View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Out of Beta 
Handicapper

Post Out of Beta
Hi all

Saw a post the game is now out of Beta

I’ve held off SO7 for now, have they changed the schedule in the latest patch?

Cheers

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 am
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Out of Beta
Cuzer wrote:
Hi all

Saw a post the game is now out of Beta

I’ve held off SO7 for now, have they changed the schedule in the latest patch?

Cheers

The game is better then any other Starters Orders series I ever played Cuzer, and I have been playing the game since the first Starters Orders game that mark released, the game is not out of "Beta", mark never declared that yet, that post should be deleted by mark as he didn't declare that yet, people on here are trying to sabotage the game on purpose, I give Starters Orders 7,
12 out of 10

Buy the game Cuzer you won't look back, the only thing you would have to worry about is fighting with the Wife or the Girlfriend mate for playing it for hours :lol:

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 am
Handicapper

Mark himself declared the beta over and changed the name of the development forum to reflect it's out of beta. Not to mention the update numbers are now 1.x, which is the way games that are out of beta are numbered. Mark's post: https://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18697

And if this is your 13/10, first, have you never seen another game ever? And second, I'm literally studying gaming at university - this game could have done with being marked as "in beta" for a much longer time, at least until all the schedules were updated and working correctly. I mean, FIFA comes out once a year and still updates it schedules and players.

This game has a lot of potential, but there are games in beta on Steam's Early Access that have been in beta for over a year and comparably doing much better. I've been vocal enough about my concerns over the last six months but it's even silly little things like the UI not being consistent across screens, the fact that in 1080p only have the screen space is used, and the biggest one for me as an Australian player, was that the Australian schedule came so weak. There are 168 races in South Africa in the files. There are only 209 default races in the Australian schedule. And the amount I made in my custom schedule from the official real life schedule was 612.

If I was reading the forums and seeing the posts I do, as an outsider without purchasing yet, I'd be very wary of buying it.

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:42 am
Handicapper

Thanks for the feedback

I love SO6 and are well into something like my 12th season, I don’t play online races so the buzz for me is sending my best horses to the showpiece events all around the world

I was distraught when somebody commented months ago the schedule in SO7 was the same as 06, to me this is a massive massive oversight, surely a shake up with more feature races and destinations involved is the way to go?

I currently look forward to Cheltenham and Aintree in the UK jumps schedule and that’s about it, at least with flat you can compete in Dubai but I can’t enter a horse in the Kentucky Derby for example? Am I right in saying 07 schedule is the same then? What a blow

Cheers

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 pm
Group 1 winner

Firstly, Mark has indeed announced that the game is now out of beta.

My personal view is that this is an incredibly disappointing version of SO, and I have bought pretty much every version to date. As has been said by others, it appears as a "hollow shell" reliant upon users to populate with anything meaningful (schedules, portraits of real life jockeys, trainers, owners etc). Additionally, the option to mod the game seems to have been made so complex that even the most experienced modders have struggled with it. Not good enough I'm afraid. To award it a "12 out of 10" must be a joke!

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:24 pm
Group 2 winner

Greyhawk wrote:
I would fight with the girlfriend or wife.

It's definitely more fun. :D

Steven you got bard for life, why are you here under another name, seeing that you don't like the game so much?

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 am
Group 2 winner

twilightramblings wrote:
Mark himself declared the beta over and changed the name of the development forum to reflect it's out of beta. Not to mention the update numbers are now 1.x, which is the way games that are out of beta are numbered. Mark's post: https://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18697

And if this is your 13/10, first, have you never seen another game ever? And second, I'm literally studying gaming at university - this game could have done with being marked as "in beta" for a much longer time, at least until all the schedules were updated and working correctly. I mean, FIFA comes out once a year and still updates it schedules and players.

This game has a lot of potential, but there are games in beta on Steam's Early Access that have been in beta for over a year and comparably doing much better. I've been vocal enough about my concerns over the last six months but it's even silly little things like the UI not being consistent across screens, the fact that in 1080p only have the screen space is used, and the biggest one for me as an Australian player, was that the Australian schedule came so weak. There are 168 races in South Africa in the files. There are only 209 default races in the Australian schedule. And the amount I made in my custom schedule from the official real life schedule was 612.

If I was reading the forums and seeing the posts I do, as an outsider without purchasing yet, I'd be very wary of buying it.

So mark declared the beta over I didn't see the post "so bite me" lol and seeing that you are a genius little fella why don't you go and build your own game, please take your little bum jump steve with you seeing that he is a master mind in horse racing.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 am
Handicapper

First of all, I'm a woman. Not a "little fella".

Secondly, there's such thing as constructive criticism and caring about the development of the game enough to speak up about things that would make the game work better. This is the case of literally every game I've ever played, from EA-giant made The Sims to another single dev game Stardew Valley. ETA: I've been playing The Sims since I was 12. I've been part of that community and watched developers experiment based on community feedback, refine features based on what we said we liked or didn't, and celebrated the release of content we did like. If someone asks me for a fun simulation game to play, I will always suggest The Sims 3. Even though it has the tendency to lag and have bugs, even on good gaming laptops today, it was a great game. And I will keep watching the way The Sims develops as a franchise in the hope that The Sims 5 brings back some of that greatness. Starters Orders is already a great, unique concept. It's literally the only game on the market like it. I think about how hard it must be to code the AI in a game like this and applaud what Mark's done. But the fact that I can see where this game shines means I can also see where it could be shining. And if the community comments on what we think needs improvement, that gives Mark a roadmap for what things he can improve that will get the most positive payoff in the community. I personally feel that if you like a game and want it to continue to improve, you should feel an obligation to offer constructive criticism, because liking the game means you won't just be saying "thanks I hate it", you'll be saying "I like this but this could be better".

Third, the things I'm critical about are based on my experiences in my study and in other games. I've been playing simulation games for a long time, so I know what can be achieved in a simulation game. Some of the UI things I've offered feedback are on is because it was inaccessible to people with disabilities, like the text size, which I care about because I have multiple disabilities (though everyone should care about that stuff in a perfect world).

Fourth, if you don't have any response other than getting personal and calling me a know-it-all, maybe you just shouldn't respond? Not to mention, people have been calling me a know-it-all for over fifteen years, it really isn't all that insulting. I like knowing about game development and what makes a game "good" or "bad". And I do want to build a game in the future but part of building your own game is experiencing other games of the same genre, not to mention years of research and skill building. It doesn't mean I can't play other games, or be an active member of their communities.

ETA:Fifth, I literally offered to build a wiki for the game, an online realtime chat forum for us as a community, and I spent the weekend coding a python script to help people build schedules with less risk of errors. I check this forum every day and offer help whenever I can. I haven't even been able to play while making my own schedule, because I only have so much time in a day. I have been waiting for a serious horse management sim since I realised that could be a thing. Offering constructive criticism and honest feedback isn't a crime and certainly doesn't mean I haven't devoted over a hundred hours to this game or working on this game in the last three months.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:42 am
Group 2 winner

twilightramblings wrote:
First of all, I'm a woman. Not a "little fella". So condescending and a little sexist.

Secondly, there's such thing as constructive criticism and caring about the development of the game enough to speak up about things that would make the game work better. This is the case of literally every game I've ever played, from EA-giant made The Sims to another single dev game Stardew Valley.

Third, the things I'm critical about are based on my experiences in my study and in other games. I've been playing simulation games for a long time, so I know what can be achieved in a simulation game. Some of the UI things I've offered feedback are on is because it was inaccessible to people with disabilities, like the text size, which I care about because I have multiple disabilities (though everyone should care about that stuff in a perfect world).

Fourth, if you don't have any response other than getting personal and calling me a know-it-all, maybe you just shouldn't respond? Not to mention, people have been calling me a know-it-all for over fifteen years, it really isn't all that insulting. I like knowing about game development and what makes a game "good" or "bad". And I do want to build a game in the future but part of building your own game is experiencing other games of the same genre, not to mention years of research and skill building. It doesn't mean I can't play other games, or be an active member of their communities.

1- Why I am so sorry madam :oops:

2- I have no problem with you criticising the game twilightramblings, but do itin a way that's not going to upset others on here, believe it some of us are making our own schedules and we are happy with the game as is turning out to be, and there is a lot of ways you can air you're views, "Email mark" would be one good way of doing things.

3- There is a thing that says if you don't like the game the way it is, ask the author for you're money back, "By Email",
3A- I am sorry that you have a disability twilightramblings, as I have been caring for my wife for 33 years yet this game is the only game that I can get a smile from her when she plays it which is every day since the first Starters Orders series, but you have got to understand that Starters Orders 7 has had all new engines and it's going through teething problems, so being patient with the author would be a good start to say the least.

4- I do have the rights to criticise you're posts if you are knocking the game as not all on here share the same views as you, that is why you should Email the author directly rather then knock the game on here, it's simply called "Respecting" the other members of the forum plus showing the respect to the game and the author at the same time twilightramblings.
4A- Have been in the racing industry myself, and I do know one thing, "You cannot please everyone all of the time", that is why near it damn it always works in the big world.

hopefully there is no hard feelings twilightramblings.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:02 am
Site Admin

Constructive critism is fine. Please keep it civil. Development is not stopping because the game is post 1.00 in fact nothing is changing on that front at all so rest assured suggestions will be looked at and any reported bugs will be fixed. I realise the version passing 1.00 may have caused some confusion.

Please post bug reports in the tech support forum and development suggestions in the development forum.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:03 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]