View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stud Gamebreds 
Group 1 winner

Post Stud Gamebreds
Has anyone else noticed that every now and again the game throws up an Uber stud colt but it only stays in the barn for one year? I have just had it happen again for about the third time, an unbeaten 5yo landed in the barn with 12 g1’s to his name and after a year he is expired.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:25 pm
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Stud Gamebreds
Yes I've seen this a couple of times.
I have often found that the "uber" studs dont often produce "uber" foals.

The best stud i found was a hardly raced low rated stallion.
He had won all his few races, a handful of G2's.
Luckily he stuck around until he died from exhaustion (my fault). :lol:
More than uber studs that only stay one season, i seem to see really good studs that are almost unraced.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:29 am
Group 1 winner

you have to constantly use gamebred sires and yes have found some pretty amazing ones

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

Jango wrote:
Yes I've seen this a couple of times.
I have often found that the "uber" studs dont often produce "uber" foals.

The best stud i found was a hardly raced low rated stallion.
He had won all his few races, a handful of G2's.
Luckily he stuck around until he died from exhaustion (my fault). :lol:
More than uber studs that only stay one season, i seem to see really good studs that are almost unraced.

I'm with this 100%, I've found that the best breeders tend to be the foreign horses who've had about 5 runs an won 3-5 of them. They're always my first port of call for breeding. I obviously look for the massive multiple group1 winners but I would use the other more. I don't limit to foreign horses, but they are the ones who usually only run a few times.

I have a sprinter that is currently in all my lines nearly, he was one of those horses, think it was Irish an had won 5 from 7. It also got me my 100% potential. My stayers on the other hand did come from a 1m4 horse with about 12 group1s in the UK.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm
Group 1 winner

My flat breeding has gone to pot, i seem to have breed out my 100% for 90-95%. Is a real struggle right now

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
My flat breeding has gone to pot, i seem to have breed out my 100% for 90-95%. Is a real struggle right now

Lucky u i've not got any 100 percent breds :lol: I'm noticing the same, I had 80 mares in my barn but i'm retiring more than going in my barn and i'm down to 40 now and still going down and I could get to a stage where I run out of mares. My horses potential seems to be slipping as well. I'm having more fun breeding jump horses than flat but i'm still struggling to breed anything under 3 miles. It's taking me a week to finish a season.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 pm
Group 1 winner

Progress is very slow for me too in both versions, jumps especially as the aging is more realistic. The flat is a slog and not an enjoyable one, I find myself keeping a load of horses who really don’t produce much just on the off chance they may have some abilities I cannot determine and that may only be exposed in trials.

What we need I think is some more details on the horses themselves something like a stats bar maybe so it is not all just blind luck, and maybe a mechanism to export and import horses between games.

Perhaps we should petition Mark, thoughts? ;)

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 pm
Group 2 winner

I am really enjoying this now as there is a lot more realism in places. I am running 2 combined seasons but on one I am concentrating on the flat and only running the odd jumper to get through the winter and in the other I am doing the opposite. This seems better than running flat only or NH only as you get abetter spread of sires and mares. I am only 15 seasons in but am already producing some full pot horses. I also have my first 180 rated chaser (I never had one at all in SO6)

Some of the things I am noticing are that precocious 2yo horses are not training on as 3yo, champion 3yo horses often just stop winning at 4 and some flat horses are late developers coming into their own at 4 and 5, rather like some of those horses Michael Stoute does so well with. This game really rewards patience now and a knowledge of real racing. The same with jumpers, my top chaser couldn't win a race over hurdles and I was going to retire her to stud as her bars were good but I decided to run her over fences. This is where watching the races helped because she jumped much quicker over the fences than the others, it was almost a different animation and she seemed to speed up in the air. Hasn't lost a single chase yet but didn't win the first until she was 7.

Also with the breeding I have noticed that you have to look at the types of horses some sires are getting. Some seem to constantly produce horses that are good at 2 but not much use after and others produce late maturing horses. There is a lot of info and it takes time now. I think the days of mini season schedules and powering through are probably over. I also think that the league will be wide open now on the flat as 2 and 3yo horses are very hit and miss. I expect to see more people uploading older horses on the flat.

If another bar was to be made available I would suggest the maturing one would be the best as it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between a horse that may be a late developer and one that is just not very good.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

I think we should leave it as it is, it's the same for all and keeping one system all the way through is the best way to go. It's tough for everyone and even if a newbie was to start now or in the future they would still have a chance to get a good horse unlike the last game.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Group 1 winner

My NH horses consistently win nothing at graded level until they are 7/8. Though I usually also dominate the novice races at 5/6. And I absolutely have the flat problem between years where multi G1 winning 2yo turns into a donkey and often has no progression after with similar having a great 3yo and then vanishing off the face of the earth. I find this a bit stupid to be honest, I may just bin the flat side of the game, I get little enjoyment from it.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm
Group 3 winner

ghosty wrote:
I think we should leave it as it is, it's the same for all and keeping one system all the way through is the best way to go. It's tough for everyone and even if a newbie was to start now or in the future they would still have a chance to get a good horse unlike the last game.

I agree, in fact i would even suggest hiding ALL stat bars.
I think there may still be some "Potential" addiction. I seem to remember Mark commenting somewhere that the Potential attribute had been nerfed a bit.
Sure, having the highest Potential possible cant be bad, but chasing 100% potential does not guarantee a great horse.

I used to grind out 3 SO6 seasons in a day, now i'm pushing to complete one a week.
Apart from the obvious challenges of no stats and transfers i think there are a couple of new challenges.

The breeding model, at least from what i saw in SO7 before i switched to League breeding rarely produced a great horse. It seemed to me to have a 20% chance of returning a stat within the range of the parents, and more often a drop, and i dont think i ever saw a mutant rise above the parent range.
I know Mark "tweaked" the breeding model for the league to be more "consistent", but i wonder by how much.

Then there is the "statistical smoothing" effect. As you cross breed your good horses the results will mostly "even out" any high stats. So you will get "better" horses, but not "great" ones.
Without TTF abuse its a tough task to avoid this.
As Paul has suggested, the only cure is to constantly breed with game studs outside of your own stable.

I would advise a newbie to build up some cash and start buying performing horses at auctions and trial them, they keep beating my best stable bred horses.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 am
Group 2 winner

I love the way it is at the moment, it's very tough to fully work out the breeding, incredibly frustrating at the length of time a season takes. But isn't that the way it's meant to be. The comment about quality 2yo's disappearing at 3 an 3yo's not progressing to 4, that's realistic. This is what happens in real life racing.

I still think the 100% is key in the long run, and after 33 seasons, I'm only just getting there with this, however it is meaning |I have 130 horses in the stable just for flat at all times so seasons taking an age now. however I don't think there'll be a point in this league, like in SO6 where trainers are pretty much maxing out horses, and it becomes just about what style of race they prefer. And a few trainers clearing up.

I love that you have to constantly use the gamebred stallions, this is what will keep it competitive. What I do is make sure my second string stallions from the CK are as cheap to breed with as possible. Usually everything in my stud is £500 to breed with. I then buy every horse I see bred from them at the start of the season, and throughout the season, but the start of the season is when you see most. I'm getting my top CK horses bred into the game mares all the time now, an being able to buy back quite a few of them, I've already improved my CK horses a fair bit doing this.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am
Group 3 winner

I don't think hiding all the bars is the way forward, us league players would have a advantage because we got a feel for the game but newbies would be all at sea and I think it would put people of from playing it, I think we've found a middle ground for everyone. The breeding and racing feel more realistic.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Group 1 winner

I am breeding maybe 70/30 gamebred in both my games, maybe less on the NH as my horses two gens in tend to be better. My flat experience is extreme I have 2yo’s go unbeaten, win group races usually one or two comfortably and then as 3yo they go now where, does not matter what distances I try they basically finish last in everything and same at 4yo, the 3yo’s who are good tend to do the same in reverse. If flat racing is this truly this random I am glad I don’t follow it. I’ll stick to the NH.

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek by the way.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 pm
Group 3 winner

kniesh wrote:
What I do is make sure my second string stallions from the CK are as cheap to breed with as possible. Usually everything in my stud is £500 to breed with. I then buy every horse I see bred from them at the start of the season, and throughout the season, but the start of the season is when you see most. I'm getting my top CK horses bred into the game mares all the time now, an being able to buy back quite a few of them, I've already improved my CK horses a fair bit doing this.

This is genius!

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next