View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Returning to the game.....question? 
Selling plater

Post Returning to the game.....question?
Hi all,

Having played various incarnations in the past I was thinking of buying SO Classic to get back into the game.

Just wondered how much editing/modding etc is now needed as this is one thing that really puts me off buying?

I'm not too fussed about jockey/horse pics but would really like a full UK/IRE flat schedule to be readily available? Is this something that is already done or will I need a custom schedule?

What are the default schedules like?

Thanks

Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:47 pm
Selling plater

Post Re: Returning to the game.....question?
The default schedules are ok but you will be best to edit the UK schedule to incorporate even more group races. I really enjoy SO Classic. Perfect for my older laptop

Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:32 am
Selling plater

Thanks.

Seems easy enough to amend the schedule. Just can't find the Belmont Stakes for the US Triple Crown?

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:34 pm
Handicapper

How do you edit the schedule, is it pretty straightforward?

My biggest gripe of the game is the schedule, the biggest attraction to me is sending my horses to the big meetings overseas to see how they fare against the foreign top G1 horses and for me there are just so little of these meetings to go too

I presume it’s wise to leave as much of the original schedule as possible?

Cheers

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 am
Selling plater

Yes, it was easy to use the schedule editor.

Works really well.

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:44 pm
Handicapper

Yeah thanks I’ve given it a go and it was pretty straightforward

Half way through my first season on my schedule

Such a shame the only way you can keep afloat on medium level is to do the betting trick to raise some money, when you’re given 3 horses to start and none of them are likely to win a race of any calibre how else can you raise money?

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:00 am
Selling plater

The Belmont is actually called the Brooklyn Stakes on the default schedule due to some copyright issue

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:52 pm
Selling plater

I did wonder if that was the case but there is actually a Brooklyn Stakes too so wasn't sure?

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 pm
Group 3 winner

Cuzer wrote:
Yeah thanks I’ve given it a go and it was pretty straightforward

Half way through my first season on my schedule

Such a shame the only way you can keep afloat on medium level is to do the betting trick to raise some money, when you’re given 3 horses to start and none of them are likely to win a race of any calibre how else can you raise money?

Fully agree. I remember thinking the game is kinda old fashioned with the entry levels so maybe a cheat mode should be introduced like adding money or even better just do away with the bankruptcy end game and just let the player spiral downwards. I reckon most of us use a betting trick eventually. I know I have only played one game without using any money cheat but I want to play for the league and it's much easier to use a betting cheat rather than lose the game. BTW the levels only change the number of horses you start with and the amount of money you start with, nearly forgot it also affects breeding.
All said and done once you have a good enough horse to win G1 races you win. So is that end game? Hell no it's just the start! It`s a thin line that shouldn't really be there, it's old fashioned and not really needed.

My summary is easy mode is the way to play, the other modes offer no more than to delay the inevitable. Money or the lack of will be end game. If you want more difficult breeding then ok go for harder modes.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]