View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What do I do with this horse? 
Handicapper

Post What do I do with this horse?
I’m looking for a bit of advice/help or suggestions what to do with my horse.

It’s a 3yo colt with a very low deterioration bar and at the minute it’s got about 80% potential with about 78% of that dark green. It’s breeding indicator says 6f but it’s managed to win a American triple crown. Don’t ask me how. I don’t know whether to keep racing it till it’s about the age of 6 or 7 and see how it goes race record wise and potential wise or whether to just retire it and see how it goes with breeding it to good 80-90% mares. As at the minute there doesn’t seem to be much improvement in potential with the other horses I’ve played about with and I’m struggling to get one to 100%.

What do you guys think?

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:56 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: What do I do with this horse?
I usually try and get 3-4 seasons of racing in before putting them into the breeding barn at age 5-6. I find that allows me to earn enough money, win enough races, and still get some good foals too.

If you switch out the ttf file you can do both of course, but I find that to be fiddly at times.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Yasmin Stott wrote:
I’m looking for a bit of advice/help or suggestions what to do with my horse.

It’s a 3yo colt with a very low deterioration bar and at the minute it’s got about 80% potential with about 78% of that dark green. It’s breeding indicator says 6f but it’s managed to win a American triple crown. Don’t ask me how. I don’t know whether to keep racing it till it’s about the age of 6 or 7 and see how it goes race record wise and potential wise or whether to just retire it and see how it goes with breeding it to good 80-90% mares. As at the minute there doesn’t seem to be much improvement in potential with the other horses I’ve played about with and I’m struggling to get one to 100%.

What do you guys think?

The stamina bar is a good indicator as to what distance/s will suit each horse when you start breeding.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:02 am
Handicapper

I've been keeping horses in the racing barn until 5 just so I can see if the potential gains any on that 4->5 birthday. After that I race if they can get me money or retire to stud/sell if not.

Probably if he won the top 3 yo races he is a "peak mature at 3 horse", so may not get much improvement at 5 (but you never know).

You can have your cake and eat it too in the game. Since you can retire to stud, breed a couple mares, then un-retire and refit up the horse. So if you want him to do some test breedings, do them, then pop him back into the training barn before the end of the game year to see what the bars do. I have done that a couple of times early in games with my first promising stud candidate.

I have no advice on getting to 100% (potential). Not done it, but I tend to restart test games, so I also can't comment on how soon you'd see it. I don't know how it all works. or how it should. I'm still poking at it trying to figure that out.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:10 am
Handicapper

Thanks guys for your advice and suggestions.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]