View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Perfected Global Mod 
Selling plater

Post Re: Perfected Global Mod
Hi thanks for the work but just started with your schedule and it seems to be missing feature handicaps. Such as Wokingham at Ascot.

Any ideas thanks

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:55 pm
Group 1 winner

atiggerx33 wrote:
I used the list of pattern races suggested to me by another user oh so many months ago. The list did not contain any handicaps (well like one or two ungraded ones), but none of the "heritage handicaps" (I think that's what they're called, I'm not as familiar with foreign racing as I would like to be), I also questioned how to include them, I mean I don't think they are technically graded, but attract high class fields because of their purse, with the game none of the superstar gamebreds will be interested in ungraded handicaps when nice graded races are in the program, and it would be a real shame to include them just to see listed racers at best running in them. I could just make them graded handicaps (which would probably be the best solution), but I would need someone who has far more experience with them tell me which grade they should be considered based on the quality of field they usually attract (I am assuming they all don't attract G1 fields). I just wanted to avoid including them if I couldn't figure out a way to do so without them only attracting mediocre fields at best, I feel like that would be a disservice.

I have found a site ratz4racing.co.uk that lists the rating trends for each of them, I am not entirely sure of what each one would mean in terms of whether it should be Listed - G1, have to do some research on what stakes levels attract what horse ratings in the game, but I think it may be doable if nobody objects to them being actual graded events.

The UK doesn't have graded handicaps in the same way that the US and Australia does. The valuable handicaps in the UK mostly only attract horses that are up to listed level (or horses that are on the upgrade and are using valuable handicaps as a stepping stone to group level), so these races should be entered either as 0-110, 0-105 (some of these races actually specify this as the range) or 0-100, depending on their value. As a rough guide, you could have 0-110 for handicaps valued at £100k+, 0-105 for £50k+ and 0-100 for feature handicaps under £50k.

The idea behind these handicaps is not to attract top quality horses. It's more about the history and the spectacle with these races (and of course they're always very popular as betting races). The Wokingham at Ascot, mentioned by the previous poster, has more than 200 years of history (est. 1813) while many of the other valuable handicaps in the calendar have been around since the mid-1800s. These races also have a large number of runners, with the Cambridgeshire at Newmarket always attracting a maximum field of 35 runners. The other valuable handicaps in the calendar all have maximum fields ranging between 20-34 runners, so these races can often be very impressive to watch, even if the quality isn't as high as group races.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm
Group 1 winner

atiggerx33 wrote:
Is there any way to enter a range, like 90 - 100 or something? As I said the site I found posts the rating trends for the horses entered so I can have a good idea of the minimum and maximum quality of horses entering these races. I will probably use the site for the maximum rating in any case, maybe up it 5 points from the trend to give some cushion room. I guess I should make them all Listed Handicaps then, since they are feature races, just not graded ones.

If you enter 100, 105 or 110 as the race type in the showcases file it will give you handicaps with ranges of 0-100, 0-105 or 0-110, which is the most realistic way to do it, so there is no need to put them as listed handicaps. None of the feature handicaps have restricted ranges, and the only reason you often see quite a narrow range in some of these races in real life is because they've been over-subscribed and the lowest-rated horses get balloted out (in fact, some of them even have consolation races run over the same conditions on the same day to accommodate those horses that don't make the cut).

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:51 pm
Group 1 winner

atiggerx33 wrote:
Doesn't making them listed in the game just put them on the feature race list? Or are any races added put on the feature race list? I feel like they should be on the list of features because they are notable races, not as notable as the stakes of course, but winning them is a bigger win for the horse than if they won an unnamed handicap, they are facing the best of their (albeit lower) levels. I just want to make sure the races appear as feature events, they may be minor features, but still worth showing in a horse's career history.

Any race that you put in the showcases files will appear as feature races in the game, even maidens.

They're all listed under either 0-100, 0-105 or 0-110 in the default schedule.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 pm
Selling plater

panther wrote:

If you enter 100, 105 or 110 as the race type in the showcases file it will give you handicaps with ranges of 0-100, 0-105 or 0-110, which is the most realistic way to do it, so there is no need to put them as listed handicaps. None of the feature handicaps have restricted ranges, and the only reason you often see quite a narrow range in some of these races in real life is because they've been over-subscribed and the lowest-rated horses get balloted out (in fact, some of them even have consolation races run over the same conditions on the same day to accommodate those horses that don't make the cut).

One thing Mark could take a look at is that group races are never oversubscribed, not like handicap-races.
Which means that if you restrict a group race to 8 horses, the ai subscribes exactly 8 horses and not more.
I think it would be an improvement of the quality of the field, if lets's say 20 horses subscribe for a Group 1 race and only the 8 best make the final entry list, if you know what i mean.

Implementing a minimum rating might not be realistic, but could be a really helpful tool as well.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:10 pm
Group 1 winner

atiggerx33 wrote:
Thank you Panther I will add them at the end, (have to give the Stakes race dates priority), going back to move things around is more difficult than just adding them at the end to the closest available date. They will be there in the final version though.

Pretty much all of the valuable handicaps are on big race days, along with group and/or listed races, so you would rarely have to add extra meetings specifically for these races, and in my own schedule I managed to fit all of them on the correct dates without any issues. Some of the very important handicaps have a much higher profile than Group 3 or even some Group 2 races. For example, races like the Ebor, Cambridgeshire and Ayr Gold Cup (along with some others) are all very much the main races on the days they're held, despite sharing those days with group races.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm
Selling plater

:lol: Hey ax i have two questions 1st any update on this 2nd is your first schedule useable because i am looking to start a new game thanks for your work .how long did it you take to make this

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 am
Group 1 winner

Hey, atigger. Just wondering if you are going to be continuing this mod? I really am interested in this mod for a while and hope that you continue with your really good work!

Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next