View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Training Jumpers 
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Training Jumpers
CDJ LIggett wrote:
Hi,

I previously used Pauls method for trialing on the flat, however since I was trying to produce all distances in one game, i finished up really only having sprinters up to a mile and every horse in the CK stated 6f or 7f as there preferred distance. Initially i thought this was because the CK would put the best distance against that horse and since i was trialing as a 2 year old, it made sense that the majority were 5,6,7 as every two year old is a sprinter to begin with.

However, when i got the horses to their 3 year old year, the distances never updated and it still stated 6/7f. Now the first question - does it matter that the distance states this in the CK? or is it actually that my horses average best distance is the stated 6/7?

Further to this, the majority of my horses coming out of the trials which i kept to breed from going forward had about 75-85 extra speed and about 25 for cruising burst, which again and maybe i am wrong is generally the make up of a sprinter, whereas a longer distance horses i would expect higher cruising burst. Am i correct in this thinking?

Another question, will trialing at unraced 2 year old give those who are genuinely sprinters an advantage than a horse that is a middle distance? or am i thinking about it too realistically.

So after deciding to start a new game, i have found some lovely bars horses to breed from 75/80 cruising burst coupled with 75/80 extra speed and these when export to the CK are having even at 2 year of age ranging distances from 5 up to 1m6.

Now i started a national hunt game, entered a few horses in the league and they are useless to say the least, but i expected that after only a few years of breeding. So my new game i have decided to try and breed more specifically, i.e. i have detailed all the stats of the mares and the stallions and matching them where they are missing. 0 Finish application with 100 finish application. Sensible yes or no? as it takes so much more time to breed than just throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Trialing wise for national hunt how is it recommended?

You are better off using the red stamina bar to gauge best distance.

Trialling wise its pretty much the same as flat really so if you have a good system use that.

Personally I have a 4yo hurdler trial over 2m and 2m1F at Cheltenham and Aintree. As the 4yos generally dont race over further than 2m1f and dont have many chasing opportunities you can get away with a flat horse as a 4yo hurdler. It has been one of my best areas for many seasons. I almost always pick up one of the G1 4yo races and usually its with a flat bred horse,

I then trial from 6yo up at 2m 2m4f and 3m over hurdles and 2m 2m5f 3m 3m2f 3m5f and 4m over fences. Then everything over 7 that is a 3m plus horse goes in the GN trial.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2