View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 farcical! 
Selling plater

Post Re: farcical!
I hope there is another season, even with the small flaws its all a bit of fun - the key is to not take it too seriously!

I will help with comms next season (and probably even in a couple of weeks when i go on paternity leave) if someone gives me the run down of what software I need and the process.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:56 pm
Group 1 winner

basilthedog89 wrote:
I hope there is another season, even with the small flaws its all a bit of fun - the key is to not take it too seriously!

I will help with comms next season (and probably even in a couple of weeks when i go on paternity leave) if someone gives me the run down of what software I need and the process.

It's easy enough - down load Audacity, which is free and you need a mic and access to dropbox.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:47 am
Group 2 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
jalupen wrote:
3 h/capp wins on day 3 only to see 2 of them raised 20lb the other 16lb it just gets better and better!if they win 1 more they'll be rated in the 130's

Stay out of the foreign races and if you must race in them don't win by a lot. I had a 2yo beat the worst field ever at 0-70 level and her rating went from 62 to 103.

or...

Mark could address immediately the obvious issue with ratings achieved in foreign races. This problem happens with the race kit and in-game.

the foreign handicaps I manually adjust every week, I just sometimes don't get a chance until Thursday morning sorry. They are all done this week though, and the 20lb rise was adjusted to about 8 I think. I think a Sirius horse got raised 40lb for an 8l win in one of them.

I think next season we need to look to try an eradicate all none essential foreign handicaps from the game, they're just creating work. Replace them on a British track.

I agree about the combined, I was very close to quitting the whole thing recently myself as I had dedicated so much time to flat only games. All my flat stable currently are from those flat only games. I still think it's doable to be competitive. My sprinters are very competitive as younger horses, my 10f horses are, if I hadn't have bred a load of even pace horses that run 10 wide because of it. And my 1m6 horses are definitely competitive, however I agree it's much more of a struggle to keep lines going, or find the lines in the first place. And there's definitely no 100% potential horses in flat games anymore.

I've recently started again completely. I have just started a combined as having a jumps stable was always the plan, but I'm hoping eventually this will be the only game I have to play. It's only a few weeks old (although showing good signs). The reason I nearly quit was I started that game, an within 2 seasons I found a game horse miler at 7 that won all my 1m trials from my flat only games. I think it's more than a bit annoying if you started a flat only game, and now after all that work you find out it's much easier another way. Anyone looking to start the league needs to know this before starting, it needs to be very open a combined game is much easier.

I'll be keeping a couple of my flat games that seem to be doing well in the league, but concentrating more on the new mixed one for a while. I fancy it's set me back a few seasons in the league though where I just won't be as competitive as I'd hoped, which is a little annoying

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:05 am
Group 1 winner

Leon and i said last season that the 7yo horse in the combined was better than anything on the flat it wasn't secret. Sinn Script enter my old game early in season 7 and me being a NH trainer took it Jumping after he lost the Derby has a 3yo. He wasn't the best jumper in my game but during the trials he was the best horse over 1m 4f. And he was the best horse over 1m 4f in last seasons league he would of been back this season if i had not lost my hard drive during last season and losing the game.

I have adjusted how i play for the league i no longer export 5 or 6 year olds i export 2yo and 3yo and only 4yo for Juvenile hurdles then I don't export then until 7yo they spend the 5yo career and 6yo career Novice Hurdles and chases so by 7yo they have both codes and i trial all 7up on both Flat and Jumps this keeps the numbers down for trials.

Gray

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Handicapper

simpleminds wrote:
Leon and i said last season that the 7yo horse in the combined was better than anything on the flat it wasn't secret. Sinn Script enter my old game early in season 7 and me being a NH trainer took it Jumping after he lost the Derby has a 3yo. He wasn't the best jumper in my game but during the trials he was the best horse over 1m 4f. And he was the best horse over 1m 4f in last seasons league he would of been back this season if i had not lost my hard drive during last season and losing the game.

I have adjusted how i play for the league i no longer export 5 or 6 year olds i export 2yo and 3yo and only 4yo for Juvenile hurdles then I don't export then until 7yo they spend the 5yo career and 6yo career Novice Hurdles and chases so by 7yo they have both codes and i trial all 7up on both Flat and Jumps this keeps the numbers down for trials.

Gray

You would normally expect a horse running in the derby to peak at say 4yo. Did Sinn Script's green bars peak at 7yo? or did they peak at 4yo, and deteriorated by 7yo but somehow he was still faster than as at 4yo?

Are these horses flat bred? NH bred? or a mixture of both?

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:23 pm
Group 3 winner

I hate the combined game, it has zero fun for me but is it only on 7 that the combined horses get a advantage to the flat horses. I wonder why Mark has made no effort to get the flat potential bar right.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:01 pm
Group 1 winner

The combined game is awesome.

If you want the best of both worlds for the league it's the one to go with for sure.

Not all 7yo are better on the flat. 6yo I tend to find are better but it depends on the maturity of the horse and when it hits peak potential.

You can also get amazing 2yo, 3yo from a combined game. It's not all about the older horses.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:41 pm
Group 1 winner

Having now played all three variants, though my combined game play is only at about 15 seasons, 70+ on both my flat and NH games, and maybe 30 more seasons from games I have already walked away from. There is a certain amount of predictably in the way the horses in each game mature and what sort of bars you can find.

Flat - no 100% potential horses, only those who had them early have them now (just Paul I think) access and competitive 2yo and 3yo horses, peak between 3 and 4, decline at 5, some hold at 5 and decline at 6, but not all that common.

NH - 100% horses not uncommon, but the game seems to stop throwing them up after about 30-40 seasons. Competitive at 7yo to 9yo (some older for the long distance chases). Peak is 7-8 more at 8yo, decline starts at 9yo but some hold potential until 10yo.

Combined - 100% horses not uncommon, but so far I am only getting them at about 6, early days for me. Competitive 2yo to 7yo. Peak seems to be 6yo with some holding until 7. Decline from 8 and few hold longer seen up to 9yo so far. There are other advantages such as having 2yo races for your jumpers and the extended period of horse progression on the flat, it is net net on the NH in my view.

If you wanted to average it out it is 4yo flat, 6yo combined and 8yo jump, nice coding logic in there somewhere, so really combined is just a mid point and likely best of both worlds. It basically the closest you have to a tff in being able to mix flat and jump skills.

I have pretty much stoped playing my Australian flat game now, it is literally flogging a dead horse, I am running one last trial for a few I had in training which I am sure it just going to be more time wasted and will put the game to sleep, I may do the odd season for 3yo’s as these seem to be more end game play from combined. I am not planning to play the jumps side in my combined game, but anything exported will trial both ways which makes the whole thing a real faff.

For those interested in the flat game only I am not sure it will matter too much, just don’t race and trial the jumps and keep them running flat until at least 7. Simples.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:46 am
Group 1 winner

Eventually everyone will have horses of about the same standard anyway, there will be an increasing lack of low rated handicap horses and there will be a much more even spread of top tier winners. The battle at the top is not so much improving, rather it is trying to stand still and not decline as much as the next man. Everyone will hit the wall and chances are since we basically flying blind, that level will be defined by the average of standard game stock, probably about the same for everyone and in all games. 30+ entries for the groups races, only a few league seasons away ;)

Least that’s my theory.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:53 am
Group 1 winner

I found 1 full and I breed 1 full on the flat when I last played it, the combined game is so unrealistic that I could never play it even if I breed better horses for the league. After all these years playing this game it has to have some fun to it and playing a jumps game is still fun . After SO6 I never wanted to get where I was just rushing through the game just to breed horses for the league like I did in that game. It's a bit numbingly boring do that. :lol: :lol: Lets hope its a good chelts :D :D

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:12 am
Group 1 winner

hemz so glad the combined game is awesome while the rest of us get shafted so much for a fair and even league guess thats only when it suits so ive totally wasted 100+ seasons absolute joke.....so done

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:06 am
Group 1 winner

All I can say is that Mr Yeats must be one hell of a freak flat bred from a flat game only 4
and has won a Gold Cup and a listed race giving away a ton of weight last week so Flatbreds
can do it but I guess they have to be machines stupid thing is I prob put in 100 times the work
into my classic horses compared to the out and out stayers who were a bit of an afterthought :lol:
yet Mr Yeats is without doubt one of my few stable stars this season.

Even placed in G1 company 4 furlongs short of his ideal trip and has won 4 from 7 this season

I Do feel your pain though Jalupen it should be an even split should have nothing to do with
what game you play. For me starting from scratch to start a flat based combined sched is not
the direction I'm willing to go in its too much pot luck at least I know what I'm doing I'm
fairly competitive.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

jalupen wrote:
hemz so glad the combined game is awesome while the rest of us get shafted so much for a fair and even league guess thats only when it suits so ive totally wasted 100+ seasons absolute joke.....so done

Who's getting shafted? Look at Paul's last season with a flat only game and what he did in the league.

I don't only play a combined game, also play a flat only game. I've 6 different ones in total and have group level league horses at 2yo, 3yo, 4yo, 6yo, 7yo. Some people are saying you can't breed good ones with a combined game that young.

The only issue I see in any of these league games are 5yo. They are so poor no matter how high the potential bar is. Something isn't right within the coding for this age group.

Lastly. The level of competition as stepped up quiet considerable this season.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:53 am
Group 1 winner

The nub of this is it should not matter what game variant you play, you should be able to enjoy league success if you put in the effort, it is not the fault of either those playing combined or playing flat only. The game variants themselves are the issue and all the talking in the world will not change it, only Mark can but I’ll not be holding my breath.

Starting again is actually quite enjoyable for me, and I cannot see why a combined variant means you have to play the jumps, just ignore that side completely from a races and trials perspective. Yes you may have a gold cup winner you never knew about but if you don’t care for the jumps just overlook it, the rest of the game is the same. Playing both a flat and combined game is probably the best all round strategy for flat league success but I understand why that will not work for everyone.

Hope you stick with it Steve.

Josh

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:22 am
Group 1 winner

I emailed Mark about the flat game issues ( decline at 5 instead of 6 and no 100% potential bars in flat game ) at the start of the season. I have sent a follow up email and will post here when I get a response.

As far for running wide. I put as many no draw bias courses in the schedule as possible. However if everyone uploads even pace horses and there is no pace in a race the running wide issue happens.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next