View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Best way to win... 
Selling plater

Post Best way to win...
I've started a few careers on SO6.

A few at easy difficulty, medium etc...
A few with easy training mode and a few without....

Basically my point is, I never win a lot of money!
The only time i've ever got money is by selling my horses either right at the start or after a few wins at a decent class level.

Obviously, I don't want to sell my best horses to raise money and I am not a fan of flat races so don't like to include it so I can bet big bucks on Frankel.

I need tips lads!

Everytime I put a decent horse in a decent class or trophy race it gets nowhere near or comes second, will never win! It's quite frustrating and I always need to restart a game because of going into debt.

Also, with buying horses I tend to look at their ratings, if they have a decent rating I usually pay up. It's worked a few times but any other tips for buying horses?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Best way to win...
Ok

You're sorta on the right track. Sell your slow horses straight away. Hopefully you'll have enough coin to buy a breeding barn.
With the horse or horses you keep - just keep them to their class....probably Listed races at best. Keep all your costs to minimum ie staff, feed etc.
Start your breeding...maybe sell all your 2yos or keep one or two to race...keep doing this so you can build your bank.
The 2yo sales can be hit or miss so keep an eye on the mid-week sales to pick up a proven young horse to race or improve your breeding.
Once your bank is sweet you can start buying the expensive 2yos and hopefully you'll come across some that can really push you along.
Mid week sales are the go when you have good coin behind you although you don't seem to get much show up compared to the flat Australian game.

Doug

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:25 pm
Selling plater

When it comes to breeding, i've had little experience breeding in the past and only ever foaled one horse if I remember correctly.

What's best?
Building up a batch of horses, to breed together meaning I wouldn't have to pay fee's OR spend the money to breed with another horse that has been proven?

2YO sales are hard to come across really, only ever come across a few and when they are there they get sold for an unbelievable amount. Even at pre-season auction I've never really found a 2YO for sale under say £100,000.

I will try the breeding process when I next play, as I do see the benefits and how I could effectively breed and not have to spend stupid amounts on a 2YO.

When it comes to training what is your best strategy? Leave it as it is, change to what the horse needs to improve and change the intensity to push the horse or relax the horse?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 pm
Group 1 winner

I play trainer/owner so I don't train my horses - that is done auto.
But there are peeps here who play as trainer only who can help.
To start with you only need one stallion and the rest are mares.
Personally I'd just sell all (or most) of my two year olds to get the bank up.
As soon as you can buy a decent horse at the mid week auction that is a proven winner and hopefully Group/Grade winner.
Also go into your breeding barn page near the top of the page you'll see a box to include horses outside of your stable.
Tick that and there will be a whole bunch of horses you can pay to breed with your horses. This is another way to boost your breeding. (each year there is a different list of horses)
Once you get your bank around $8million you should be alright.
Resist the punt til you're up and running and you really start understanding your horses and their abilities. Personally I did it the hard way but made most of my coin on the punt.
Breeding is the easiest and best way to go.
There are plenty of posts in here about what to look for with your breeding stats - they are well worth a read.

Doug

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm
Group 1 winner

Also - don't worry about racing as much in the early seasons - just race sparingly and zip through the season so you can breed and sell your 2yos.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 pm
Selling plater

Thanks

I'll take all this into account and let you know how I get on later! :D

I'm guessing i'd need a pretty decent stallion to breed with, otherwise it's taking a huge gamble on breeding a poor stallion that isn't proven.

I always seem to look at stamina, speed and acceleration first to judge what my horses would be best suited to, trip wise...
I had a horse that was recommended as 2m but his stamina bar was the highest where as speed and acceleration weren't as high. I feel that can mislead people.

I'll try and find a decent thread regarding what to look for in breeding stats.

Liam

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm
Selling plater

If you've a starter horse with 80+% potential and he/she wins a maiden and gets a mark of say 75-85 then throw them in a 0-100 handicap and chuck your cash on them as you always get one thats 100+

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:17 pm
Handicapper

IiStaples wrote:
If you've a starter horse with 80+% potential and he/she wins a maiden and gets a mark of say 75-85 then throw them in a 0-100 handicap and chuck your cash on them as you always get one thats 100+

In addition to this, if you've got a nice 2yo running for the first time in a Maiden against a field who have all already ran, and your horse is showing something like "Calm. Fit. Ready", you're likely to get MASSIVE odds. These are a great chance to cash in.

When breeding, if you can find an AI horse who's a Group 1 winner to breed with, even if they're no longer that highly rated and they're available to breed with for cheap, use them. 2yos seem to sell for massive amounts if they have the "Group 1 winner" in their breeding line.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:32 pm
Selling plater

Update from me lads..

I sold all my starting horses and got just under 2 million pound, more than enough for a breeding barn with change left over.

Went into each Thursday auction with my plan to buy stallion's or colts, raced/unraced and maybe give the unraced horses a few races to see how good they are, whether to race them or retire to stud.

I got a few good horses under my belt, a 145 rated chaser who had won the Welsh National, London National and a few other Class 1's for just under £100,000 and raced him in the national but he fell so retired to stud. I then put him to breed with a 160 rated chaser from France and a few other high rated Grade 1 winners and the foals ending up bringing me nearly 5 million pound, so carried on breeding a few other and so on....
Never ending circle!

Managed to buy some top class 3yo for around half a million and I have yet to race these two. Hoping I haven't spend money on a donkey.

So yeah, on the up and thanks for your tips!! :) :) :)

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:39 am
Group 1 winner

Well done.

You're on your way.

From here just work on your potential, cruising burst and speed bars in your breeding.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:47 pm
Selling plater

Comprised of three major carnivals, the Autumn Carival, the Winter Carnival in Brisbane, and the largest of them all the Spring Racing Carnival, which takes place from September to November each year, which concludes the the 'race that stops the nation' The Melbourne Cup. So? you can start betting on this time with this site

Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]