View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 C'mon England....catch up :-) 
Group 1 winner

Post C'mon England....catch up :-)
https://www.racing.com/news/2019-08-09/ ... bp9b017XeY

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:28 am
Group 2 winner

Post Re: C'mon England....catch up :-)
It's not just England, it's Ireland and France as well.
There are lots of talented female jockeys here, but whilst I am sure that sexism plays a large part, the major problem, especially in England and Ireland, is the monopoly of opportunity that the big outfits have.
The big races are monopolised by Coolmore, Godolphin and Juddmonte and if you are not riding for them then top end opportunities are very limited. This is not a criticism of them, they pick who they believe to be the best, but it means that there are just 5 or 6 jockeys that get all the best rides.
If sexism had been less rife 30 years ago then the racing climate would have allowed much more opportunity.

Conversely though, there have been huge breakthroughs in jump racing in recent years. The point to point scene has always had masses of female riders competing on an equal basis and that is now filtering through to the professional game.
It must be said though that all of the recent really successful female jump jockeys come from top racing families with really good connections. And we all know that "who you know" is relevant in all aspects of society.
Before anyone has a go, I am not questioning their ability, they are top class, but there are undoubtedly equally talented female jockeys out there struggling to make a go of it due to the lack of opportunity.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 am
Group 1 winner

The US jockey ranks are dominated by latin american riders. They represent about 80% of the jockeys it seems. 99.9% of those jockeys are male. I've always wondered why there are virtually no female latin american jockeys.

Jamie Kah is a tremendous jockey. So is Linda Meech. Australia leads the way in female jockeys.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 am
Group 1 winner

Pommard wrote:
It's not just England, it's Ireland and France as well.
There are lots of talented female jockeys here, but whilst I am sure that sexism plays a large part, the major problem, especially in England and Ireland, is the monopoly of opportunity that the big outfits have.
The big races are monopolised by Coolmore, Godolphin and Juddmonte and if you are not riding for them then top end opportunities are very limited. This is not a criticism of them, they pick who they believe to be the best, but it means that there are just 5 or 6 jockeys that get all the best rides.
If sexism had been less rife 30 years ago then the racing climate would have allowed much more opportunity.

Conversely though, there have been huge breakthroughs in jump racing in recent years. The point to point scene has always had masses of female riders competing on an equal basis and that is now filtering through to the professional game.
It must be said though that all of the recent really successful female jump jockeys come from top racing families with really good connections. And we all know that "who you know" is relevant in all aspects of society.
Before anyone has a go, I am not questioning their ability, they are top class, but there are undoubtedly equally talented female jockeys out there struggling to make a go of it due to the lack of opportunity.

Can't see why anyone would have a go - your reply has been informative as to the situation in GB and Europe.
In Australia - female jockeys started to have an impact in the early 1980s and has been a slow build from there with a lot of hard yards done and respect earnt along the journey.
As stated in the article - if they gave 3kg allowances to senior female jockeys in Australia - it would be mayhem because we have a lot of top level female riders who get a ton of rides as it is.
I'd safely say Australia is within 5 to 10 years of having a fairly even playing field for female/male jockeys where talent will dictate who gets the ride and not a perception of women being weaker riders.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
The US jockey ranks are dominated by latin american riders. They represent about 80% of the jockeys it seems. 99.9% of those jockeys are male. I've always wondered why there are virtually no female latin american jockeys.

Jamie Kah is a tremendous jockey. So is Linda Meech. Australia leads the way in female jockeys.

We do have a lot of very good female jockeys - past and present.

Kayla Stra - who started her career in my home state of South Australia, absolutely blitzed the scene over here before she moved to America. If she stayed in Australia she would have ridden in and won some very important and famous races.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:33 am
Group 3 winner

SiriusChill wrote:

I think the US had the best female jockey ever, If she hadn't retired because she wanted to have a family she would have been a superstar. Rosie is in a class by herself. In her 3 years she made the big time she won 13 group 1 and 19 group 2 and 50 group races in that 3 year period.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]