View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Jockey comment help 
Selling plater

Post Jockey comment help
Hello

I’m a newb to the game and like to ask fir some advice. I get a lot in the jockey comments “didn’t have the pace” or sometime I get sorry we were never in it, or struggled for the pace, and horse could settle better

I have been messing around with the jockey instructions too. Can anyone point me in the right direction on the the pace comments, also the definitions of the jockey instructions.

Thank I appreciate your time

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:16 am
Selling plater

Post Re: Jockey comment help
Hey!

So I'm not completely sure of the jockey comments and instructions myself, but I have made some conclusions. Don't take this as complete fact though!

Didn't have the pace to get into the race: I've seen people on this forum say that this means the horse wants a longer trip. I think this is true for some horses, but from my experience, this comment tends to mean that the pace of the race didn't favor the horse. Think of real life racing. Say you have a closer, and a slow pace up front. That horse doesn't have much to close into, so it likely won't run as well. I think the same goes for the game.

Struggled for pace: This is essentially just different wording of didn't have the pace to get into the race.

Sorry but we were never in it: I've always seen this as a class related comment. If you get this, it probably means that the horse was running against competition that was simply too tough, hence why it was never in the race. It could have a bit to do with pace as well, but I lean towards the former.

The horse could've settled better: I've noticed that I tend to get this comment after I put blinkers on a horse, or any other pacifier. But what I've taken from this comment the most is switching surfaces. For example, I run a horse on the dirt, it doesn't run well, and I get this comment. When I switch to the turf, the horse runs better or even wins, and I don't get this comment. The same goes for a turf to dirt switch. I wouldn't say this works all the time though. It really depends on the horse.

Also, an important note: You'll want to hire a jockey that has high honesty, high obedience, and high skill. That way you have the most accurate comments, your instructions are actually listened to, and you get a skilled jockey.

Now, jockey instructions. These still confuse me a bit, but I think I have a pretty good understanding of them. I'll break them down for ya.

Don't lead: Pretty self-explanatory. Jockey will not send the horse to the lead. I have found though that horses will sometimes still lead despite me selecting this, which I tend to do. That seems to be mostly my 2yos and more inexperienced horses I've noticed.

Miss break: I've never used this, but I suppose it instructs the jockey to miss the break on purpose? I guess that could be beneficial if you have more than one horse in a race and missing the break with one could help the other, likely one at a bigger price that you know has a big shot at winning. I think you can get fined for this though.

Don't trail: Also self-explanatory. Jockey will avoid trailing the field.

Don't go clear: Jockey will restrain the horse a bit and won't let it win by a huge margin.

Challenge later: Jockey will restrain the horse early and then make a run at the end.

Challenge earlier: Jockey will put the horse into the race early, and likely go for the lead.

Hands and heels: This basically means that the jockey will avoid using the whip, and instead give the horse a hand ride.

Prefer inside, prefer center, prefer outside: This instructs the jockey to stick to a certain part of the course. Sometimes before a race you'll see a little comment under the form that says something about the course. For example, "Jockeys have reported that the inner part of the course is choppy." If I see this, I might tell the jockey to prefer the center or outside parts of the course. Sometimes. Usually I just leave it alone.

I always select two things for jockey instructions: don't lead and don't trail. Perhaps this isn't ideal, but it's worked for me. I personally don't want my horses to lead OR sit in the back. Somewhere in midfield or just off the pace is preferable. However, if my horse shows it wants the lead or wants to trail (Wanting the lead is more common in my experience) I will deselect one of the two.

Hopefully this is helpful! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know and I will do my best to help!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:53 am
Selling plater

BCR

I can’t thank you enough this was a lot of work I appreciate your help on this, I printed it out lol.

One more thing I just saw in the comments

This horse ran freely, does that mean put a restrain on him.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:24 am
Selling plater

I'm not 100% sure what to do about the ran freely comment. It's logical to restrain the horse in some way, but I've tried it and nothing worked. I've read through forum posts specifically about it and the conclusion that everybody came to was don't worry about it, so that's what I've done and recommend. I will say this though: the horse running freely could have something to do with disposition (excitable, normal, laid-back) as well as age/maturity, so if you're having trouble with horses that run freely, focus on those two things. Try to acquire laid-back horses from the sales and if you get into breeding (which I highly recommend, it has brought me great success) try to breed laid-back horses. I recommend doing this regardless. As for the age/maturity thing, if you have a young horse that runs freely and hasn't shown any improvement, try giving that horse a break for the season and run them when they're older. A last resort would be gelding the horse if it's a colt.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:41 pm
Selling plater

I think this is related to the knowledge of horse racing. Choosing any form requires a clear understanding of the situation, location, and characteristicssnake io. Virtually 1-on-1 will ensure effective instruction. I think to choose an instructor you need to learn practical experience to have an assessment.

Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]