View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Finding a Future Group Winner at Auction 
Group 1 winner

Post Finding a Future Group Winner at Auction
I'm still in the beginning stages of mastering the game so I may not know what I'm talking about at the moment but here is a little post about a 2yo I bought at auction who just became a Grade 1 winner.

Jezza Minute bought at the beginning of the year 2yo auction. Renamed by me and I shelled out the max for him...

I carefully look over the lineage of my potential purchases. First - At the most the sire/dam is an undefeated multiple grade 1 winner :lol: I'll settle for Graded winner and my lowest bar is the sire/dam is consistently in the money. The sire/dam should also reach 100+ ratings in it's career.

Sire - Jezza / He has a grade 3 win on his record but there is no form for him. His offspring were the big factor. See below.

Dam - Amathusia / Hit the board in all three starts. Won a graded stakes and placed in another. Barely hit the 100+ threshold but that's an impressive short career.

Then more importantly to me is what has the sire/dam dropped so far? The same rules above apply to the offspring. If there aren't any 100+ rating offspring in the lot I won't even consider. Multiple 100+ rating offspring is very good

Jezza's offspring - A nice bunch of Group winners and a bunch of 100+ rated offspring. Jezza has sired a lot of good horses.

Amathusia's offspring - Not overly impressive but good enough. A 106 rated horse in just six starts and a multiple winner. Four of four winners at the time of purchase.

Amathusia's dam Ikat might have been the final deciding factor. She has produced multiple group winners.

And that brings us back to Jezza Minute who just won the Grade 1 Del Mar Futurity for 2yo's. I wasn't expecting the win but it is very gratifying because when I bought her stats unseen I thought she had a good chance to be a runner.

So look for consistency along with high ratings and sire/dams with a proven track record of producing those same traits. I think. Maybe. Maybe it's a just a roll of the dice??? :lol: Thank's for reading.

Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Finding a Future Group Winner at Auction
When SO7 came out, I too started looking up the dam's side for family black-type production. Like you would ...

While there are no guarantees in life, or the game, I was surprised that it often does seem to pan out in the game!

I also like to see a sire with at least consistent placings in the money. Then I know better the couple of wins weren't because conditions were just right, but that there is likely more than one solid bar on his details page. Good for upgrades, or preserving class if the mare has it. But, sometimes in the game you figure out certain lines that have specific bars, and then dipping into one to see if you can grab that one bar back in is good too.

Nice find!

Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm
Selling plater

Hi, newbie to this forum. How do i get the in depth stats screen up please?

Tue May 12, 2020 10:57 am
Selling plater

kgessex,
1# You can only see the stats if you own the horse, makes it a guessing game but hitting on a legend potential feels great.
2# Go to the horse and you should see a "Horse Stats" tab
3# Battling qualities is the rarest stat btw, if they have even the smallest amount of BQs you should probably keep them. Confidence, Extra speed rating, Finish application, Consistency (maybe more valuable than the others listed), Going/Surface adapt and lastly, not a necessity but distance adaptability is great for Group horses.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 pm
Handicapper

After a few breeding saves I have a lot of great 1yo horses in my Transfer List, so my standards are far higher than is realistic when looking for new horses to introduce to the breeding pool honestly. I'm stuck on wanting a yearling/2yo that has at least 50% ability (dark green potential), and 70% potential (light green), 70% Extra Speed, 100% Finish Application, and decent (50% at least) bars in Enthusiasm, Consistency, and Confidence. Cruising Burst and Battling Qualities are rarer so I normal try and breed those into my lines but I'm not as obsessed with getting them or scrapping a horse.

I've only just started looking at a horses sire/dam race records, win%, earnings, and offspring. It's added another element to the game for me and ensured I am not as quick to write off a horse as I have previously been. Honestly I'm still struggling with accepting that not every horse will win a grade 1 at age 3 and be in the breeding barn by age 5.
:lol:

I've had great successes playing my way, but I do feel there are so many great horses I've let slip or just not developed enough along the way. I'm planning to incorporate a little more method into my madness when it comes to evaluations and auctions, so it's nice to see others speak up on this approach too.

It's not easy relearning how to play after becoming entrenched in a singular approach, but it's quite fun when it goes in your favour. Wish me luck!

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]