View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Will there be more optimisation for 1080p resolution? 
Handicapper

Post Will there be more optimisation for 1080p resolution?
I'm going to start this by saying that I have a 4K gaming laptop that I bought last year. A windowed mode of 720p looks like a business card if I leave my resolution on the recommended 4K. Since I bought my laptop, gaming laptops with a similar screen have dropped almost $1000 in price. Most displays you can buy for desktop computers are moving towards 4K or at the very least 120Hz. If I try to select 4K or any resolution that's a compromise between the 720p and 1080p, everything goes a little blurry, which I assumed would happen because of it not being one of the starred resolutions.

So I find it, well, actually kind of worrying that it's 2019 and this game is being developed to have a default and recommended resolution of 720p, because to me that sounds like the game hasn't even caught up to the current standard and that it's not being future-proofed against further improvements.

I know the game supports VR and the recommended system requirements from Oculus is an Nvidia GTX 1060, which is more than capable of running a 4K screen. It's what I have. The game is also moving towards needing higher hardware to support the generations of bloodlines information it will have to keep for older saves and the 3D races.

And because the game isn't optimised for 1080p, the font is really painfully small. A lot of the buttons are too thin - in the training tab, the "lead horse", "information", "gallop horse" and "enter races" buttons are smaller than the cursor itself. The hit boxes in the Enter Races screen for the drop down Declarations menu and Remove Horse are so close it's easy to accidentally hit the other one. And there's white space above the Remove Horse button, so it could be moved even just 5mm upwards to avoid that.

I know there's been a lot of work on the UI already in the advancement to SO7 and trust me, I like them a lot. Particularly the new black background in the racetrack screen instead of the blue from before - it was always a bit too much noise for me when I tried out SO6 :lol:

As a side note that's connected, there are a few selection circles, such as the "include in gallops" and "enter horse in future race" (in the Diary page), that are a light blue until you select them and then a slightly darker shade when you've selected them. This is a little hard to see, and I'm sure anyone with even mild colour-blindness would struggle with it. Could these be changed to be different colours instead of just different shades, like the training intensity and select mare for breeding buttons are?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]