View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Experienced Breeders... 
Selling plater

Post Experienced Breeders...
When starting out, do you care if a horse's realized potential is anywhere near their true potential? I'm worried that I'll be stuck in "not worth racing so off to the breeding barn with you" land forever if I'm not keeping *only* the "race-able" horses (those with realized potential within 15% of their true potential). I'm thinking that it's better to worry about just getting to horses that are 100% true potential, and then work on getting their realized potential up to 100%.

Thoughts and help appreciated.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:35 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Experienced Breeders...
I don't pay any attention to realised potential when starting out, only concentrate on absolute potential.

I reckon that less than 5% of the horses I breed come close to realising their absolute potential. If you only breed horses with high realised potential, the breeding barn would be almost empty.

Because you only need 1 x stallion for every 8 x mares in the barn, I tend to have stallions with high realised potential but lots of mares with poor realised potential in the barn.

This idea was discussed in another thread but a couple of the more experienced league trainers reckon that after about 9yo, horses don't breed high realised potential foals. I have started a new saved game, only 10 seasons old so far, and retired all my mares at 10yo and stallions at 8yo from the barn using only these younger horses to breed with. I haven't kept exact statistics but I reckon I now get close to 5% of my horses realising their potential instaed of the 2% I achieved before when keeping horses in the barn until they were 20yo.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 am
Selling plater

Thanks Jim!

Next question I want to ask: do you put 2yo in the breeding barn? Assuming that they'll get a higher potential bar @ 4/5 years old, wouldn't it be better to wait? Is the 2yo's true 4/5yo adult potential used for breeding calculations, or just their true 2yo potential when doing breeding calculations (does anyone even know this other than Mark)?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:48 am
Handicapper

I put 2yo horses in the barn. As far as I have seen they breed to their 5yo potential.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:59 am
Selling plater

I've posted this elsewhere, but since I have this thread I created and it's a question for experienced breeders....

Let's say that I'm having trouble finding *any* game-bred sires that are able to breed well with my home-bred mares. Or rather, I can find really good game-bred sires (a 46 G1 winner, for example), but it breeds horribly with what I consider to be my solid stats mares. Rare 90% light green bar potential, etc.

I think there's three possibilities here. One is that my entire stock of mares has an invisible tag on them that make them crap breeders.One is that something in the base game changed that has made StartIt mod go haywire. The third is that the base game went off the rails re: breeding to game-bred sires by accident or design.

Other players are reporting this issue as well with or without StartIt, and it seems to extend back past v0.131. (I'm going to start experiments to see whether I can figure out when things went off the rails. There was a point where I was getting really good breeding with game-bred sires, and I want to find what version that was. Going to start with .130 and work backwards.)

If the whole point of breeding with game-bred sires is to improve bloodlines and that option isn't available, what now?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]