View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Jumps advice needed 
Selling plater

Post Jumps advice needed
Not really put much time into the jumps before but am going to start a new game now.

What do you look for in a good chaser?

Is it how high the jumps bar is or how good his jump training & agility potential is.

Any tips would be nice.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm
Group 2 winner

First off, I don't look for a chaser or hurdler. I look for a good horse. Chasing and hurdling come later.

The second point is, use the stat bars and head lad comments as a guide only. Form your own opinion of the horse as it progresses through it's career. By watching the races, will help you agree with the headlad and stats, or you might be pleasantly surprised with the horse you found and everyone else has written off. As a horse gains experience and confidence, it's stat bars will start to climb if the natural ability is there.

Third point would be to start slowly. I go:
Bumpers
Hurdling
Chasing

In that order. And build up your horse through the novice ranks for each discipline.

The only time I would move a horse from Novice Hurdles to Novice Chasing quicker than normal is, for example, if I've got a nice horse that's struggling for pace over his ideal trip at hurdling. Chasing, which is run at a fractionally slower pace, might be perfect for it.

Hope that helps in some way..

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 am
Group 3 winner

Some nice tips from colmodea there, exactly the way I do it. Just want to add if you find a nice bumper horse don`t despair if he runs mediocre over hurdles, send it chasing. Think most of the bumpers are run over the chase courses and seems to make quite a difference.
In the same way a mediocre bumper horse may turn out to be a great hurdler. Just gotta try at least bumpers and hurdles before losing faith in a horse.
But if you`re considering the league don`t give up, export your horse, even if it looks rubbish could be a flat star and you would never know unless you try it out in the race builder.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:56 am
Group 2 winner

There's something that I forgot to mention in my first post, and that's distance.

You might buy a very nice 4yo that's bred for 3 miles. Don't expect it, or give up on it, if it doesn't get 3 miles. Despite the stat bars showing good stamina, again, these should only be treated as a guide.

At 4yo, it's best distance might be 2m4f or 2m5f. It might not have sufficient stamina to get the 3 miles until it's 6yo or 7yo season.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:26 am
Handicapper

i think everyone here is giving brilliant advice

for what its worth..... ive found with the default schedule, when you come to october the only juv hurdles are for 3yo only. There are maiden hurdles for older horses but ive found myself stuck when i have a 4yo that needs to progress from bumpers but has lost its maiden title?

now i make sure they have some kind of handicap mark b4 the season if i want to run them oct - dec the next year. Unless they can go novice chasing, although I only do that if desperate as someone else has pointed out

Njoy!!!

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 pm
Handicapper

i try to give my horses 3 runs in bumpers from jan-may as a 3yr old, in oct i will run them on the galllops over jumps or in a nov/juv hurdle race.

in oct of 4 yr old career i will send most horses nov chasing if they are not rated highly over hurdles. if i have any good hurdlers or bad jumpers i will give them another year over hurdles

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]