View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Breeding side improvements 
Handicapper

Post Breeding side improvements
I know this has been discussed many times but it’s the one part of the game I think is important for the purists.
What I would like to see is firstly still a bit more consistency with the best stallions producing the best horses, yes I know not every Galileo is a star but you have a better chance with a better stallion( bred the best with the best and hope for the best).leading to my second point, I would like you to have to contact the stud to ask if you can breed your mare with their stallion, so the best stallions will choose the best mares making it more exciting waiting if your mare is going to go to the stallion you want. So making my point the game gets more exciting as you get better mares.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Breeding side improvements
Gaz wrote:
I know this has been discussed many times but it’s the one part of the game I think is important for the purists.
What I would like to see is firstly still a bit more consistency with the best stallions producing the best horses, yes I know not every Galileo is a star but you have a better chance with a better stallion( bred the best with the best and hope for the best).leading to my second point, I would like you to have to contact the stud to ask if you can breed your mare with their stallion, so the best stallions will choose the best mares making it more exciting waiting if your mare is going to go to the stallion you want. So making my point the game gets more exciting as you get better mares.

I've had stallions that consistently produce great race horses, it's probably a lower percentage than you would like but it keeps the game realistic and challenging.

Owners of mares approach owners of stallions and pay a stud fee, not the other way round. It was possible on SO6 but is not realistic.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:47 pm
Handicapper

You can lease mares. You lease them by the breeding season.

See rule 13

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/regi ... k#thirteen

You don't need to own a stud to lease a mare. Usually the lessee picks a stud (sometimes from the roster of the place that is leasing the mare, or another local one). The mare is then usually cared for by the lessor (both to bring in the money and to protect the mare). So a smaller regional stud may do this to get cash as here you have a mare where instead of paying out the stud fee to breed her and her care, you have a lessee that pays it and pays you the board and breeding expenses. So when you don't have the cash to breed every mare to a stud you'd want the foal from, it is an option. Or a larger outfit may offer them on condition the mare is bred to an in house stallion.

So to be realistic, the mares available would be middle of the road regional quality or on the lower end of a top national quality mare band. And, the higher quality mares will likely limit you on choice of stud to in-house. Leasing a mid-tier mare to a stud of your choice is a good option as a start in breeding esp. when you have no breeding facilities. Leasing a mare from a big outfit where they already plan the breeding is more for the conceit of being listed as "the breeder".

Either way, lessee is reported once mare is under contract and ownership of (hopefully) resulting foal clear then in registry.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:17 am
Handicapper

I might not have made my point clear, what I am trying to say is to make the breeding More realistic and fun is that you can’t just send your mare to the best stallions, the best stallions stud will only want the best mares so you have to nominate your mare by the email request and wait to see if you have been excepted. This will make the game more life like and see more quality breeding.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:34 am
Handicapper

Gaz wrote:
I might not have made my point clear, what I am trying to say is to make the breeding More realistic and fun is that you can’t just send your mare to the best stallions, the best stallions stud will only want the best mares so you have to nominate your mare by the email request and wait to see if you have been excepted. This will make the game more life like and see more quality breeding.

Ok so if you have the cash to pay the stud fee, you want the owner of the stallion to have the option to say no, like you can with your own stallions.

I think a lot of people would be unhappy with that as it would make the breeding process longer.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 am
Handicapper

I think this would give the breeding game a new dimension, it would not have to be the default mode it could be an option but l think it would make the breeding challenging in the sense the better broodmare stock you build up in the game the better stallions you can send them to rather than making a lot of money at the start and sending any mare to the best stallions because you can afford too. Frankel would not be breeding with mare that had no pedigree and finished her race career at a 60 rating.

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:28 am
Handicapper

I know I’ve gone on about this but it would be interesting what others think about the subject. I just would like to see the breeding side a challenge and I think if the top stallions where more consistently good at producing top quality horses and the price to breed with made to reflect this rather than be a random fee, then you have to earn the right to sent your mare to it , ie the better stallion you want to breed with the better mare you will need.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am
Selling plater

What makes a good game is custom options.

Breeding

Easy Level -> Everything on automatic produces good to excellent offspring

Normal Level -> Realistic Breeding. I've no idea on the percentages for this.

Hard level -> More difficult than realistic, with most being poor quality offspring and a real need for manual input rather than automatic.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]