View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Jumps game improvements 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Jumps game improvements
Mark can u look at the jumps breeding barn, I just looked at all the stallions at stud ( about 100) and only two horses had won a race. The flat breeding barn works but unless the jumps barn improves then what's the point of having it. U end up breeding between u own horses.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 am
Site Admin

There were some comprimises made in order to get jumps working and some of these may have to remain. Still, I'm sure plenty can be done. It's likely to be an ongoing process as it will take time to tweak and get things as right as possible.

When posting issues/requests for jumps also state if you are playing jumps only or flat/jumps combined as they work slightly differently.

Some minor tweaks are likely to be in the next patch and then more to follow.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:45 pm
Handicapper

I am testing combined. It is my preferred mode. While I find it "playable" as in, it works mostly and doesn't crash, I do not fine it enjoyable to play.

When looking at an individual horse, the Distance (Breeding) string under the portrait now context switches when you so, instead of being flat only. Thanks, but ...

You are still trying to be too smart in when to show the context switch button. Which often means I have to back out to main, switch then back into the screen to see it. A few of those and my hands tell me its time for another game. It also breaks your train of thought (old sorry!).

The breeding only shows flat stats for studs, or nothing. Even in SO6, if you fiddled, you could get the studs listed both ways. I have no way in SO7 of sorting sires by the jumps distance they produced, or by their own jumps record. I could in SO6, so this is going backwards.

With breeding being more important, the lack of proper stats makes breeding an order of magnitude harder than it should be. (I have a post here on why the ones you use are calculated improperly, you calculate "a" stat but not the right stat, yours is easily skewed, esp by the mass breeding the game needs to do) Breeding has stats much like baseball. It is workable in a flat only game though, since enough stats are there, even if you have to click around a lot and use a calculator to get them. But it totally kills jumps breeding as you can't even zero in on horses to do the calculator/screen flipping research on since you can't even sort them by the "bad" stats on the jumps side. Then when you do you have to go back out to main screen to swap context on the stud. Then I realize I've spent 10 minutes clicking through screens and still have no idea what studs are likely jumps producers.

I haven't played a Jumps only game, but I can only imagine how breeding for that works. You wouldn't have context swap issues. But realistically, the sires are flat racers. In real life I can tell you some of the flat lines, and ones to avoid. Game models it well enough with an unused jumps bar on flat horses. But jumps breeding without lots of infusion (would have to ttf) of flat horses looking for a new job makes no sense to me.

Perhaps in a SO8 we could link a jumps-only game to a flat game, rather than combined? The combined was a bit awkward in SO6 but workable. While I am a fan of the new breeding, it adds a layer of complexity that makes the combo game seem to fall down under its own weight now.

I'd only do breeding in the flat game - with jumps bar shown as now). I'd also only do jumping - but no flat (except NH races ofc) in the jumps game. With no breeding in jumps at all. If not a gelding or a mare, I'd send it back for breeding. Which makes sense. Not every foal off a mare that jumps gets her ability either. Since flat pays more, if it looks like a flat racer, sell/use it as one of those first! Can you ttf a horse twice like that now? And then how would the Jumps AI keep up with horse production? If the game was linked, the AI breeders could do their own mystery breeding (after peeking at jumps bars in the flat list) to produce candidates for starters at 3 and up, or snag their own retirees.

I am debating abandoning combined completely, and trying a "fake tied" flat game and jumps game using "ttf files". OF course, then how does the jumps game keep up with my breeding (as it happens elsewhere)?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm
Selling plater

Sounds like none of the things people wanted fixed in the jumps have been fixed, do the Irish horses run at Cheltenham?

If graded novice races and realistic career progression cant be implemented perhaps the whole thing needs to be rewritten.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm
Handicapper

Hi.

On Hechicera‘s question on whether you can transfer a horse twice, you can only transfer it ONCE into a new game then either retire it to stud or retire it from the game.

Personally I prefer SO6 for the way transfers work now, as it was much easier to get games started with good horses or just experiment.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 pm
Group 1 winner

Bump!

Still no real progress on people's concerns about the jumps side of the game then?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:47 am
Group 1 winner

Another error with the jumps game is that when a horse wins a maiden hurdle, they for some reason are no longer eligible for novice hurdles.

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:37 pm
Selling plater

Is any of this going to get improved? If not, it's probably pointless me buying the game.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:03 am
Handicapper

Just to echo this, love S06 and play a combined game, it’s perfect

Desperate to play S07 but all I hear is the jumps game is unplayable, with S06 working so well they need to get 7 to the same level to make the game enjoyable

It’s not all about the flat :D

Cheers

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:12 pm
Group 1 winner

I think it works as well as so6 already, the issues being raised here are all present in so6, they are currently being improved, some improvements have been made, which is really great

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 pm
Selling plater

In general would like to see more impact of left and right handed course and horses preference should be particularly noticeable in jockey mode, also jumping to left or right as well as straight jumps.

Also those dreadful sprites jumping up and down, especially with a vest on in winter, maybe okay at northern tracks but we're not as tough daaaan saarth :-D

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm
Group 1 winner

Hechicera wrote:
qwsa wrote:
In real life a lot of NH horses are bred from flat stallions.

We don't have hurdlers here, or NH (US person). We do have chases. This is why I am less bothered by the lack of progression in jumps. But, the breeding part is just as true here.

There are quite a lot of reasons here for that being the case. Not the least of which is since chasing doesn't pay here, few can afford to have a horse "on the books" eating for four years eating and training until you start using it. Sad, since some of the late maturing lines are great, and this is best for them. But regardless, for most people, bills have to get paid.

A "Jumps Only" schedule makes no sense at all to me, esp. with breeding as you point out. (It is why I play "combo" when I do jumpers). And in my case, I keep thinking: "How do you pay bills?".

For those of you that play ""Jumps Only", and, of course, know how the whole progression and NH work over there, what does the game's "Jumps Only" provide that the "Combined" schedule does not? Is it just more jumps races? Why do you chose that mode over "Combined"?

I prefer Jumps to flat racing in real life as in the game I prefer jumps I do play flat too but I don't play Combined because its the way the game is designed The flat works like it does in a flat only game but Sadly the jumps doesn't work well in the combined (SO6) I am talking about the Summer Juvenile (3YO) Hurdles which start in June are avoided of Runners and also the Novices Hurdlers and you get very small fields and a lot of Voided Races has the game works with filling up Flat races with runners first.

Gray

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Handicapper

Interesting. I made another try at starting a combo game again.

The breeding context display switched well, that was great. So I sorted out my stable and started entering horses, and bailed again on combo. I got further. :)

The bug I mentioned in my non-critical thread is still there but .. worse?

The select jockey and apprentice works very badly with combo games. The list of jockeys names switches fine with the context button, the wonkiness is when you go to hire. Click the "APPRENTICES" button. The issue is the apprentices panel.

I can hire a jumps apprentice as my jockey (that fires my real jockey - flat or otherwise) in the flat tab. For some reason jumps apprentices are "jockeys" on the bottom of the flat apprentices.

If I go to jumps context, then the flat apprentices become the "jockeys", and I could hire a flat apprentice as my jumps jockey:

There is one, and only one, jumps apprentice who is hireable as an apprentice. Sadly, he is also not very good:

So I can go back and hire a real apprentice and have dual apprentices:

Or I could have a very bad jumps apprentice, who was really an apprentice and hire a flat apprentice as my jumps jockey.

It would be nice it it wasn't this way. It would also be super nice, and an improvement on SO6 if we could have two sets: one jockey and one apprentice each for flat/jumps.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:29 am
Selling plater

How’s the jumps game playing now?

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 am
Site Admin

Quote:
The select jockey and apprentice works very badly with combo games.

Please try 0.112. There were some major issues with this screen in combo games.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next