending in any year, start buying the buildings, better stock and paying slightly higher stud fees.

By the end of this stage you should be able to produce some first and second generation G1-G3 winners. So retire and breed them with the very best you can breed to or buy at sales in the game and you are well started. I never really worry about money past this point, and that is on normal. One of your homebred G1 winners will be a stud eventually, so retiring him to breed at the end of his career will save on some breeding fees. Only use him with mares he compliments. Keep using game studs as well.

I find SO7 easier to start this way, with no betting. Bet cheat method described elsewhere makes either one easier.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:51 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Can the breeding in easy mode in SO7 made similar to SO6? This would give casual players more of a way in and stop the complaints that SO7 is too hard while not ruining the game for those that are more happy with the increased difficulty?

This will probably be happening for the mobile game as it has a much more casual audience. Someone suggested this before (for easy mode only) and it is a possibility.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:37 am
Group 3 winner

redfred wrote:

The "League" mode offers a more consistent breeding model more similar to SO6, of course the cost is that the stats are hidden.

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:33 am
Selling plater

Hechicera I've been employing similar tactics and have played ten seasons on easy with a measly two G3 2yo successes so I don't buy it. AI trainers only sell donkeys and even when you breed two group winners you only have about a 5% chance of progeny that win a half-decent race. I'm fed up with 80-85% potential horses that never perform, I'm fed up of the strange lack of softer going in the UK ffs? SO6 is too easy but SO7 has gone ridiculously too far. I keep checking the board in the hope that there'll be something to make this game as good as it should be but seems I wasted money on SO7. I won't buy a further version until I see consistent good reviews. In answer to the original question SO6 every time, might be too easy but SO7 is demoralsing

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]