View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Good Site for Custom Race Names 
Handicapper

Post Good Site for Custom Race Names
Hey guys, thought I'd post this for anyone who's making custom races and need generic sounding names:

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/farm-names.php

It's supposed to be for farm names but lots of races are named after local farms. And there's other pages for things like lakes and forests, which could throw a few good ones as well. So far it's come up with (taking the "farm" off the end):
- Little Acorn
- Lock, Stock & Barrel
- Red Dog
- Canyon Crest
- Strawberry Valley

I'm trying to avoid brand names and hours spent flicking through race forms to find distinctive names, so I'm glad I remembered this existed.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:41 am
Handicapper

Post Re: Good Site for Custom Race Names
Oh, I have used that site for names in other games. What a clever suggestion!

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:47 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Good Site for Custom Race Names
Thank you! Yeah, I'm a writer, so I've heard about the site from other writers but thought I'd take a look, since I've been putting off generating new custom feature races simply because of not wanting to name them all. I've even used a random number generator to make the custom feature races, for choosing the distance and grade. Feels a little DnD right now :lol:

I also looked at a few sites that had "racehorse" names to get some ideas, because there's races like the Makybe Diva Stakes and the Secretariat Stakes, so it would make sense for races to be named after made-up famous race horses.

I'm a bit like this in all my games - I avoid anything with real branding because it can age badly or just doesn't merge well with the other non-branded content. I really like the way the Planet Coaster game made up brands for their in-game stores, that have connected franchises and branding material you can post around your theme park, like normal brands would. And now that they're making a second game, Planet Zoo, the same brands are being used in that game, so it's something you start associating with the game.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]