View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Moving my save game to a brand new computer 
Selling plater

Post Moving my save game to a brand new computer
I'm assuming that the proper method for doing this is:

1. Install SO7 on the new machine (using my original game download that has my serial number and such imbedded in it).
2. Install updates to bring the game up-to-date.
3. Install any needed mods.
4. Start the game and set up the graphics settings and delete the pre-loaded save games (slots 1, 3, and 4).
5. Move the 6 save files to the new machine in the Saves folder (ex. 1.sav, 1.btag, 1.sax, ext1.sav, ln1.idx, o1.idx).

Main fear: any reason to think that moving the save game would invalidate any of the horses from online league play (ie. it would look to the game that I'm using and breeding with horses that I didn't "raise")?

Thanks!

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 am
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Moving my save game to a brand new computer
OK looks like you know what your doing are you syncing the save folders? Moving your saved games folder is fine.

You've been here for a few years but I have no idea if you've played in the league before. If you have, you already know the strictness about any form of cloning, seems your thinking that way anyhow.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:53 am
Group 3 winner

I cant see any issue.
The rule is no 2 horses with the same parents.
Whether you are copying saved games or making backups its not outside the rules as i understand them.
Copying saved games and exploiting the transfer pool was common in SO6.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 am
Selling plater

I'm familiar with players exploiting the Transfer Pool as far back as there was a Transfer Pool (because while I haven't played league before, oh yeah, did I ever abuse the crap out of the Transfer Pool :D ). Have been playing the game on and off since SO3 (or maybe 4... point is, a really long time).

Yes, I'll effectively just be moving the save folder over, or more specifically, the six files that comprise a save game (listed above). All the other files get generated by the game itself (genset.idx, atg1.db, hdb_<your registered email address>.db, etc.).

I do have a question regarding clones, though. My understanding of the rule for league is that you can't have two horses, no matter if they're the same or different sex, with the same Sire and Dam within your league "stable" (24 or whatever horses). I get that. My question is: if I have two horses that happen to be clones by league definition within my personal game, and I send one of them to the league and not the other, does that still violate the "clone" rule?

(I'm sure you're aware of how this may be done that has nothing to do with hacking the horse files - start a new season, look at the yearlings, send keepers to the Transfer Pool and bring them into a new game, force quit, rinse and repeat.) As a side point: If I'm not mistaken, even if you send a horse to the Transfer Pool, while the lineage isn't shown when the horse is imported into the new game that the lineage (or at least the horse names) *are* still imprinted within the horse file / .hrs.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 pm
Group 3 winner

I believe they *are* still imprinted.

And no if you only send one, by the rules it seems it's ok, no way of policing it lol. you can clone all you want in private.

Personally I find if I clone, my bloodlines are shallow so I keep creating new games and hoping to enhance what I already have. Also I have found backing up my save files is gold, I don't use the ck enough, and it's hard to do atm, and find you have to retire too many horses from the game that just needed to change code.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 am
Selling plater

Transfer to new computer went smoothly. :-)

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:03 pm
Selling plater

My laptop is a very pleasant thing to work with. I like the hardware and the software, making it easy to do just about anything I want. But there is one problem: my data is too easy to lose. I've lost data in three ways: hard disks that broke down; files I accidentally deleted; and files I accidentally overwrote. There's also theft, but I don't think you can do much about that except physically chain your laptop to your wrist. I use the services of salvagedata.com. They always helped me to restore all the data I lost.

Last edited by Setsukograb on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:45 am
Handicapper

I am confused by all this talk of sending horses to the transfer pool in an online league. The transfer option is disabled for online leagues, unless I am missing something.

Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:58 am
Group 3 winner

Your just missing the dates of the posts. Setsukograb was bored and dragged a 3yo post up to tell us how nice his laptop is.

Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:57 am
Handicapper

LOL!
I thought it was a flurry of new activity. :)

Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]