View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Advice for a returning player 
Selling plater

Post Advice for a returning player
I'm playing for the first time since the very very early days of SO7 and have been trawling the forums to find some tips and tricks but nothing in particular stood out.

My main concern is with the new breeding system, when I originally played, I remember it being incredibly frustrating trying to get any worthwhile horses.

Are there any definitive tips on how to successfully breed top horses on this game?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be looking for when looking for stallions and mares in auctions or to breed with? Right now I'm picking up all group winning mares from breeder sales and sending them to the stallion with the highest % of stakes winners when they've had a relatively high number of runners.

Thanks for your help!

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:33 pm
Selling plater

Post Re: Advice for a returning player
It depends what you are looking to breed really. I think the newer breeding system isn't so bad, you just have to pay more attention to the horses actual form over just putting two g1 winners together and popping out another g1 winner.

I think my biggest advice is to check your track records, and then benchmark everything off of that. I know that sounds obvious but the AI barns will severely underprice absolutely fantastic studs just because they got retired early and the AI only did a few graded races with them. It's really all about times.

Check the weekly sales for regular stuff and 2yos. Again AI trainers love chucking really nice 2yos into claimers and you can find a diamond in the rough. They also just straight up sell good graded winners sometimes.

Watch every horse you want or think is good, especially broods. It will still notify you if they get tossed into the broodmares section many seasons later. Also if a stud got killed off on the season rollover go and watch all of its yearlings, they will crop up in the weekly sales. Same with "overpriced" G1 winners.

I think using offspring lists can be hit or miss, because they will produce trash, and stats are a lot more randomized. You best bet on judging them is looking at race times vs track going and reading the race comments. You will start to see trends for some of the better ones... Mainly easiest for stallions but if you find mares winning consistently against males, that's also really noteworthy too.

I can't really think of much more, it's a lot of trial and error but once you throw enough things in the breeding barn and the dust settles, you'll start building up good stock.

Just make sure you wait to see how yearlings turn out. If it's obviously bad then, probably toss it. But it feels like to me, stats are a lot more relative instead of "this one G1 winner is good because it wins G1s". Sometimes stars align for the less than stellar runners.

I had the issue where I would toss anything that "looked" bad instead of actually letting in grow/settle around 3/4. So it took a lot longer to breed decent horses and it was frustrating, because I wasn't taking into account all of the moving parts that went into getting a solid runner.

I've read some prefer improving stats one by one, some save scum and dig around with multiple stables, others run them in tandem. It's really whatever you want to do. With the newest update starting on "easy" will default back to SO6 style breeding so really it's up to you. I find startit mod + running a single stable on "normal" to be the most enjoyable. It takes a while longer but I'm not trying to run league, so when the ponies do well, it's fun. I've noticed, at least with startit (it's been a while since I've played vanilla), that winning G1s constantly is really difficult as the overall quality of horses improve along side yours each season. So it's a nice challenge for sure.

Best of luck!

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]