View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Season 2 Monsters 
Selling plater

Post Re: Season 2 Monsters
leonvr wrote:
I'm not sure why the stats where removed wasn't involved. It's the ttf file I hated. I agree you have to play the game now reading race comments, analysing breeding stats etc but I find that more enjoyable than just grinding through seasons to get league horses. You can't just go an visible stats. Maxing the speed and acceleration bar will mean you get rid of all your front runners for example. The only bar that really matters is potential. An only because full potential is when the horse is at their best. You can retire them when potential starts to drop. Although you don't want your speed or acceleration below 50% The only option now is to trial every season and watch lots of races in game. You can tab them but for NH you need to jockey cam to see how your horses jump. Lots of fast jumps is ideal. The comment jumped well is what you need to look for in race comments. It is the only way to see how the horses run and whether they will enhance your breeding. AI horses that run in a style you like need to be followed etc.

Horses produce good ones even when they old. Some of my best have come from old stallions and mares, possibly because by then I have figured out what works. Some horses can't breed up in distance some can't breed down. For example some 10f mares produce duds with every stallion over 12f and produce good ones with stallions a mile and under. Yes deciding on breeding pairs takes a while but it is the only way to improve your horses. Throwing everything at a multiple G1 stallion might get you a lucky foal but it is not a desired way to improve your stock when the breeding stats are all there for you to use.

It doesn't have to take that long. I'm just playing the game normally about a season a week. Gi Joe season 25 in my game and Dragon Keeper about season 35 are both coming back and are both still competive in trials winning often. Land of Marvels is from the first season after league uploads closed and she is still a wonder horse in my trials. Loads of mine from last season are still competitive as well but can't bring them back as they are the same age. Good horses stand out and stay around longer. You don't have to play 78 seasons to be competitive. I have improved mine slightly and changed the run style of some of mine. Using UG lines to get more front runners for example

Are you saying that a horse who was a monster over 12f whilst racing, but breeding indicator says 8f, should be bred with mares with the same indicator? I wasn't sure if the indicator's were wrong, became sometimes it seems quite far out.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 am
Selling plater

leonvr wrote:
HollieP wrote:
As a newbie im finding breeding difficult, bordering on depressing.

Selling 50+ horses a year, all bred from horses with good potential, speed and crusing bars that won multiple G1's isn't the one. All are awul in the test races. I have a game stallion with 200 G1 winners, who can't improve my horses.

I get what people are saying, but you're still looking at those with the most time and to an extent skill breeding the best horses. I try to pick up what people say on here, but personally im finding it too difficult to make any progress in 2038.

Breed with the horses that trial well in the CK even if they have won no group races and you will make progress. All my best sprinters came from 2 mares that never won a race in the game but trialed very well. You need to trial every season. Export your horses around August. If you don't you could go backwards by breeding with multipe G1 horses who produce nothing. If a stallion produces horses that trial well send them loads of mares. If they don't reduce the mares. Don't get fixated on 20 plus G1 horses you may overlook gems who have only won around 4 or 5 g1s. Look at stallions who are producing good horses even if they old and have never won a group race themselves. One of my best horses came from a stallion who only won 1 g1 race but he was lightly raced and had excuses in the others. Also he produced loads of G1 horses even though he didn't win many himself

Ok thanks. You have told me some of this before, and possibly I have become fixated with game horses who look great.

Was very dissappointed with the game stallion who produced 200 G1 winners though, he didn't improve my lines at all.

(BTW i only want to win a modest handicap or two, Im not expecting "monsters" having only found this game a few weeks ago.)

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 am
Group 1 winner

HollieP wrote:

Selling 50+ horses a year, all bred from horses with good potential, speed and crusing bars that won multiple G1's isn't the one. All are awul in the test races. I have a game stallion with 200 G1 winners, who can't improve my horses.

I get what people are saying, but you're still looking at those with the most time and to an extent skill breeding the best horses. I try to pick up what people say on here, but personally im finding it too difficult to make any progress in 2038.

Hi HollieP
Starting out from the beginning and getting those baseline breeding pairings is crucial for progressing in the CK for league purposes. Takes a lot of time n effort and you must not get attached to the in game multiple G1 winners which turn out to be duds in the CK. I've had horses who didn't win a single race in the game but turned out to be very good in my trails. We all play the game slightly different but there is a fundamental approach in keeping good stock going and that's letting your horses breed with AI game mares. Like the guys said above you have to follow the races your horses run in and keep notes on running styles, this varies a lot over jumps more so than the flat. You can actually change a horses running style with the right instructions and after racing them often enough they adapt to that style of running, this must be a hidden trait. I've had horses sitting to far off the pace and coming with a late run which wasn't working. So I set them to even pace or the challenge early which as worked on a lot of my hold up horses. Challenge early instruction can make a average CK horse turn into a winning one. It doesn't happen all the time but it definitely works on some of them.

Are you playing a flat only or a combined game?

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 am
Group 1 winner

HollieP wrote:
leonvr wrote:
I'm not sure why the stats where removed wasn't involved. It's the ttf file I hated. I agree you have to play the game now reading race comments, analysing breeding stats etc but I find that more enjoyable than just grinding through seasons to get league horses. You can't just go an visible stats. Maxing the speed and acceleration bar will mean you get rid of all your front runners for example. The only bar that really matters is potential. An only because full potential is when the horse is at their best. You can retire them when potential starts to drop. Although you don't want your speed or acceleration below 50% The only option now is to trial every season and watch lots of races in game. You can tab them but for NH you need to jockey cam to see how your horses jump. Lots of fast jumps is ideal. The comment jumped well is what you need to look for in race comments. It is the only way to see how the horses run and whether they will enhance your breeding. AI horses that run in a style you like need to be followed etc.

Horses produce good ones even when they old. Some of my best have come from old stallions and mares, possibly because by then I have figured out what works. Some horses can't breed up in distance some can't breed down. For example some 10f mares produce duds with every stallion over 12f and produce good ones with stallions a mile and under. Yes deciding on breeding pairs takes a while but it is the only way to improve your horses. Throwing everything at a multiple G1 stallion might get you a lucky foal but it is not a desired way to improve your stock when the breeding stats are all there for you to use.

It doesn't have to take that long. I'm just playing the game normally about a season a week. Gi Joe season 25 in my game and Dragon Keeper about season 35 are both coming back and are both still competive in trials winning often. Land of Marvels is from the first season after league uploads closed and she is still a wonder horse in my trials. Loads of mine from last season are still competitive as well but can't bring them back as they are the same age. Good horses stand out and stay around longer. You don't have to play 78 seasons to be competitive. I have improved mine slightly and changed the run style of some of mine. Using UG lines to get more front runners for example

Are you saying that a horse who was a monster over 12f whilst racing, but breeding indicator says 8f, should be bred with mares with the same indicator? I wasn't sure if the indicator's were wrong, became sometimes it seems quite far out.

The distance indicator can throw you off along with the stamina bar on what actually is the correct distance for your horses.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am
Group 1 winner

HollieP wrote:
leonvr wrote:
HollieP wrote:

Breed with the horses that trial well in the CK even if they have won no group races and you will make progress. All my best sprinters came from 2 mares that never won a race in the game but trialed very well. You need to trial every season. Export your horses around August. If you don't you could go backwards by breeding with multipe G1 horses who produce nothing. If a stallion produces horses that trial well send them loads of mares. If they don't reduce the mares. Don't get fixated on 20 plus G1 horses you may overlook gems who have only won around 4 or 5 g1s. Look at stallions who are producing good horses even if they old and have never won a group race themselves. One of my best horses came from a stallion who only won 1 g1 race but he was lightly raced and had excuses in the others. Also he produced loads of G1 horses even though he didn't win many himself

Ok thanks. You have told me some of this before, and possibly I have become fixated with game horses who look great.

Was very dissappointed with the game stallion who produced 200 G1 winners though, he didn't improve my lines at all.

(BTW i only want to win a modest handicap or two, Im not expecting "monsters" having only found this game a few weeks ago.)

Trial every season and make sure you breed with the best trialers. It may be that the g1 horse doesn't produce horses that trial well. If that's the case breed the good game offspring with good trailers to improve yours. Some horses don't breed well up or down in distance. Have a look at his offspring and the dam of the offspring to see if you can try mimic the breeding pair by distance. It may take a few goes but may be worth it.

Go to all auctions and buy all G1 winning mares to see if you get a wonder mare that produces loads of good horses. It does happen. I'm sure you will win a handicap and more than one in the league

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:17 am
Handicapper

HollieP wrote:

If you can see the cruising burst bar, you are not playing in league mode and would need to start a new game in "league mode".

All your horses cannot be awful, you must have horses that consistently win your trials. Breed those with good game bred horses to improve them. If you have entered these league trials, you should know that most of those entered are the top horses of the top trainers, in the actual league there will be lessor trainers and lessor horses to race against.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:21 am
Selling plater

Hemz wrote:
HollieP wrote:

Hi HollieP
Starting out from the beginning and getting those baseline breeding pairings is crucial for progressing in the CK for league purposes. Takes a lot of time n effort and you must not get attached to the in game multiple G1 winners which turn out to be duds in the CK. I've had horses who didn't win a single race in the game but turned out to be very good in my trails. We all play the game slightly different but there is a fundamental approach in keeping good stock going and that's letting your horses breed with AI game mares. Like the guys said above you have to follow the races your horses run in and keep notes on running styles, this varies a lot over jumps more so than the flat. You can actually change a horses running style with the right instructions and after racing them often enough they adapt to that style of running, this must be a hidden trait. I've had horses sitting to far off the pace and coming with a late run which wasn't working. So I set them to even pace or the challenge early which as worked on a lot of my hold up horses. Challenge early instruction can make a average CK horse turn into a winning one. It doesn't happen all the time but it definitely works on some of them.

Are you playing a flat only or a combined game?

Hi Hemz thanks. I have to accept I am new to the game and therefore it will be difficult to begin for sure. I had a big leap in breeding early on and maybe I did find a game horse who improved my lines considerably and its hard to impove again so quickly.

I will try to replicate all of what has been said today and see where it takes me. Thanks.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:22 am
Selling plater

Dhughes wrote:
HollieP wrote:

If you can see the cruising burst bar, you are not playing in league mode and would need to start a new game in "league mode".

All your horses cannot be awful, you must have horses that consistently win your trials. Breed those with good game bred horses to improve them. If you have entered these league trials, you should know that most of those entered are the top horses of the top trainers, in the actual league there will be lessor trainers and lessor horses to race against.

Sorry i meant acceleration. Im in league mode. Thanks for checking, could have been a nightmare haha

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 am
Handicapper

One user is saying anyone can have league quality horses within 11 seasons with luck, another is saying they need to see hidden stats to breed league quality horses. So we have a bit a contradiction here.

As a relative newcomer myself, I found the hidden stats confusing and gave a huge advantage to experienced players. I find it's much easier to trial your horses to see how good they really are.

I take the visible stats as indicators based on breeding, you have to trial the horses to see how good they are, and breed with the good ones.

Not everyone can have a Galileo in the barn, so there is luck involved in real life. It would not be good knowing who is going to win a race by looking solely at their hidden stats.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:34 am
Group 1 winner

Dhughes wrote:
One user is saying anyone can have league quality horses within 11 seasons with luck, another is saying they need to see hidden stats to breed league quality horses. So we have a bit a contradiction here.

As a relative newcomer myself, I found the hidden stats confusing and gave a huge advantage to experienced players. I find it's much easier to trial your horses to see how good they really are.

I take the visible stats as indicators based on breeding, you have to trial the horses to see how good they are, and breed with the good ones.

Not everyone can have a Galileo in the barn, so there is luck involved in real life. It would not be good knowing who is going to win a race by looking solely at their hidden stats.

I do believe it's possible to get league quality horses albeit not Group class or maybe around 10+ season in, with the right baselines in place. Also I don't believe you need the hidden stats to get league quality. It's all down to exporting and trailing from the get go and careful selections of pairings (CK form is paramount no matter how many G1's they have won in the game, it means absolutely nothing).
Yes in the beginning you need that little bit of LUCK or dropping on a great stallion to really kick start and advance your lines from then on. The skill is then to keep on making progress generation after generations and the only way this can keep going is sending your stallions to AI mares and some other little observations.
My games have really slowed down because I watch much more races with my horses now and sometimes you get game breed horses beating your own and these are the ones you have to follow and keep an eye on. They don't work all the time, but once they enter the breeding barn try some of your mares and at times you'll find improvements with these game horses.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:05 pm
Group 3 winner

Dhughes wrote:
another is saying they need to see hidden stats to breed league quality horses. So we have a bit a contradiction here.

Who said that?

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:21 pm
Group 3 winner

Jango wrote:
Dhughes wrote:
another is saying they need to see hidden stats to breed league quality horses. So we have a bit a contradiction here.

Who said that?

Come on Dan, prove you are not trying to deliberately twist my words and doing a great job of making yourself look like a pathetic troll.

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:09 am
Group 1 winner

Hmm, for once let’s just make a leap of faith, let’s assume I have some clue about training and breeding league horses for this game, let’s assume I do all the micro management faff in spades and likely due to manual training then some, let’s also assume I had some success last go around and could reasonably expect to have a good standard of jumps horses available and let’s also assume my posts are not moans, whinges or desperate pleas for help as I can hardly enter a race without the tff to hold my hand, let’s assume there just reflections or my musing from my play experiences.

So against all that I have horses who have been painstakingly prepared from a UK stable some 70 seasons old being challenged and beaten by horses randomly assembled by chance in only a handful of seasons. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this picture?

Hopefully this is all just a trial blip and that when I take them into my full trials or the exhibitions they fall away. There is even one point here I am going to work into my breeding cycles as it makes complete sense to me, I am just beginning to think we maybe have taken a backward step in an effort to move the league forward.

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:00 pm
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
So against all that I have horses who have been painstakingly prepared from a UK stable some 70 seasons old being challenged and beaten by horses randomly assembled by chance in only a handful of seasons. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this picture?

Hopefully this is all just a trial blip and that when I take them into my full trials or the exhibitions they fall away. There is even one point here I am going to work into my breeding cycles as it makes complete sense to me, I am just beginning to think we maybe have taken a backward step in an effort to move the league forward.

Wasn't party to the discussions but wasn't the idea that newcomers could join the league and be relatively competitive without playing 70 seasons to get there?

Last season some users complained about a couple of users dominating the league, saying that they have the gene and there was no chance of anyone catching them. Doesn't this show that everyone can go backwards? Horses cannot get better indefinitely, eventually you will hit a brick wall, you just have to go with the best you can and maybe more good ones will pop up in the future.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Group 1 winner

It does indeed and to an extent this was one of the motivating factors for the change. And I would also like to see more people winning league races generally, the league can only be healthier for it, and this would also support this outcome if the horses turn out to be genuine.

I remember how I used to breed in SO6 and the time it would take to first find that one missing stat, usually in a horse so bad you would not ever look at them, and the watching race method won’t get them either as we’re talking sellers and I doubt anyone is watching every single race in SO7. Then you had to gradually weed that into your established lines, it could take years of breeding only to move one bar by 5%. No one is going to have horses like that anymore, no one will be that lucky without that stats to view so it is entirely possible we will all hit a wall at a very similar level based on an average level stat of game horses created and from game to game you may find one at the top of these averages early on or never at all, and just as likely you will miss them when or if they arrive.

I also think once your in a game your stock is largely fixed, the same horses recycle over and over and even if these are your own horses your still accessing the same sort of stock. I genuinely believe my Australian flat game does not have any decent CK performers, there are wholes lines that look nice on paper and in game but cannot trial worth a damm and these are the horses everything breeds with, that yearly new horse list is not long and easy to check nothing outside of those lines arrives and generation after generation they trial badly. It is why I theorised a new game was likely the best way to come up with something new and my starting some new games over and over including this Irish jumps game, was to test this. Just my luck it was not the flat game I was looking for at the time. I only started another jump game to see if I could find some 2m hurdlers and of course the good horses are mostly chasers :)

I think my concern stems from the old game progression path maybe being lost, you used to really have to earn it, if we all hit a wall and a little slice of luck with a smigen of best practise can put you right in contention in no time at all, it feels maybe we have gone too far the other way.

I also call this out as I don’t want people to lose heart in dud games and be prepared to start new ones. With what we have to work with now potential is really the only thing to pay attention too, I would literally kill for a full potential flat colt, I have hundreds of jumpers that go now in both games. If I could bring myself to play combined and take on the added faff of having to train them both ways it would be the best way to get both I think.

Course I may just be a rubbish trainer who has now been left behind by the resident masters, time will tell. I am mostly just curious about what others are finding since this is new for us all.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next