View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 UK Combined Schedule 
Handicapper

Post UK Combined Schedule
Anyone out there got a decent UK combined schedule they wouldn't mind sharing (just the schedule file, no other mods)? I've tried to create my own using Paul' jumps and flat schedules. It looks ok and loads/saves fine in the editor, but when it comes to start a game it gets part way through building the initial form then crashes to desktop. Can't work out why.

Does this seem fine:

[pool]15000
[fpoolperc]25
[secondary_nat]Ireland
start=9
end=8
start_flat=5
end_flat=360
start_jmps=248
end_jmps=159

I'm certain the races are fine as there are no more than 3 locations per day, no more than 7 races per location and everything is just copied from the other schedules which both work. I've tried different start/end dates and pool sizes but seem to get the same issue all the time. If anyone has any ideas on this I'd appreciate it?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: UK Combined Schedule
Looks fine to me ikem007

Are there any races that exceed the 32-character maximum? That definitely will cause a crash during the form build.

There is a method I use which, though time-consuming, does help pinpoint the location of the error. I make a copy of the original schedule file and then start deleting a month's worth of races from the original. So I would start by deleting December's races, save the file, paste it to the data folder for the actual game and then see if the form builds successfully. If it does, then the error was among the December races and I can make a local search for errors. If it still crashes, I repeat the process until the game loads successfully.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:37 pm
Handicapper

I did that recently too on a schedule bobsworth13. The error message doesn't point to the right race most of the time.

Also, if it's straight crashing to desktop without an error message, that's not a race problem.

This was a post I made a little while ago:

Quote:
The one's I know:
If your editing on a Mac, use a text editor that allows you to change the line ending to Windows format. I use Brackets, which is an open-source one.
Your race name in the schedule file must match the feature race file exactly.
The maximum amount per day is 3 meetings, with 8 races max each
Prep race spelling must match the feature race file and the schedule file.
Race names can't be more than 32 characters maximum
There can't be spaces at the end of the lines in the files, which you can find easily by using a text editor, like Brackets, and choosing "Show Whitespace".

As an added aside, I really recommend using a text editor like Brackets, because it will highlight errors if it can. While editing the featureRace file, if you put the text editor on XML mode, it will show if one of your brackets <> aren't closed properly. Plus it can be set to automatically generate the closing bracket, which helps.

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:09 pm
Group 1 winner

Why is modding so much more difficult in this version of starters orders than it ever was in previous iterations?!! I really don't get it.

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:58 pm
Handicapper

If the schedule editor actually worked, I'd be perfectly happy making races and then adding them through the schedule editor. But for some reason, even if a race file says Month=January, the schedule editor won't let you add the race. It even happened when I tried to add some of the default US races to an AUS schedule.

I think the change of format didn't just make it more difficult to type out, but as a new player/modder, it seemed that a lot of people who had mods were a bit exhausted at the idea of having to rewrite their whole schedule or the fact that new AI means races run differently, so you have to change stuff like field size and conditions.

I made a program where you can make a race and a schedule entry at the same time from the basic race information, which I should really make a new post about instead of mentioning offhand. I really wanted to make it so each entry got written to an Excel database, so you could also go back and search a race, then change it. Then when your whole schedule was to your liking, you'd hit "commit" and it would print the whole schedule and feature races to the right files, in the perfect format, so you wouldn't have to type out all the bracketed stuff. And if I went that complicated, I'd have error checking for those things I posted as well.

Only downside is my script is something where you enter lines of text into the command line and it tells you "success" on each print. I think the best thing would be an actual program that you could use a mouse with but I only just learnt Python to make this script over the weekend, so I'm not quite sure of where to start on that :lol:

As for jockeys and such, my game didn't work when I tried to mod the jockey names, so I'm not sure what that's like to do.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]