View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Rating update from maidens, claimers and sellers too literal 
Selling plater

Post Rating update from maidens, claimers and sellers too literal
Love the game, really enjoying it. One thing that tempers that enjoyment a tad is that the adjustments to horses ratings following maidens, sellers and claimers* is far too literal.

For example, 4yo horse has had 10 career runs, the last 8 of which have been in handicap company. His rating has hovered between 58 and 61. He then runs in a maiden against horses of varying abilities (ratings between about 40 and 90). He runs a decent 5th place and his rating goes up from 60 to 67. It would seem that form in this context (by way of comparison with other horses in the race) is taken far too literally.

It also happens in claimers and sellers with winners - on massively favourable terms - and that's the key part - going up 5, 6, 7lb on the basis of a facile win, when actually if you look at the result taking account of ratings and weights (i.e. the adjusted handicap), they haven't actually run that well at! Sometimes, not even up to their original mark.

*probably is the same for all non-handicap races

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 am
Selling plater

Pulled up in a maiden, rating goes up by 12.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 pm
Selling plater

Here is a hilarious one. Running decently enough at around the 49 rating mark in weak handicaps. Wins a claimer on favourable terms and goes up 10! Completely ridiculous and unrealistic - horses winning poor claimers on favourable terms do not get raised in the handicap like this.

Hope this can maybe be looked at for future versions of the game. If you want any more examples then let me know, there's lots of them.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 pm
Group 1 winner

You get it a lot if horses fall over the jumps. Some go up because they've run well and fallen at the last which is fair enough. But lots go up in the ratings for falling early/mid race without showing any kind of form. I saw one go from 81-100 it's form figures were: FFPFF. It went up 10 pounds for it's last fall because it fell at the second last!

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:52 am
Selling plater

Bumping this for SO5. Remains my only real gripe with the game.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]