View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Questions of a tiresome newbie 
Selling plater

Post Questions of a tiresome newbie
Hey All,

Longtime fan of sport based management simulators here with a passing interest in bourse racing so I’ve invested in SO7, I had SO6 but to be honest never really understood it.

So I want to get into this new version and make a success of it, if you don’t mind I’ll use this thread to help me understand the game and the basics of horse racing as I’m totally lost if I am honest.

First couple of questions.

1. How often do you run horses
2. I’m loosing money at an alarming rate, I’m on course to be broke within first season. Any tips for making money
3. How do I use a horses preferred ground when selecting races. I can’t see anything that gives a ground type indication beyond turf/dirt
4. What should I be looking at when selecting a jockey, assume I should be making a choice based on weight but I don’t know the factors of this

Once again hello and I hope this starts a long career game for me

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Questions of a tiresome newbie
Matt Horse wrote:
Hey All,

Longtime fan of sport based management simulators here with a passing interest in bourse racing so I’ve invested in SO7, I had SO6 but to be honest never really understood it.

So I want to get into this new version and make a success of it, if you don’t mind I’ll use this thread to help me understand the game and the basics of horse racing as I’m totally lost if I am honest.

First couple of questions.

1. How often do you run horses
2. I’m loosing money at an alarming rate, I’m on course to be broke within first season. Any tips for making money
3. How do I use a horses preferred ground when selecting races. I can’t see anything that gives a ground type indication beyond turf/dirt
4. What should I be looking at when selecting a jockey, assume I should be making a choice based on weight but I don’t know the factors of this

Only Bet on Frankel (Flat) or Sprinter Sacre (Jumps) in Bundles until yopu made Millions quick way is to do Forecst's lots of Forecasts but you need to get the second lol.

Gray

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Selling plater

Will keep an eye out for frankel, I only have flat racing setup on this save.
I got rid of a few horses through selling races and purchased a 2yo at the sales early on.

Have gone on to win a G1 and G2 with that 2yo which has left me in a better financial position than before and now have over £300k in bank in Oct

Last edited by Matt Horse on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:08 pm
Group 1 winner

Matt Horse wrote:

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the game (I'm sure you will)!

If you're new to the game and if you don't have an in-depth knowledge of horse racing, I'd suggest playing through a few trial games first, to get yourself used to the game and its features.

You should also note that the game is only at the beta stage at the moment, so in the coming weeks there will be a large number of patches, likely including updates to breeding, scheduling and other areas of the game. Some of these patches might require the game to be restarted to take full effect, so it's probably best not to get too invested in any of your game saves at the moment. Keep checking the forum for further updates.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:31 pm
Selling plater

panther wrote:
Matt Horse wrote:

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the game (I'm sure you will)!

If you're new to the game and if you don't have an in-depth knowledge of horse racing, I'd suggest playing through a few trial games first, to get yourself used to the game and its features.

You should also note that the game is only at the beta stage at the moment, so in the coming weeks there will be a large number of patches, likely including updates to breeding, scheduling and other areas of the game. Some of these patches might require the game to be restarted to take full effect, so it's probably best not to get too invested in any of your game saves at the moment. Keep checking the forum for further updates.

Yes I saw it is beta. Looking forward to seeing what more comes as I’ve not even looked at the breeding side yet. Just trying to understand where everything is.

My 2yo I mentioned above won a race in October and jockey said I should enter him into 2000 Guineas, is there a way to do that in current year being the race is not until May I believe

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 pm
Selling plater

Actually on the point of buying horses how do people identify a good one to go for as I just went for most expensive I could afford at the time.

So used to playing Football Manager where there are more attributes than I know what to do with when analysing players, feel a little lost here at the moment not knowing what I should be looking at.

And basic pointers gratefully received

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm
Group 3 winner

Go to the 2yo sales and buy the ones for around 600/700k. If theyre no good just put a reserve on them for what you bought them for and usually you'll make between 200 and 400k profit. You could also run some horses over wrong trip and get low handicap mark and lump on them at big odds.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:33 pm
Selling plater

That sounds like cheating the game engine, I don’t really see the point in playing games if you are going to do that

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm
Handicapper

The main way I tend to make money if I'm feeling on the straight and narrow (that goes out the window when I want to get serious about breeding), is to run a "stud farm". Start a new game, immediately put all your horses up for auction, apart from one stallion. That should net you a decent amount of cash - it varies, but usually you'll end up with between 600k to >1mil. With that money, I buy the breeding barn, then head to the auctions and pick as many super cheap (10k and under) mares as I can. Retire all of these to the breeding barn - stallion included - and start breeding. You'll need to check back every couple of weeks to send another mare to your stallion (it takes 14 days for breeding to take place for some reason). Usually in year 1 I try and end up with at least 10 mares.

When a new game year starts, the mares have given birth, and you'll have a tab in the breeding section of your barn for yearlings. Open up each yearling's page individually and send them all to auction. This should net you at least a million. Rinse and repeat for the next few years. As you build up money you can start going to the breeding auctions (the blue-green circle on the sales tab indicates one of these auctions) and pick up group winning mares to breed to the best outside studs. These foals are much more likely to be decent than the ones you've been breeding so far, so I tend to keep these and race them for myself.

Having said all of that, the breeding in the game may not be working properly at the moment - the offspring of g1 winning horses tends to be just as crap as that of claimers - so buying g1 winning mares is probably pointless at the moment. Especially because future updates will likely render our current saves unplayable. But this remains a legitimate and viable way to make some early game money, and it can be interesting to track the success of the foals you've bred and sold.

For selecting jockeys: I just tend to pick the most expensive one that's not above my horse's carry weight. I'm not sure how much impact your choice of jockey makes.

Preferred ground: I can't see any indicator as to the condition of the track when entering races at the moment. In SO6 there was a small icon next to each meeting in the declarations screen that gave a weather forecast. That may have just been overlooked in SO7 at this point, or I may be blind and it is in fact there.

Horses are usually good to run every three or so weeks, though this varies from horse to horse - some can take a lot more racing than others. I check the head lad's comments and if he says they're raring to go or something similar, then enough time has passed for them to race again. I make a mental note of how long it takes for them to be ready to after their last race and enter them at that time interval (if it took three weeks, you can safely enter them every three weeks). However, 2 and 3yo horses are particularly sensitive to being overraced, so keep checking the head lad's comments. He'll say something like "Care! You are close to overracing this horse." when they've about had enough. At that point I think they're usually done for the season.

Oof. That was a novel :shock: Hope it helped some.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 am
Selling plater

That’s amazing and super helpful thank you.

Can you expand on the carry weight bit for the jockey, how do I know the carry weight?

***Such a noob***

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:13 am
Selling plater

I really don’t get breeding, how do Identify the right breeding pairs to produce better horses.

And do the potential bars increase with time, or is the light green bar a horse has on day 1 of being in the game it’s max potential it will ever reach

Re breeding should I be looking to pair a good 5f runner with a good distance runner to produce fast horses with stamina to win the big 7f/1m races

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:29 pm
Selling plater

Matt Horse wrote:
I really don’t get breeding, how do Identify the right breeding pairs to produce better horses.

Decide where you want to go from the start. For example i like to have a really strong sprinting bloodline and build from that so i need some half decent 5 and 6 Furlong mares at the beginning of the game. I'll check through the auctions and see if i can buy horses who like to front run and can start races pretty well (my own personal preference) with a laid back disposition. Towards the end of the first year I'll retire the mares to the breeding barn along with a stallion i've bought in the auction and breed them so I have at least something to work with in year 3. At the beginning of year 2 breed these mares with the game bred horses. I look at each stallion that runs 5-6 furlongs to see how many Group races it's won, the times they've run, style they run, it's disposition etc. I'd rather breed with a really quick horse that runs in the style i want than with a multiple Group winner. Starting in year 4 i should have the beginnings of my own bloodline and rinse and repeat until it's your own mares and stallions that you breed with each other.

Matt Horse wrote:
Re breeding should I be looking to pair a good 5f runner with a good distance runner to produce fast horses with stamina to win the big 7f/1m races

I like to keep them within a furlong or two but there's no rule that says you can't.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]