View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Horse Names in SO7 
Selling plater

Post Horse Names in SO7
Greetings - I just bought SO7 and I'm finding my way around...

I'm getting confused a bit by older messages that are actually about SO6 - but please let me know if this is correct or not:

You can no longer edit colt and filly names in SO7 because of the way SO7 now generates random horse names

If this is true, I'm disappointed since I wanted to replace most of the names with horse names I'm familiar with.

If it's not true, is it done exclusively by editing the two .db files?

Would someone be kind enough to point me to a thread that shows how to do the editing? I know I can edit the files in notepad or my C++ program, but I want to make sure I don't mishandle anything.

Much appreciated - thank you

Last edited by Belmonter on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:22 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Horse Names in SO7
You can edit the name of any horse in-game in SO7, including ones that are not your own, as long as you do it before the horse has run. So, if you select any horse in the yearlings list, then click on its name, you can change it to whatever you choose, as long as it's not a name that already exists in the database (in which case it won't complete the switch).

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:28 am
Selling plater

panther wrote:
You can edit the name of any horse in-game in SO7, including ones that are not your own, as long as you do it before the horse has run. So, if you select any horse in the yearlings list, then click on its name, you can change it to whatever you choose, as long as it's not a name that already exists in the database (in which case it won't complete the switch).

Thanks! I made a bunch of changes to the yearlings list in a betting mode game.

Unfortunately, it looks like the changes only apply to that one game.

Is there a way to re-use the revised yearling list or duplicate it so I don't have to re-enter all the changes a second time if I want to use them in another game?

Thank you!

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:37 am
Group 1 winner

Belmonter wrote:
panther wrote:

Thanks! I made a bunch of changes to the yearlings list in a betting mode game.

Unfortunately, it looks like the changes only apply to that one game.

Is there a way to re-use the revised yearling list or duplicate it so I don't have to re-enter all the changes a second time if I want to use them in another game?

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible in SO7. The way the name files are structured has changed from SO6. I did a lot of work on changing names in the database on SO6 myself, but cant duplicate this on SO7.

http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/vi ... =21&t=6837

In SO7 I've taken to naming 2YO as they appear as unraced on the daily racecards……….Its a hell of a lot of work though.....

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:38 pm
Selling plater

GS63 wrote:
In SO7 I've taken to naming 2YO as they appear as unraced on the daily racecards……….Its a hell of a lot of work though.....

Thanks!

I'm on to the second season now, and I see my yearlings starting to run as 2YOs. For me, that adds a lot to the game, so it was worth the effort. Too bad I can't re-use them.

I saw that names could also be changed in the "Horses" menu for some of the horses - even some that appear to have run races already. Would that cause problems?

It seems as though changes can be made from the "Horses" menu only for 2YOs who've run for the first time in the current season.

I'll look for opportunities on the daily cards as you said also, thank you.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 pm
Group 1 winner

Belmonter wrote:
GS63 wrote:

Thanks!

I'm on to the second season now, and I see my yearlings starting to run as 2YOs. For me, that adds a lot to the game, so it was worth the effort. Too bad I can't re-use them. - (GS63) - I agree, its a shame that doesn't work, but I agree that naming horses yourself adds to the game hugely and stops silly horse names like "Dobbin" or "Dave's Chippy" winning the Epsom Derby!

I saw that names could also be changed in the "Horses" menu for some of the horses - even some that appear to have run races already. Would that cause problems? (GS63) - I didn't realise that you could do that myself, I'll try it. I have no idea if that would cause issues later down the line or not...

It seems as though changes can be made from the "Horses" menu only for 2YOs who've run for the first time in the current season. (GS63) - Again, I haven't tried this (likely because I've already renamed them as an unraced 2YO)

I'll look for opportunities on the daily cards as you said also, thank you. (GS63) - no worries, thanks for your input too, I've learned something new myself!

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:56 am
Selling plater

duplicate

Last edited by Belmonter on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:49 pm
Selling plater

I decided not to change the horses that've run any races. Too much work went into this particular game to take chances with it.

I'm also trying to educate myself about racing in the UK so I can understand the game better. I knew very little about that topic besides the grass/dirt differences - and still don't know much - but the way the betting is done is extremely different. Here in New York, many people have come to rely on exotic bets to stay afloat and to make smaller bets more exciting.

Another thing would be the mixed fields of fillies and colts in the 2YO races. Of course, there's more.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]