View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 HDB Backup file changed to Internet Explorer 
Group 3 winner

Post HDB Backup file changed to Internet Explorer
Hi, I seem to have had a bit of a disaster. The other day my whole export folder deleted itself. This I back up all the time so isn't that big a deal usually. It does delete my exports about once a week nowadays though which is still not ideal. So this time, it seemed to also delete the exact same files in my backup folder. I'm not sure how this happened, other than both those files were open in the background as I'd just copied it over, and all the files were actually still highlighted.

Anyway this meant I had to just use the backup HDB file, however when I went back into the save folder to do it, it looks like this, it's changed over a lot of my files, including my backup HDB file to Internet Explorer an ow it wont work when renaming. Anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas how to fix it please?

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: HDB Backup file changed to Internet Explorer
That is an operating system problem. It looks like Windows from screenshot. But what Windows version? Windows 10?

(the instructions can vary on different versions)

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 pm
Group 3 winner

Thanks for the response. Yes it’s windows 10

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Handicapper

Ah the most convoluted of versions.

Try this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-unsetremove-a-default-app-for-file-type/15f2bf57-aa96-493a-b648-c81856af5eb3

After view file types step, you want to assess which filetype is the problem to be reset. STOP and assess the issue.

But, it looks like you have .db extension tied to Microsoft Explorer. But since I'm not sure you have extensions viewable, it may be really be the .bak extension tied to Microsoft Explorer.

So I can't tell if the file is "hdb_xxxxx.yahoo.com.db" or really "hdb_xxxxx.yahoo.com.db.bak", until you turn on viewing extensions.

But, either db or bak is set to be managed as default app by Microsoft Explorer and making Starters orders unhappy. It uses .bak for internal backups, but unset to any app. If Microsoft Explorer is tied to other .bak files not in Starters Orders and something relies on using them with that association, and you do the steps to break the default app association, you then break those other non-Starters Orders files. Fixable by setting it back to .bak though manually.

So you need to asses if you want to continue with the steps after view file type carefully. And know which one you want to reset. I don't know about other things on your PC, nor can I tell if I am seeing extensions in screenshot (but my bet would be I'm not and it's .bak).

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:10 pm
Group 3 winner

Thanks for the help Hech, much appreciated. I've made the file type visible again. I have no idea why they had changed as they've always been visible before. It has allowed me to change the .bak name to .db, and it seems to have worked, I have all my exports back. The games are also loading fine. However the HDB file is showing as default 'notepad' now, and the other files in the pic still seem to be IE as default. Do I have to change these over now or will they be ok in the long run just leaving it? I'm never overly confident playing round with this stuff, and if it wont effect my games I'd be happy to leave them, they are all working fine now it seems.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 am
Group 3 winner

I bit the bullet and done it. Thanks for all your help mate, appreciated

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 am
Handicapper

Glad it fixed things up for you. Excellent!

And yes, I'm always cautious myself when advising people to change system settings when I can't see the rest of their computer!

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]