View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 I just realized mares can give birth to multiple foals i 
Selling plater

Post I just realized mares can give birth to multiple foals i
in the same year. How is that possible? It seems unrealistic.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:51 am
Handicapper

Post Re: I just realized mares can give birth to multiple foals i
I only run into that using a non-US combined (jumps+flat) racing schedule.

To avoid it, you need to not breed in the gap between Jan 1 and Apr 10.

Which, as a breeder, leaving out Jan. is exactly the breeding time! So also unrealistic, but in a lesser way than all those twins.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:44 am
Handicapper

You can control what occurs in your breeding barn, but there's no stopping the AI. Some game mares produce up to seven foals per season. I suspect this may be related to the size of the horse pool.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Selling plater

marklaker wrote:
You can control what occurs in your breeding barn, but there's no stopping the AI. Some game mares produce up to seven foals per season. I suspect this may be related to the size of the horse pool.

That's probably the reason but it does give some AI owners a big advantage if they have an excellent mare.

Speaking of breeding what attributes do you focus on? Which is more important, stamina or speed?

Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:26 pm
Handicapper

Fairmount wrote:

That's probably the reason but it does give some AI owners a big advantage if they have an excellent mare.

I'm not averse to AI advantages. Otherwise, it would be far too easy to dominate, at which point my interest would flag.

Speaking of breeding what attributes do you focus on? Which is more important, stamina or speed?[/quote]

I'll leave breeding advice to others. I play solo only, under US flats, using the START IT mod, and I'm just six seasons in.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:53 am
Selling plater

marklaker wrote:
Fairmount wrote:

I'm not averse to AI advantages. Otherwise, it would be far too easy to dominate, at which point my interest would flag.

Speaking of breeding what attributes do you focus on? Which is more important, stamina or speed?

I'll leave breeding advice to others. I play solo only, under US flats, using the START IT mod, and I'm just six seasons in.[/quote]
I've searched the archives and it seems speed and potential are recommended. I have three 100% speed horses. Still looking for a 100% potential horse. I train the speed horses in stamina to get a horse capable of some distance with excellent speed.

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]