View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Has breeding become too random? 
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Has breeding become too random?
I’ll join the AA meeting - I am James and am also a league player.

I always play the game first and don’t really breed for the league. I completely embrace the new breeding challenge as it will give my save game longevity meaning I’ll play more seasons. This COULD result in better horses for the league but that will be a bonus.

If these changes were not made I don’t think I would have got into S07 as S05 and SO6 we’re basically the same game minus the graphics upgrade

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 pm
Selling plater

the only reason i bought SO7 was because of the breeding changes. it was far too easy before to dominate the game- it required next to little effort. i'm sure there can be many tweaks still made but i sincerely hope the game isn't made easier again for us single players.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:09 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
And I can break my view of SO7 down more simply.

I enjoy the game up to a point, but I enjoy the game much more because of the league. There will never be a AI challenge as great as the one offered by a human player. Someone like Paul for example who continues to set the bar so high. So without the league I do not see myself playing the game, and I do not see there being a league with the breeding on SO7 right now.

Why? - simple, no one likes to play and get beaten, we see that every year with the new trainers who quit within a matter of weeks, and everyone else not top tier blaming everything on tff file usage. My first league season I won only 2 races, but at least with SO6 breeding was consistent and progressive, so it was simply a matter of effort and approach, I reasoned the top trainers did not have any magic or skill not available to me and so when they hit the wall at the top, even if they had more time than me, I could catch up. Took me what, 3 seasons to hit the top tier and four to win the combined championship.

SO7 does not have progressive breeding, ok it does, but that progression path is subject to huge variations and randomness, and I utterly understand that is more realistic, but you might hit gold once but watch that horse die in the barn having never repeated the feat in his offspring, and your back to the first box on a game of snakes and ladders. So the few who have the time to really grind out thousands and thousands of horses will, in my view, be so much further ahead than everyone else in SO7, and what we already see in SO6 with people wanting the wins to be shared more evenly or just quiting, will be, again in my opinion, magnified to the point I doubt many will get a team together nor stick with it for long.

So I hate SO7 as I think it will kill the league and it is the league, or the prospect of one, that would make me love SO7. Tis a funny old world.

Thanks for this. It saves me having to type exactly what i was thinking.
There was no problem with the SO6 league, its just that everyone wants to be a winner and that is human nature.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 pm
Selling plater

A BIG FAT YES from me it is way too random, there is more chance in winning the lottery than breeding anything decent in this version. I don't play the League never have never will. We are all entitled to our personal view. I have enjoyed playing all the versions until now I have lost count of the number of offspring from decent pairings that would only be useful to the glue factory.
I have not had one half decent offspring from countless pairings tried multiple combinations but to no avail. I only play the game for FUN but this version isn't much fun at the moment I personally hope that this will be improved soon. I don't think I'm the only one unhappy with this version.
Needs to be improved in a few areas b4 it leaves beta stage.

This is my personal view I don't argue anyone else's view :)

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:51 am
Selling plater

As the original poster, I would like to say thank you for the input of so many people to my question and to Hechicera in particular for his insight.

I did not mean to provoke a league or non league debate and did not realise the repercussions to so many who put in so much time.

I must say that I never asked for the game to be easy and reject the suggestion that I am complaining.

Having had more time to play, I think it may be that understanding of the potential bars may be the way forward. (A thread on this subject by the afore mentioned user can be found above this one).

I'm not looking to smash the game after 5 seasons.
I have raced lots of home breds now who can win G2 and G3 races with potentials of 60-70% and am perfectly happy with that rating and the realism this brings to the game. But I am achieving this more in hope than expectation when breeding with gamebred stallions in the barn.

Looking back I think the thing that disappointed me the most was that the potential bars were just too low, I can perfectly accept that matings of outstanding parents can throw more duds than classic winners but it perhaps should be reflected on, that more often than not, should 2 parents who both have 95% potentials produce offspring who's potential is 20% or lower?

Perhaps a better spread of potential would be more realistic?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 am
Selling plater

Looking back I think the thing that disappointed me the most was that the potential bars were just too low, I can perfectly accept that matings of outstanding parents can throw more duds than classic winners but it perhaps should be reflected on, that more often than not, should 2 parents who both have 95% potentials produce offspring who's potential is 20% or lower?

Perhaps a better spread of potential would be more realistic?

I Couldn't agree more with this, I just hope that things will improve a little b4 it leaves beta. :)

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm
Group 3 winner

Would be nice to see something like these results.
Not just for potential but most stats.

30% chance stats will be random between highest and lowest parent
60% chance stats will be random between lowest parent and zero
10% chance stats will be random between highest parent and 100%

Numbers could be tweaked but you get the idea.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:27 pm
Handicapper

Jango wrote:
Would be nice to see something like these results.
Not just for potential but most stats.

30% chance stats will be random between highest and lowest parent
60% chance stats will be random between lowest parent and zero
10% chance stats will be random between highest parent and 100%

Numbers could be tweaked but you get the idea.

I like this kind of idea and I've been thinking about it a bit recently. It would be good if each horse had a hidden breading rating. So for instance if it was out of 10 and you bred 2 horses with 10 then there would 100% chance their offspring would have bars that lie between the max of the mare and the max of the sire (so for instance if the sire had a potential of 100 and the mare 90...there would be 100% chance the foals potential would fall within these values once matured). If one had a breading rating of 10 and the other 5, then their would be a 75% chance the bars would be between their two values, the other 25% could result in lower, and so on.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Handicapper

Latest Patch notes "Breeding success in terms of quality now is affected by game difficulty. Minor effect only."

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm
Handicapper

I play in the league and have done for a few seasons after stumbling across it on the forums. Like most I thought my horses were unbeatable and quickly learned otherwise but persevered with help from posts from more experienced league trainers and although I have an incredibly busy life, I love playing the league and have made myself one of the top 10 trainers by playing casually and sometimes more intensively than my other half thinks is healthy!!

The breeding in SO6 was I think very good for the league and casual single game players as you can see tangible results with your efforts as a breeder and as a league player to take on the bigger trainers. I have bought SO4 upwards and I honestly have to say that although I am trying to get into SO7 I am really struggling to get any breakthrough at all regarding breeding anything worthwhile. I understand the need for this for single players but for the league play in particular there has to be a little logic when pairing horses, after all it is actually a game and not a real life situation.

I keep trying to get into it but.........I think without any tweaks to the breeding I will probably spend less and less time on it as it is probably in my opinion the least enjoyable of the series so far. Not really sure what the answer is, maybe an option to breed randomly or as in SO6 at start up could be the way forward to please everyone, the league players then get the logical traits passed down and the non league players enjoy and embrace the randomness. Just my opinion, but I rarely post at length on here just felt I should piitch in before the game loses me after a good few years enjoying and competing with others in the league

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 am
Group 1 winner

Maybe there could be a more simplistic SO6 style breeding option designed for league as an option when you start up the game. If possible make it so there is no ttf with that line of the game so it can't be exploited in the league and can't be used to cross pollinate the single play version of the game (the current game). Probably can't be done. But it's a thought.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 am
Group 3 winner

I don't get how people say they can't get anywhere with their breeding, im not rushing and i'm more than happy where my horses are, I think i'd be in front of SO6 horses after 2 months. The potential is hard to get up but so it should be.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:04 am
Group 1 winner

John if you actually bothered to run your horses week in week out in the league you’d be about 50 wins ahead of everyone else, me, Paul, Steve, everyone. So not sure your a good yardstick of how easy or hard breeding is. For me so7 is so unenjoyable that I cannot bring myself to bother to play it at all right now. And I have no qualms about putting in the time as has been shown on so6.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
John if you actually bothered to run your horses week in week out in the league you’d be about 50 wins ahead of everyone else, me, Paul, Steve, everyone. So not sure your a good yardstick of how easy or hard breeding is. For me so7 is so unenjoyable that I cannot bring myself to bother to play it at all right now. And I have no qualms about putting in the time as has been shown on so6.

But the start of every new computer game is hard and then as u play u kind of get the feel for the game, my favourite game of all time is borderlands and u die all the time on there and I suppose some people would get tired of dying all the time while other workout how to get better at it. The ones who get tired of dying will probably lose interest and put the game down just like this one.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Selling plater

i too don't understand why some post that the game is unplayable because of the breeding. i have the total opposite view. for the first time the game is keeping my interest for any period of time because of the breeding changes. i don't want to be able to pair my good horses and know i'm going to get a champion- where's the fun in that? complaining about breeding being unpredictable is the same as saying you want the game to be easy and an easy game is a bad game.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next