View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Absolute beginner custom schedule questions. 
Group 3 winner

Post Absolute beginner custom schedule questions.
I have the bug to look at modding the schedule, just to see how it's done, and I have some basic questions.

1. UK game, where do I find the schedule to begin editing it?
2. Is there a limit to how many days you can have 3 meetings a day?
3. Is this relatively easy (I am 56 and although I am clever enough I have never done anything like this before)
4. If I edit the stock schedule I am assuming I would save my edited schedule under a different name, where?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but, I am literally clueless.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Absolute beginner custom schedule questions.
As another relative newbie, I'll pass on the help I've been given.

FIRST, start with the instruction book. Right at the end, on page 74, is the "attributes" of each race entry in the feature race file. This is how the computer understands the information for a race, so understands the distance, the class, the racecourse it's held at, who can enter it, what the prize money is, etc.

This information is stored in the file named featureRaces_flat.db in the folder for each country. This file is unique to each country and can't have races from different countries in them. For the UK races, this file is in C:/Program Files/Starters Orders 7/db/UK.

Now to make a complete schedule, you need the file called _sched_f.db from the folder of the country you're playing as. So I'm assuming UK for you. Only the countries you can choose at the start of the game have a schedule file, so IRE, UK, USA, and AUS.

Before you do anything else, you're going to open up a new File Browser window, this time starting at My Documents. Here there is another folder called Starters Orders 7. Inside this folder is where your mods and saves go. If there isn't a folder called "mods", create one (the name has to be in lower case). Then create another folder inside the mods folder, called "My custom schedule" or whatever you want your schedule to be called. Now in that folder, you're going to recreate the /db/ folder. So you're modding a UK schedule, so you'd create a folder called UK, then switch back to where the original schedule files are stored (in the other window), copy both files in the UK folder, then copy them into your new mod folder.

These are the files you're going to modify, since you shouldn't ever change the original files. If you change the other country's files, you copy them over before doing it in the same way, but putting them in their own folder.

I highly recommend downloading a free text-editing program called Notepad++ - if you edit plain text files in Microsoft Word, they'll pick up extra invisible things that will mess with the format of your file.

1. So I've answered that above, you'll have the copied schedule to begin editing and to use as a reference.
2. The limit is 8 races a meeting, 3 meetings a day, for every day you have in the schedule.
3. I'd say this is definitely relatively easy (compared to other modding) and actually a great way of dipping your toe in the water for modding. It doesn't actually require any knowledge of a coding language like HTML, it's just writing out logical text.
4. So you'll be editing the schedule files in the mods folder and because you've copied them over from the originals, they'll keep the same name. This is how they need to be named for the game to understand what the file is, so just don't rename them :)

Lastly, before you start drafting new races, read this wonderful post that SiriusChill copied over when I had questions: https://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=152958#p152958. I definitely think writing it this way is easier and converting the race file is very simple.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 pm
Group 3 winner

twilightramblings wrote:
As another relative newbie, I'll pass on the help I've been given.

FIRST, start with the instruction book. Right at the end, on page 74, is the "attributes" of each race entry in the feature race file. This is how the computer understands the information for a race, so understands the distance, the class, the racecourse it's held at, who can enter it, what the prize money is, etc.

This information is stored in the file named featureRaces_flat.db in the folder for each country. This file is unique to each country and can't have races from different countries in them. For the UK races, this file is in C:/Program Files/Starters Orders 7/db/UK.

Now to make a complete schedule, you need the file called _sched_f.db from the folder of the country you're playing as. So I'm assuming UK for you. Only the countries you can choose at the start of the game have a schedule file, so IRE, UK, USA, and AUS.

Before you do anything else, you're going to open up a new File Browser window, this time starting at My Documents. Here there is another folder called Starters Orders 7. Inside this folder is where your mods and saves go. If there isn't a folder called "mods", create one (the name has to be in lower case). Then create another folder inside the mods folder, called "My custom schedule" or whatever you want your schedule to be called. Now in that folder, you're going to recreate the /db/ folder. So you're modding a UK schedule, so you'd create a folder called UK, then switch back to where the original schedule files are stored (in the other window), copy both files in the UK folder, then copy them into your new mod folder.

These are the files you're going to modify, since you shouldn't ever change the original files. If you change the other country's files, you copy them over before doing it in the same way, but putting them in their own folder.

I highly recommend downloading a free text-editing program called Notepad++ - if you edit plain text files in Microsoft Word, they'll pick up extra invisible things that will mess with the format of your file.

1. So I've answered that above, you'll have the copied schedule to begin editing and to use as a reference.
2. The limit is 8 races a meeting, 3 meetings a day, for every day you have in the schedule.
3. I'd say this is definitely relatively easy (compared to other modding) and actually a great way of dipping your toe in the water for modding. It doesn't actually require any knowledge of a coding language like HTML, it's just writing out logical text.
4. So you'll be editing the schedule files in the mods folder and because you've copied them over from the originals, they'll keep the same name. This is how they need to be named for the game to understand what the file is, so just don't rename them :)

Lastly, before you start drafting new races, read this wonderful post that SiriusChill copied over when I had questions: https://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=152958#p152958. I definitely think writing it this way is easier and converting the race file is very simple.

Cheers mate, a lot for me to digest, but I shall dip my toe into the water when I have a spare few hours and see if I can follow the process, if I can then I'll give it a go.

Very much appreciated.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:15 pm
Handicapper

I'm sorry the post is a bit "wall of text-y". I didn't know your level with going into the files and making mods folders, so I spelled that out step by step. I think the most important part is that you can think logically about making sure each race has all the information it needs and that the race you're assigning is logical - so for instance, not assigning a Turf attribute to a race that's held at a Dirt-only racecourse.

I would definitely sketch out the info you want to add or change before diving in to editing the great big text files. Some people use a spreadsheet, you could use a calendar, even if you had a blank weekly or daily planner around. Having this information clear in your head before diving in to modify makes it a lot less intimidating. I've actually just finished writing out the entire schedule (just race names for each race meeting) by hand in a notebook because sometimes my eyes go a bit crossed reading lots of plain text in a file (this could be considered overkill, for sure).

If you've got particular things that are making you itch to change it up, writing this stuff down can be a bit of a to do list. So if there's just one wrong detail on this particular race, well go find that one and fix it up. Then if there's a race meeting you want to add, draft out the schedule and feature race attributes for that day alone. So far, I've pulled all of my new races from real life, just by looking up the information using betting websites, race associations and Wikipedia. My goal was just to fill out the Australian schedule so I never ran out of race options for my feature race winners.

And remember, if you're not planning on publishing the modded schedule, it's just for you and it doesn't matter how long it takes or how many times you have to go back and fix or change things. It's a great little project to take on and work on bit by bit, a bit like having a weekend DIY project. And the sense of pride when it you realise you're playing something you made, man it's almost better than when your first homebred wins a G1! :D

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:10 am
Group 3 winner

Thanks for the further info. I am wanting to change the entire schedule to add more maidens, seller, claimers and low end handicaps etc. I have had a nose around the two files you advised but they only seem to cover the feature races, unless I'm mistaken. Is there a separate file that shows the make-up of the standard races?

Thanks again

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 pm
Handicapper

Oh, you're a man after my own heart - I want nothing more than to be able to customise the default non-feature races. Unfortunately, that file isn't available to modders. The only way to do it is to write them as feature races. You can still do that using the attributes we're offered, it's possible to make a Class 7 or Claiming race but they'll all act as feature races in-game. I haven't done extensive testing to see how the AI is affected when there are lower end feature races but the other schedule makers might have, for instance the person who made the Start It Mod. They've made a UK schedule with one meeting a day full of custom handicaps.

I'm now planning to do something pretty similar with my Australian schedule by having one "feature" race meeting a day, between the international meets, the actual Australian feature races, I've more than quadrupled the amount of NZ races and even then I'm still going to have to do quite a few meetings worth of custom handicaps, listed, & conditions races. Plus filling out each international meeting, since if there isn't a full 6-8 races, no races get procedurally generated.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:27 am
Group 3 winner

Thanks again mate, looks like I'll just be padding it out with a few days each month of feature race meetings that have low level handicaps and condition races. I really appreciate all of your help, I am considerably more educated on the matter than I was previously. My daughter who is studying to be a game programmer is also going to assist me.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:24 am
Group 3 winner

Ok, I know I'm not stupid, however, I can't get my head around this. Do you need to amend both the _sched_f.db file and the featureRaces_flat.db file, and if so, what would you add to each. I've kind of worked out the featureRaces file side, I think, but, from what's in the original files I'm having trouble what the corresponding change to the sched_f file would be when I add a race. My theory is to add a day a week to the schedule of low end handicaps at varying distances. If I was to use the Sirius Chill advice you kindly highlighted to me would I have to completely rewrite the Featureraces file so that all races appear in SO6 format and then run that through the convertor?

As an example, say in April I wanted to do a day of 0-60 handicaps at varying distances, and for arguments sake we'll say 3rd April, would you be kind enough to write the text I would need to input, just for one of the races, into both files to make it work.

Sorry for all of the questions. You know when you wish you hadn't started something but you've already been bitten by the bug so now it's too late to go back, that's where I am now :D

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am
Group 3 winner

I Believe I have worked it out, doing SO7 method, however, why is there no corresponding lines in the Featurerace file to go with the 1,5 entry for Wolverhampton, being the first race in the schedule file, I thought it would have to have an entry in the Featurerace file? I have worked out that races not in UK are listed in schedule file but their corresponding Featurerace file line I assume is in their respective country file?

My question about writing it in S)6 style and converting does however still stand.

Thanks again

Chris

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 am
Handicapper

The feature race file can be in any order you like, so what you could do is do the SO6 file conversion on a file only containing your new races, then copy and paste the text to the bottom of that file.

For the two files, in the schedule file, on the right date, you add the date, racecourse/surface and the race name so:

Arcadia:cc_dirt1
Santa Anita Handicap

Then for the feature race file you would add:

<NAME>Santa Anita Handicap<RACECOURSE>Arcadia:cc_dirt1
<MONTH>Jan<PRIZE>1000000<DISTANCE>10.0<RACECATAG>G1<AGE>3YOUP
or
<NAME>UBET Class 7 Handicap<RACECOURSE>Arcadia:cc_flatTurf1
<MONTH>Jan<PRIZE>30000<DISTANCE>12.0<RACECATAG>H80<AGE>4YOUP<SEX>FM
For the racecourse surface types, you can browse the _racecourses.db file and it will have what code to use for each racecourse. Not all courses will have dirt and Turf and some will have jumps.

Each country has it's own feature race file, yes. The only thing that you have to make sure is that the schedule file matches the feature race details exactly.

I totally know what you mean about the bug, I've been bitten and I'm now finding current schedules for all the Series in the international races, like The Road to the Kentucky Derby and the Breeders Cup. I made new records for 800 Australian races and 90 New Zealand races, just to start with.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:27 am
Group 3 winner

Thanks a million, it's all kind of clear now. The conversion tool is part of the game I assume, will have a look later, and then convert and copy and paste to bottom of the feature races file.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Group 3 winner

One more set of quick questions. Is there a list anywhere of which courses have meetings on which days or is that something you need to compile yourself. Dont obviously want to create a meeting on a day when there already is 3, and I'd also like to spread the new meetings about a bit. This is hopefully going to go well now and doesn't seem anywhere near as daunting as it did at first

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:19 pm
Handicapper

Yes, the instructions for converting the SO6 files are in the manual or you can also view the linked Youtube video in SiriusChill's post. One thing I missed when I tried it was that I didn't copy the racecourse file over and rename it. It's the same _racecourses.db file but you have to change just the name to _courses.dat and then copy it in with your feature race file.

The default races are procedurally generated by the computer when you start the game and they actually randomise every time you start a game. So you can create the schedule you want and then the system will produce default races around that. Unfortunately, that means you can't use them as a base to spring off of, you have to create one yourself. But, if you wanted to, you could go through the game taking down what generates each day and you'd just have to make the custom race entries. One caveat to that though - each race name must be unique, so you can't use a generic race and then schedule it multiple times. I've just looked at the files for the Start It modded schedule MJTags posts and it seems like they've used the month in some of the race names to be able to make the names unique or possibly copied the names out of a real life racing schedule, since most of those race names are unique due to sponsors.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:42 pm
Selling plater

Hi,

If you put the MjTags "feature" races folder into the main game DB file, it will give lots of named feature races of all kinds. You can use Notepad ++ to copy the ones you want into your own schedule. You can use the schedule editor to place them on the day you want, as they will appear on the left side of the screen. It will give you everything from low end "named" handicaps to Gr1s. It won't give you sellers. In my experience, it will most often generate the feature race you have chosen plus one the game generates. This will usually be a maiden on the flat. Put in two "feature races" and it may not generate another random race. Even one game-generated race can have to effect of massively increasing the number of active horses. The game is very good at recognising a logical career path (apart from its annoying habit of switching group class 6f horses straight to two mile chasing). So make sure they have a chance to go from maidens to listed etc. The low end handicaps you desire need a good few years to start attracting fields of more than four. You may well see the need for this stepping stone. The game doesn't.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]