View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hungry Winner 
Selling plater

Post Hungry Winner
Every time a start a new SO save, planning to focus on sprints and the classics, I invariably navigate towards stayers - I love them! The Melbourne Cup for me is the highlight every year at the end of a long season, and I always have it in the back of my mind when breeding and bringing along horses in my stable. Most of all I'm mindful of getting their rating too high without a tilt.

Generally I start to race my stayers as 3 year olds, winning a few 1m6f and 2m handicaps, getting their rating to the 85-95 region before having a crack. In this save, I'd had a few places, but nothing close to winning, but when a new 2 year old (aptly named by the game, Hungry Winner) came from my breeding ground, he looked a quality prospect.

I couldn't actually wait to race him, so threw him into a couple of 1m2f races as a 2yo, after running green and getting third place in his first race, he won his second outing by 1.5l - again running green! I knew I might have something special.

Despite max stamina, I couldn't resist trying him at a few big races. He finished 2nd in the Irish Derby, before a couple of good runs in the March Stakes and the St Leger. I decided to pit him against the older horses in the BC Long Distance Cup at Ascot, and he hacked in by 5l. I was chuffed to say the least, but I knew now, with a rating of 118 as a 3yo, my Melbourne Cup chance had gone.

Hungry Winner had other ideas though, carrying 9 12 to win all out - superstar.

He's since managed a 2nd place in the following year's Melbourne Cup, and has a rivalry with another horse - they invariably finish 1st and 2nd in all staying races.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:03 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Hungry Winner
I hope you’re playing a jumps game too as he’ll be a hell of a jumper

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:23 pm
Selling plater

As it happens I've just started a jumps game. I might import him in

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:24 pm
Handicapper

Very nice! I'm a bit of a sucker for stayers too.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:31 pm
Selling plater

What an absolute superstar Sire he's turned out to be too! Five Group 1 winners (13 wins between them) with an AEI 4.94.

Hungry Dapper being his best offspring, with two Melbourne Cup wins (and two second places), along with two Ascot Gold Cups and a Prix Du Cadran. Looking forward to the next generation!

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 am
Handicapper

Nice when a plan all comes together. Great horse, Sire and offspring mate.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:41 am
Selling plater

I've got a bit of a stayer dynasty now. What's upsetting about Hungry Dappers two second places in the Melbourne Cup was that he was beaten by my own, better weighted, horses. He could have won four!

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 pm
Selling plater

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:05 pm
Handicapper

bigmattp wrote:
I've got a bit of a stayer dynasty now. What's upsetting about Hungry Dappers two second places in the Melbourne Cup was that he was beaten by my own, better weighted, horses. He could have won four!

The disadvantage or some say advantage of a handicapped Group race but at least the trophy stayed in within your stable.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]