View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Should I make him a stud? 
Selling plater

Post Should I make him a stud?
I have a horse with really good stats but performs really badly in races. Its only won 3 out of 20 races and earned just £14000. Is it worth making him a stud or should I sell him?

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:36 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Should I make him a stud?
Ryan1982G wrote:
I have a horse with really good stats but performs really badly in races. Its only won 3 out of 20 races and earned just £14000. Is it worth making him a stud or should I sell him?

That's pretty vague. You'll receive better feedback if you post his expanded stats and race history.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:56 am
Selling plater

marklaker wrote:
Ryan1982G wrote:

That's pretty vague. You'll receive better feedback if you post his expanded stats and race history.

Hi Mark, I've uploaded some screenshots. I hope this helps.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:50 am
Handicapper

Well, imo. His speed is a bit low so I would only use him as a stud to service lesser mares whose yearlings I can flip for $. Unfortunately with no wins those yearling will be worthless. Not even G3 level.
So no.
I would move him on down the road.
You want 80 POT and 80 SPD who snuck a G1 win in somehow, for even a trash stud to make flippable babies. He won't ever get there, so unless you just love watching him lose I would auction him off to some nice family farm to live out his days in peace and quiet. Or maybe some handicapper or claiming race outfit.

Just imo $.02 due upon invoice.
Good luck Ryan.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 pm
Selling plater

NealMac wrote:
Well, imo. His speed is a bit low so I would only use him as a stud to service lesser mares whose yearlings I can flip for $. Unfortunately with no wins those yearling will be worthless. Not even G3 level.
So no.
I would move him on down the road.
You want 80 POT and 80 SPD who snuck a G1 win in somehow, for even a trash stud to make flippable babies. He won't ever get there, so unless you just love watching him lose I would auction him off to some nice family farm to live out his days in peace and quiet. Or maybe some handicapper or claiming race outfit.

Just imo $.02 due upon invoice.
Good luck Ryan.

Damn it! I had such high hope when I got him. I thought he was going to be good. Oh well off to the auction he goes. Thank you for your help.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:07 pm
Handicapper

No problem buddy.
If you want you can keep him. Retire him to stud in October and breed him with a mare and see how much you get for that horse when it turns 2. My guess is under 100k.

Ryan, Here is a horse I had high hope for from the time he was 2 years old. Came from my best breeding mare, who had also been my best racer at that point before I retired her (with 3 G1 wins under her belt).
Looking at his summary I had hopes of maybe being viable for a Preakness win.
I had thought of him yesterday when you mentioned you couldn't get some horses to win no matter what.

But alas, wasn't meant to be.
Unfortunately his secondary traits do him in I guess. Especially his non existent confidence. Once he lost he just kept on losing.

I am still trying with him, and will give him the rest of this season and the start of next as a 5 yo to see if I can get a G1 winner stud to at least put babies into the flippable category as 2 year old's unraced.
It is weird. I only win G1 races with females so far in this particular league game.

Last edited by NealMac on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:18 pm
Handicapper

Ryan, also interesting is with the nature of the game and breeding I would keep your horse Shard Anubis around if it was a female. It would be a clear upgrade to many mares I have in breeding right now.
Sexism is alive and well. Hard life for a male horse in SO7- win or else.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:34 pm
Handicapper

Ryan1982G wrote:
marklaker wrote:
Ryan1982G wrote:

Hi Mark, I've uploaded some screenshots. I hope this helps.

Ryan,

He wouldn't be a candidate for my stud farm. That said, I'm intrigued at his overall poor performance and inability to win above the C5 handicap level (aside from his maiden). Do you run your horses at fitness levels below 90? Otherwise, I'm wondering if there aren't hidden stats working against him. Here's a stallion from my racing stable with even less potential, but otherwise fairly comparable ratings, who's won 11 C1/C2 level allowances and handicaps.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:28 am
Selling plater

Quote:

Ryan,

He wouldn't be a candidate for my stud farm. That said, I'm intrigued at his overall poor performance and inability to win above the C5 handicap level (aside from his maiden). Do you run your horses at fitness levels below 90? Otherwise, I'm wondering if there aren't hidden stats working against him. Here's a stallion from my racing stable with even less potential, but otherwise fairly comparable ratings, who's won 11 C1/C2 level allowances and handicaps.

I don't really check my horses fitness levels, I wait for the head lad to give the all clear and then I enter him/her into a race. I'll have to start checking from now on to make sure their in prime shape and ready to go.

I've sold the horse now so I've got no way of testing to see if it was fitness related. Thanks for your help.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:27 pm
Selling plater

NealMac wrote:

But alas, wasn't meant to be.
Unfortunately his secondary traits do him in I guess. Especially his non existent confidence. Once he lost he just kept on losing.

I don't know why but most of the horses I breed have very low confidence and distance adaptability. I'd have some very good horses if I could get those 2 stats higher.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:14 pm
Selling plater

NealMac wrote:
Ryan, also interesting is with the nature of the game and breeding I would keep your horse Shard Anubis around if it was a female. It would be a clear upgrade to many mares I have in breeding right now.

You're right sexism is alive and well in this game. I don't even race my female horses they go straight to the breeding barn or get sold at auction lol.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:21 pm
Handicapper

Ryan1982G wrote:
NealMac wrote:

You're right sexism is alive and well in this game. I don't even race my female horses they go straight to the breeding barn or get sold at auction lol.

Don't you have to give them 4-5 races as a 2 yo at least, to get their speed and POT boosts?
Because I race them as 2 and 3 yo's for that purpose, even if I know they are only breeding mares in the long run. Plus I like to see a medal beside their name in breeding barn.

the Colts though, cutthroat. Can't win or I have a better male at same distance, and they are gone. If you can't make me $$$ in prize money and you can't win a G1 to breed, or beat out another male in same category, what use would it be?
A subpar filly can just coast into the comfy life in the breeding barn. :)

Oh, BTW, I got a G1 and 2 G3 wins with the horse I posted (Brae Ridge). I bred him at end of season with a couple of my lesser mares and got not good foals that only sold for 1 mil range. Going to try to get him some more wins in year 5 and breed him with some better mares and see what happens.

Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:55 am
Handicapper

Ryan1982G wrote:
NealMac wrote:

I've had my best success racing fillies and mares. I'd even suggest the game is somewhat slanted to the fairer sex, at least in my experience/save. The best horse in my save by far is a female juggernaut, who absolutely decimated her competition, and four of the seven Kentucky Derby winners have been fillies, whereas in the almost 150 year history of the real life Derby, only three fillies have ever captured the trophy.

Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:35 pm
Handicapper

marklaker wrote:
Ryan1982G wrote:
NealMac wrote:

I've had my best success racing fillies and mares. I'd even suggest the game is somewhat slanted to the fairer sex, at least in my experience/save. The best horse in my save by far is a female juggernaut, who absolutely decimated her competition, and four of the seven Kentucky Derby winners have been fillies, whereas in the almost 150 year history of the real life Derby, only three fillies have ever captured the trophy.

Same here. My females have more success than my males, and it really isn't close.
I have wondered if it is because I feel no pressure with them and usually race them within their rating. Where with Males I am still desperate to find an in house stud, and I really push them, perhaps into the level of races they are not ready for in pursuit of that much needed G1 win for breeding.

Hey, if it says a horse will not settle, what does that mean, and is that when you use a blinker or visor?

Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:39 pm
Handicapper

NealMac wrote:

Hey, if it says a horse will not settle, what does that mean, and is that when you use a blinker or visor?

Possibly. If the horse is excitable or rated for quirks, you might get this. It could also mean it's struggling with your instructions or the race conditions (i.e., surface, going, distance). One of my G1 studs has a 25 rating for quirks. When properly mated, he throws good progeny, but too many are basket cases that struggle to live up to their potential so he won't have as many suitors moving forward.

Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next