View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 How to Breed Successfully in SO7 
Handicapper

Post How to Breed Successfully in SO7
Firstly, some people may call what I am about to describe as "cheating", but this works whether you start a new save or are in the middle of a saved game.

I am on season 84 of my main flat save, I am sure others have gone thru even more seasons. I wanted to make sure what I am going to describe still works so I started a new Flat save just to make sure. The save is only 13 seasons old and I have a multiple G1 winning horse.

I started the new league save with 5 years auto advance so that there would be a good selection of gamebred stallions in the barn. I checked the 5 horses and they were all quite poor, so I sold 4 of them and kept one to help me advance thru the game quicker.

First thing I needed was money, so I used the betting cheat to quickly obtain about £10 million. If you have an established saved game, you won't need to do this next bit.

Next, I visited every Friday auction. I stayed away from the yearling and 2yo sales as these horses are often overpriced. I bought every single mare, checked their bars, especially the potential bar as I feel this is the most important bar, followed by the extra speed and cruising burst bars. I took the age of the horse into consideration but only kept mares with 50 - 65% potential. I managed to find 17 mares over the course of the season.

Now that I had a smalll stable of mares I could start to check out the gamebred stallions. I saved the game and made a copy of the save.

I looked for the best 17 stallions in the barn and then bred one stallion for each mare. I advanced quickly thru the sesson using the original horse from when I started the save.

I now had 17 foals in the barn. I wasn't really interested in the bars of the foals, I wanted to see the bars of the gamebred stallions.

If you don't already know, this is how to see the gamebred stallions bars.
Look at the green bars of one of your foals. Now at the top left of the screen you will see the names of the sire and dam. Click on the sires name and you should see the stallions green bars.

Go thru the foals one at a time and take a note of the best gamebred stallions, paying particular attention to potential, extra speed and cruising burst. These are the stallion you will do the serious breeding with.

In my case, I found a stallion with 90% potential as a 6yo and another with 97% extra speed, but the best cruising burst was only 50%.

I re-loaded the saved game I made a copy of above. Now I bred my 17 mares with the two good gamebred stallions and these were the best two foals.

I raced these two horses as 2yo, the filly won a couple of novice races but her main use was going to be as a breeder in the barn. The colt was brilliant. I raced him until he was 4yo before sending him to the barn. He won multiple G1 races.

In my main game which is 80+ seasons old, I still go thru this process every 5 years or so, looking to improve my horses.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:45 am
Group 3 winner

Post Re: How to Breed Successfully in SO7
very interesting jim
im only doing a flat only game and done about 46 seasons
now everything in sales are terrible
also of all the hoses i have had or breed with i dont have 1 horse 1m 6f+
every horse in sales running over these 2m or 2m4 all bars are terrible
i got good cruising speed bars with my horses but like i said i cant find 1 at 1M6+
i know the combined game is the best but takes to much time to do this
and i dont time to do this but i think i got the flat stable spot on my best i think
your comments and help have been very very helpful on here jim
all new managers should read this
good work jim

Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:42 pm
Handicapper

Hi Del

In my game, my long distance horses tend to have 80+% stamina, so when looking at the gamebred stallions, look for stamina.

Also, instead of breeding with the gamebreds with the best racing records, look for stallions to breed with that have progeny that have won over longer distances.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:48 pm
Selling plater

Hi Jim, this seems like it would be very helpful to a beginner like me but I don't seem to be seeing the gamebreds green bars. I'm not sure if I am missing something.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:14 pm
Handicapper

Sc00sh wrote:
Hi Jim, this seems like it would be very helpful to a beginner like me but I don't seem to be seeing the gamebreds green bars. I'm not sure if I am missing something.

First, you can only see the gamebreds green bars if you have bred a foal with the gamebred.

Once you have bred the foal, look at the foals green bars. Now if you look at the top left corner of the screen, you will see the name of the Sire and Dam. Click on the gamebreds name and you should see his green bars if he is still in the barn.

If you still can't get it to work, let me know, I will try to post pictures.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:59 pm
Handicapper

Jim Murray wrote:
Sc00sh wrote:

First, you can only see the gamebreds green bars if you have bred a foal with the gamebred.

Once you have bred the foal, look at the foals green bars. Now if you look at the top left corner of the screen, you will see the name of the Sire and Dam. Click on the gamebreds name and you should see his green bars if he is still in the barn.

If you still can't get it to work, let me know, I will try to post pictures.

Curious what version of SO7 you're playing? I lost the capability to see the game stallion's stats after updating to either 1.054 or 1.055, can't recall which. Perhaps it's limited to league mode? Are you playing offline or in league mode?

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:38 pm
Handicapper

marklaker wrote:

Curious what version of SO7 you're playing? I lost the capability to see the game stallion's stats after updating to either 1.054 or 1.055, can't recall which. Perhaps it's limited to league mode? Are you playing offline or in league mode?

I only play League Mode.

If I have time this evening, I will start a "normal" save game and see what the score is.

Edit: Just tried a non-league saved game and you are correct, the bars are not visible.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 pm
Group 3 winner

delmonty1964 wrote:
very interesting jim
im only doing a flat only game and done about 46 seasons
now everything in sales are terrible
also of all the hoses i have had or breed with i dont have 1 horse 1m 6f+
every horse in sales running over these 2m or 2m4 all bars are terrible
i got good cruising speed bars with my horses but like i said i cant find 1 at 1M6+
i know the combined game is the best but takes to much time to do this
and i dont time to do this but i think i got the flat stable spot on my best i think
your comments and help have been very very helpful on here jim
all new managers should read this
good work jim

And my problem is almost the opposite.

I have a game where I have more than my share of flat stayers that I'm trying to breed to speed horses and with some success but I have a lack of sprinters. This game is a flat game so no chance of a national horse or any stayer over jumps as when tried the 2m flat horses are mainly 2m chasers and not that good.
My problem is finding sprinters in any of my games. Whether that is 5f-6f flat or 2m over jumps the problem is the same.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]